•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miss-shapen stars ES127 FCD100 CF

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 rdmarco

rdmarco

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Elkhorn, Nebraska

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

It looks like some kind of diffraction artifact to me.  Try defocusing about 5mm on a field of bright stars or four images with the bright defocused star near each comer.

If you want me to look at it, PM the picture to me.  I often don't return to posts once I respond because I just don't always remember too.

It looks like a diffraction artifact though. 

It may very well have been. The scope is now on it's way back. I should have the replacement direct from Explore Scientific by Saturday.

• Mr. Mike likes this

#27 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

But yet so many have had great success with them. They come highly recommended by more than a few. There must be more to the story here. I'll followup when I get the replacement.

There is more to the story - Most people that have them are pleased and there is nothing to post about.  Happens all the time.  Yes, some get to customers with unacceptable optics and in those cases I would also send it back and make them get it right.  My scope has been excellent thus far.  And, it seems that they are trying to "right" the situation which is really good to hear.   Hope it works out for you. smile.gif

Please report back with how it goes.

Edited by Mr. Mike, 15 May 2020 - 02:56 PM.

• rdmarco likes this

#28 rdmarco

rdmarco

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:54 PM

OK,  I received the replacement scope yesterday, and tested it last night. It performed great. Slewed to Regulus, Focus W/Bahtinov , stars look fine. I then slewed to M61 to try capturing the supernova. I completed 10 160s subs before the clouds rolled in. slewed to zenith, took the calibrations, and went to bed. I was surprised this morning to discover that I actually captured something usable! My first supernova. Anyways, three cheers for ES customer support. They are no joke.

Rob

RegulusNewScopeSM.jpg

• grids, eros312, droe and 1 other like this

#29 rdmarco

rdmarco

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

Almost forgot! the M61 SN 2020jfo image. only 8 stacked 160s subs before the new scope cloud cover rolled in. Still, with Bortle 7 skies, it's like OK.

attachment=1495424:M61Anotated.png]

Attached Thumbnails

• M61Anotated.png

• drprovi57, eros312, leviathan and 2 others like this

#30 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:09 AM

Another ES happy ending!

• rdmarco likes this

#31 Star_Lord

Star_Lord

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:13 AM

Thank everyone for your helpful advice and suggestions to help @rdmarco.

I'm strongly considering this scope as a Silver Grade Refurb.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this scope as a Silver Grade Refurb?

Maybe the inspection and refurbish process would eliminate the risk of getting one of these with issues.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics