•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie here.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: IN

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

Been doing  astro imaging with a DSLR for years. But now want a new hobby. Want to learn how to take pic though a microscope. Thought about using my Canon 450d but it seems like it would be to heavy, I have a decent Edmunds Scientific compound scope I bought years ago. It has nice optics and built good for the $200 I paid. But would like to get a Stereo Bino low power scope.  I did not even know Cloudy Nights had a Microscope forum. So cool, Thanks

#2 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:01 AM

Hello Starbob 1,

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about stereo-microscopes, but this chap, who is a microbiologist and very keen amateur microscopist, has a lot of good advice on all sorts of microscopes: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=EhjAS6Bewjk

He seems to have an eye out for bargains too, and does lots of imaging based on his other videos, so I think if you contacted him, he'd likely point you in the right direction. See info on this link:

https://www.youtube....PNzNsbLug/about

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Good luck with your purchases!

Neil.

• starbob1 likes this

#3 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

Thanks Neil ; I found a great site for Microscopes

Microbehunters. They have a great forum for all things microscopes. I found a nice Amscope Stereo scope. 

#4 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:38 AM

You're welcome Bob!

Yep, I've been subscribing to Microbehunter for a while now. Never seen such an enthusiastic guy about microscopes and microscopy before!

He's got loads of projects to explore and even saved me a lot of dosh on stuff I thought I would need.

Amscope are good!

With best wishes,

Neil.

#5 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

Well my Anscope came and wow it sure is different that a single lens compound I have used. The 3d deapth is amazing. Here are some pis. I took some pics though it with my Canon dslr 450d. This is my first try' focus and lighting is so critical ' I thought astro imaging was hard 'this is a whole new level.  Thanks

xgt70mMl.jpg

xgt70mMt.jpg

Edited by starbob1, 13 May 2020 - 01:57 PM.

• astroneil and Tropobob like this

#6 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

Way to go Bob; glad you're having fun with your new toy!

Best,

Neil.

• starbob1 likes this

#7 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

Is the photo of a dandelion?

Another good microscope youtube channel I really like is "Journey to the Microcosmos". The channel is only ten months old, but they offer a very professional presentation.

https://www.youtube....wX5Q3g/featured

After watching some of the posted video's, I went out and collected some water myself, and was amazed at how much life is in just a single tiny drop. I also tried to take some photos using a webcam, but my own photos did not turn out as nice as the aquatic images they capture.

• astroneil likes this

#8 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Yes that is a dandelion. Pond water from my koi pond is so sool to look at. All kinds of critters to study. I just need to learn all the names. Thanks for the link also. I will check it out for sure.

#9 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Pic of my play area. Thanks

QnCkVfSl.jpg

Pic of a Bees mouth I took. Canon 450d prime focus

BNuBNF9l.jpg

• Tropobob, ssantia, Mbinoc and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics