•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First Astro-Photo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:13 AM

Wouldn't you know it, the film sprocket holes broke and it stuck on the first frame throughout  a few hours of film taking -- on a single frame.  Praktica-RTL Astro/Micro camera

AllInOne.jpg

Well, I eventually learned to do it lol.gif

Edited by Jeff B1, 05 May 2020 - 12:35 PM.

• Joe F Gafford, toolman, John Gauvreau and 7 others like this

#2 toolman

toolman

Lift Off

• Loc: Apex, NC

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

Brought back memories of me cursing at Pentax ME Super that was starting to fail me back in the day for some piggy back astro pics.

Much easier to laugh about nowgrin.gif

#3 djgilley

djgilley

Sputnik

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:48 AM

What speed film did you use Jeff? Though I didn't do much astrophotography back in the day, I too remember the days of Tech Pan and when 3200 speed film came out it was the bee's knees. Overall we've been having some great weather for astronomy here in Florida the last couple months (I'm 3 hours north of you on the Space Coast. Glad you're giving photography a try. * I should have read your post a little less quickly, what year was that taken?*

Clear skies,

David

Edited by djgilley, 05 May 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

I have a very similar photo containing (and Im proud of this) a lunar eclipse, Comet Hyakutake, and a dinner party, all superimposed and all clearly visible.

• John Boudreau, telesonic, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#5 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Vostok 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:06 AM

Taken by itself, it is a thing of beauty.

Print it say you meant to do it that way.

Space art!

#6 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

BTW, the camera was a Praktica-RTL Astro/Micro film camera I bought from someone in New York back in the 1970's. They were popular back then.  I bought it from Robert T. Little from Brooklyn N.Y.  He visited with us in Miami several times.

Praktica.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 05 May 2020 - 04:19 PM.

• Giorgos, happylimpet and djgilley like this

#7 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

What speed film did you use Jeff? Though I didn't do much astrophotography back in the day, I too remember the days of Tech Pan and when 3200 speed film came out it was the bee's knees. Overall we've been having some great weather for astronomy here in Florida the last couple months (I'm 3 hours north of you on the Space Coast. Glad you're giving photography a try. * I should have read your post a little less quickly, what year was that taken?*

Clear skies,

David

I think it was ektachrome slide film, maybe ASA 200 or 400.. That photo was made in 1974 I think. After I figured out why it happened I went to 2415 B&W for planet photos.  Parker and I hyped the film up for faster speed, but can’t remember what it was called.

The weather here in Highlands County has been hotter than usual, then it returned to “spring” again.  I have stopped observing, but still look at the sky for seeing and clouds.

#8 djgilley

djgilley

Sputnik

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

Hmm, we might have met at some point in the 80's Jeff, I'm not sure.  I went to the Winter Star Party in 1987 and met Tippy and his wife, and both Jack Newton and Don Parker spoke at Central Florida Astronomical Society meetings in the 80's. Remember a fellow named Tim Printy? He was big into astrophotography in CFAS. Went to a few star parties with the Tampa club (Hickory Hill and Chiefland in the late 80's). 

Apologies if I'm derailing the thread.

David Gilley

I think it was ektachrome slide film, maybe ASA 200 or 400.. That photo was made in 1974 I think. After I figured out why it happened I went to 2415 B&W for planet photos.  Parker and I hyped the film up for faster speed, but can’t remember what it was called.

The weather here in Highlands County has been hotter than usual, then it returned to “spring” again.  I have stopped observing, but still look at the sky for seeing and clouds.

#9 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:34 AM

Hmm, we might have met at some point in the 80's Jeff, I'm not sure.  I went to the Winter Star Party in 1987 and met Tippy and his wife, and both Jack Newton and Don Parker spoke at Central Florida Astronomical Society meetings in the 80's. Remember a fellow named Tim Printy? He was big into astrophotography in CFAS. Went to a few star parties with the Tampa club (Hickory Hill and Chiefland in the late 80's). 

Apologies if I'm derailing the thread.

David Gilley

The years have wrecked my memory. Tim Printy! Name rings a bell. I’ll have to think on it. I did some Mars talks at the 1985, 85 & 87 WSPs. Been to Chiefland several times as well. My 80 years is catching up

#10 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

I still have several film cameras;

Praktica  L (1969)
Praktica  RTL (1976)
Praktica  FX2 (1956)

and some Nikons.

#11 apollo16uvc

apollo16uvc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

Wouldn't you know it, the film sprocket holes broke and it stuck on the first frame throughout  a few hours of film taking -- on a single frame.  Praktica-RTL Astro/Micro camera

attachicon.gifAllInOne.jpg

Well, I eventually learned to do it lol.gif

I really like how this turned out, a happy accident. Its... different.

smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics