•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

largest shergottite!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:40 AM

I don't believe that you should leave the forum. I'm pretty sure most of the members would strongly encourage you stay, because you have a genuine interest in the subject. My suggestion would be to devote some study time, so you're more able to make accurate judgements on the material you come across. An excellent book to start with is The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites, by O. Richard Norton.

As for meteorite searching, the most likely places to find them are where they've been recovered previously; i.e. known strewn fields, new falls that can be traced to bolides breaking up in the atmosphere, Antarctica or North West Africa. I realize the last two are impractical, but aside from tracing new falls, that's where most specimens are found.

Lee

• DHEB, mark8888 and Kunama like this

#27 DHEB

DHEB

Viking 1

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

I also believe you do not need to leave this forum. You have great enthusiasm and interest. That is very good. But perhaps you need to sharpen your knowledge and dampen excess enthusiasm with a lot of caution, specially if it is about supposedly extraordinary findings.smile.gif

• lee14, mark8888 and Kunama like this

#28 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

The forum is for all of us to learn and its great that you want to go out and find meteorites. But you will find that there are far more meteor wrongs out there. I have read several books but if I had any meteorite that I wanted to be 100% on I would send out a piece for testing. 

We are not trying to discourage you but to teach you. I am far from an expert but I have saw many rocks like yours and they are all meteor wrongs. Your rock shows all the classic signs of a weathered terrestrial granite. You have mentioned several times about a fusion crust but never provide pictures of it. 

• lee14 and DHEB like this

#29 DHEB

DHEB

Viking 1

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

Just to add a humorous note that has to do with this thread:

error_types.png

From the genius comic XKCD: https://xkcd.com/2303/

• lee14, Kunama and Tropobob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics