•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optic ZS66 - How to get started

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobik

Bobik

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:35 AM

I have just been given a nice new telescope as a present: ZS66 SD APO-B smile.gif

But I have no idea what the various parts are used for and, importantly, how to actually see something with this.
I was hoping to spot Venus before she disappears tonight. I have taken a picture of the various parts, hopefully
one of you can help me explain what those are. I have tried putting number 2 (a 1.25" eyepiece?) into number 1
but it is all blurry despite me trying to focus with the dials. Do I need a 2" 90° Dielectric Mirror Diagonal for SCT?
I have read that somewhere on the web but it seems to be €100+, so I only want to buy it if I really need it.

All help appreaciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• ZS66.jpg

• John O'Grady likes this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

Seems to be a diagonal missing, or is it out of shot ?

Think they 66 did need an SCT diagonal - why WO built a refractor needing an SCT diagonal I have no idea, seems completely stupid.

If so check threads as I believe it is supposed to screw on

After that it should be Scope-Diagonal-Eyepiece.

So 1-Diagonal-2

Reducer/Flattener is really for imaging and that I expect to be 1-3-Camera

With probably spacers between 3 and camera.

No idea what 4 is, looks like rubber covers. Maybe they fit either side of 3, the Flattener/Reducer as dust protection.

Nice scope, don't ever sell it, even if it is a bit quirky.

Edited by sg6, 07 May 2020 - 07:26 AM.

#3 Bobik

Bobik

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

Thank you.

Would this be a possible SCT diagonal that would fit?
2 Inch 90 Deg Dielectric Mirror Diagonal for SCT Astronomical Monocular Telescope w/ 1.25" Adapter LD2029A
Seems like a good price.

#4 sewhite

sewhite

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Georgia

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:57 PM

Bobik, 

Another option that would be lighter is a standard 1.1/4" star diagonal.  I have the Astro Tech version of that scope and it is an excellent performer for its size.  I use mine for astronomy and also for birdwatching but using a 1.1/4"  prism diagonal to keep the correct orientation ( not flipped ).   A prism diagonal can also be used for astronomy.  That's a very nice gift. 

Clear skies, 

Stan

• Agatha likes this

#5 jeg

jeg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

Bobik,

It's hard to tell from the picture, but believe #3 and #4 are both parts of a field flattener. If I'm correct, the side of #4 on the table should screw into #3. This part is for imaging and should be put aside, as it won't help you see visually.

As SG6 said, these refractors were made with an SCT thread on the back. You could remove #1 and screw on a 2-inch SCT star diagonal. 

If you leave #1 on, you can use a 1 1/4 inch star diagonal as sewhite suggested. 

The part you suggested, a 2-inch non-SCT star diagonal will not work because it will add too much length to the focal length.

You were on the right track by inserting the eyepiece (#2) into the visual back (#1), however without a diagonal you may be too close to the objective. Since you want to use this tonight, I'd try pulling the eyepiece back a bit. i.e. don't push it all the way into visual back. Half an inch may be enough to make a difference.

John

• Jaimo! and Agatha like this

#6 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

Bobik, 

There are good suggestions made by others here.  As mentioned, you can use a 1 1/4 star diagonal.  I don't see one in your picture.  You do not need to use a 2" sct diagonal.  If you have any 2" eyepieces, then you would need one.  

Did it come with any documentation?   If not, this will help identify your parts.  https://williamoptic...tar66sd_old.pdf

John (Jeg) gave good advice on pulling the eyepiece out a bit.   Get a nice 1 1/4 diagonal and enjoy the telescope.  I also have the AT (Astro Tech) version and love it.

Here is one of many available 1 1/4 diagonals. https://www.teleskop...fiber-body.html.  They also carry less expensive diagonals.   I linked to them because you mentioned euros.  

Have fun with your beautiful telescope.  smile.png

Edited by Agatha, 09 May 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• Jaimo! likes this

#7 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:04 PM

Congratulations on the new scope!  waytogo.gif

That is fine optical instrument you have there.  I have a dear friend who also gave me mine many, many years ago...  It is true you can attach an SCT 2" diagonal, and I have, but it is such a small wide field scope, I just felt it was not needed.  You can easily attach a 1.25" diagonal and be ready to view (see first photo).  Another thing I like about this scope that the foot has the ability to be attached to a photo-tripod, but also has the shape and dimensions of a Vixen dovetail, one of the more popular attachment methods to an astronomical mount.  What you also have is the 0.8x focal reducer/field flattner, in all intents and purposes it is rarely used for visual observing, but is very important for astrophotography with a large sensor camera (DSLR).  The 0.8x FR/FF also has the SCT threads and the blue ring can be screwed off and the flattner screwed on.  After that, you can screw a T-mount or T-ring to the flattner and attach a DSLR or other dedicated imaging camera, very desirable with this scope.  I have not used mine in years, but when I started AP, this was my most used scope as it have such a wide field and can easily be used unguided.

If it were me, I'd talk to your friend about a diagonal and maybe an eyepiece or two (that's a whole other conversation with MANY opinions on these forums) the 20mm SWAN eyepiece will only give you ~20x magnification, planetary details may be difficult.  This scope excels at sweeping the Milky Way, star fields and clusters, the Pleiades are outstanding with this scope.

With 1.25" diagonal

IMG_20200509_203213 - small.jpg

Attaching 0.8x FR/FF (mine is a different version, but they do the same thing)

IMG_20200509_203348 - small.jpg

Attaching camera (there is you can see the T-ring between the FR/FF and DSLR)

IMG_20200509_203441 - small.jpg

All set up for AP (I rotated the focuser upside down for easy access to the focuser lock and I also mount this side by side with another scope)

IMG_20200418_124258 - small.jpg

• Bobik likes this

#8 Simrisks

Simrisks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:45 PM

What flattener did you use??

#9 jerr

jerr

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

Hi Bobik

Did you succeed setting up this ZS66?

#10 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:04 PM

What flattener did you use??

William Optics 0.8x Field Flattener II , catalog number WE SCT-FF/FR

#11 jerr

jerr

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:19 AM

I have version III of this and hope that will work with the original WO visual back.

#12 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

I didn't realize how rare the WO FF II is...  I hope the III works well for you, keep us in the loop.  The Z66SD is great little scope and is a great value on the second hand market.  I am always tempted to grab the petzval version.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics