•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XT6 as a first telescope. Thoughts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#51 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

Before you run to the hills on the 6 inch f8, don't listen to strangers from a strange land. Consult with Alexander the Great somewhere in time. Or else you'll continue to be a Powerslave to aperture fever. All of this may give you fear of the dark.

Personally, I think he shouldn't waste his time always searching for those wasted years, but that's just me.

Ah, the classics . . .

#52 uptheirons726

uptheirons726

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Palmyra NJ

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

Before you run to the hills on the 6 inch f8, don't listen to strangers from a strange land. Consult with Alexander the Great somewhere in time. Or else you'll continue to be a Powerslave to aperture fever. All of this may give you fear of the dark. 

Sorry, had to go there. rockon.gif

Jon has always been down on these 6 in f8 scopes. Either one between 8 inch f6 and 6 in f8 are very good. You won't be able to make a bad choice between them. There are pluses and minuses to each of these.  The 8 in f6 is probably more common choice for those that can afford it.  However, I think the 6 in f8 is really good and very easy to carry all at one time around the yard. F8 is a bit easier going on eyepieces.  Etc.

Glad someone gets the Iron Maiden reference!

#53 JohnBear

JohnBear

Vanguard

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

Oh my, so many pro and con recommendations and advice on what to, and not to, buy!
What is an intelligent, eager beginner to do?

If only there was someplace one could go to see. and maybe even use. many different types and sizes of telescopes and associated equipment before making high value purchase decisions - someplace were one can get direct personal advice, help, and support from experienced astronomers that are not anonymous strangers in faraway online forums that argue and overload vulnerable newbies with too much conflicting advice. 

Oh my, oh my!  How can one make cost effective telescope buying decisions that won't be regretted in the future? 

https://nightsky.jpl...v/club-map.cfm 

https://lovethenight...-clubs-near-me/

https://www.astrolea...ubs-usa-state  

https://www.go-astro...ub-search.htm  

https://skyandtelesc...organizations/ 

Use  the above links only if you are willing to take a little time to learn about and actually use the different types of telescopes that are mentioned in this forum before make your own buying decisions. 

Best wishes, clear skies, and great fun start parties!

Also stay safe in these extraordinary times.

Edited by JohnBear, 09 May 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#54 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Bay,Northern Ontario,Canada

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

Oh my, so many pro and con recommendations and advice on what to, and not to, buy!
What is an intelligent, eager beginner to do?

If only there was someplace one could go to see. and maybe even use. many different types and sizes of telescopes and associated equipment before making high value purchase decisions - someplace were one can get direct personal advice, help, and support from experienced astronomers that are not anonymous strangers in faraway online forums that argue and overload vulnerable newbies with too much conflicting advice. 

Oh my, oh my!  How can one make cost effective telescope buying decisions that won't be regretted in the future? 

https://nightsky.jpl...v/club-map.cfm 

https://lovethenight...-clubs-near-me/

https://www.astrolea...ubs-usa-state  

https://www.go-astro...ub-search.htm  

https://skyandtelesc...organizations/ 

Use  the above links only if you are willing to take a little time to learn about and actually use the different types of telescopes that are mentioned in this forum before make your own buying decisions. 

Best wishes, clear skies, and great fun start parties!

Also stay safe in these extraordinary times.

You surely forget that most of those helpful guys in those helpful clubs run the high end stuff so what kind of help are those helpful guys going to be to a beginner save to push more bigger and costly stuff that they can read about and are given on here ??  Oh my ! Oh my !  What a predicament, lol !  Clear helpful skiys !  

#55 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

I can't recommend getting a 1.25" 40mm Plössl due to their small apparent field of view of about 43 degrees and long eye relief.  A 32mm Plössl produces the same true field of view at higher magnification and a more comfortable amount of eye relief.

#56 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:43 PM

THE choice of scope , whether its a 1.25 in or 2 inch focuser   isn't  why we don't make it in the hobby   ,   learning where its at is .

Novices have no idea of the benefits of a 2" focuser.  Supplying them with that information and letting them make their purchase decisions is no less than what experienced observers should do.

#57 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

I have no issues with 40mm plossls...and they do have their benefits in certain situations (exit pupil). I also have no issues with 1.25 inch focusers. However, I agree it's fine to let the beginners know there are options with pluses and minuses.

One thing I don't like is all the dislike for 6 inch F8 newts. Wonderful instruments and do have some pluses over 8 inch F6 newts and 10 inch F4.7 newts.

Really, the choice between all these sizes becomes personal and there are a lot of dependencies. Some people say go with a 12 inch F5. For me no way! Way too big as my 10 inch is already probably too big for me. I'd switch to truss format above 10. So many things to consider. That maybe better in this situation. Find out what type of observing the OP wants to do, price they want to pay on the main scope, accessories, weight they want to handle, will they need to move the scope around trees throughout the night, etc.

Edited by GOLGO13, 09 May 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#58 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

Hey , Dave said they're no good so  let it go     the only opinion around here is his , he's obviously the experienced observer  .    smile.gif

I said so such thing and am owed a retraction and an apology.

#59 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

Dave , please delete my account   here  thank you , gene

#60 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

One thing I don't like is all the hate for 6 inch F8 newts. Wonderful instruments and do have some pluses over 8 inch F6 newts and 10 inch F4.7 newts.

Hate?  Honestly, I have no idea where that's coming from.  I happen to own a 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT6.  (I also own 8, 10, 12.5, and 15" Dobs.)  If a prospective buyer can afford to pay a bit more and is willing to deal with more weight, then the advice to get an 8" is sound.  If they can't or are not, then the advice to purchase a 6" instead is equally sound.

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion XT6 April 15 IMG_8133 Processed Resized CN.jpg

#61 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

Not you Dave...the general talk about 6 inch F8's on CN. 

For 2 inch it does appear the Skywatcher has an option in the 6 inch F8 range. So that's an option if that size is still of interest to the OP.

#62 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Not you Dave...the general talk about 6 inch F8's on CN. 

For 2 inch it does appear the Skywatcher has an option in the 6 inch F8 range. So that's an option if that size is still of interest to the OP.

I know it wasn't directed at me.  However, you're going to have to refer me to the posts where "hatred" towards 6" Dobs is expressed.  I've never seen it myself.

#63 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

Novices have no idea of the benefits of a 2" focuser.  Supplying them with that information and letting them make their purchase decisions is no less than what experienced observers should do.

Well said especially when no extra cost is involved, for many starters that is a big thing !  Clear Skies !

#64 spereira

spereira

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Folks, this topic contains excellent information and advice about different options available for one's first telescope purchase.

Let's all remember to respect each other's opinions and play nice here.

Please keep the info and opinions coming, and let's lose the incorrect quotations, the "hating", and the requests for account deletions.  They all serve no useful purpose here.

smp

#65 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

Softened my wording...no need to be unhappy. Just having discussions about the differences between the common newts availiable.

Jon (who I respect and personally like quite a bit) has always been against the 6 inch F8. I understand the thought process. But I do believe the 6 inch F8 can coexist in this area.

Edited by GOLGO13, 09 May 2020 - 05:06 PM.

#66 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

So what Dave , since I didn't suggest the 2 inch focuser  as mandatory    then that makes me  an 'inexperienced observer "   .    " In no less than what experienced observers should do ! "  You think that'll be his biggest worry out there at night  , that he don't have a 2 inch focuser or that missing  AFOV from a 32 mm plossl  .  

#67 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

And here I was worried the Iron Maiden references might derail this thread.

#68 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

I can't recommend getting a 1.25" 40mm Plössl due to their small apparent field of view of about 43 degrees and long eye relief.  A 32mm Plössl produces the same true field of view at higher magnification and a more comfortable amount of eye relief.

I RECOMMENDED a 40 mm plossl ,    but  Dave dismissed my opinion   , what  the  5 mm exit pupil wouldn't have been helpful  at F8  or Dave just don't like 40 mm plossls  . What about my opinion , what I thought , my take on it  ?

#69 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

I said so such thing and am owed a retraction and an apology.

And you're right Dave ,   I apologize  to uptheirons726 for derailing his  thread .    I only expressed my thoughts   and  opinions and you dismissed me outta hand   without even a  smile.gif

#70 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:26 PM

And here I was worried the Iron Maiden references might derail this thread.

Another time, another place
A hollow universe in space
I took a trip to see the sights
That will be black over a night
One way ticket now returned
My shootin' stars are vastly burnt
On the edge that we can't see
Let's shot the moon, you and me
And that particular you'll see
A just too lonesome galaxy
Shadows in the stars
We will not return
Humanity won't save us
At the speed of light

#71 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

Softened my wording...no need to be unhappy. Just having discussions about the differences between the common newts availiable.

Jon (who I respect and personally like quite a bit) has always been against the 6 inch F8. I understand the thought process. But I do believe the 6 inch F8 can coexist in this area.

Not only that but what one doesn’t like the next guy loves !  Clear loving skize !

#72 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

I RECOMMENDED a 40 mm plossl ,    but  Dave dismissed my opinion   , what  the  5 mm exit pupil wouldn't have been helpful  at F8  or Dave just don't like 40 mm plossls  . What about my opinion , what I thought , my take on it  ?

Am I glad its you saying all of this and not me !  Clear friendly skize guys !

#73 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

And you're right Dave ,   I apologize  to uptheirons726 for derailing his  thread .    I only expressed my thoughts   and  opinions and you dismissed me outta hand   without even a  smile.gif

Again I did nothing of the sort and yet you saw fit to attack me personally.

#74 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

I merely stated the facts.  It's not a matter of liking them or not.  For your information, I happen to own a 40mm Plossl.  

#75 spereira

spereira

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

Clearly, my warning went unheeded.

:lock:

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics