•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

returning to the hobby, starting with a new APO

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pgranch

pgranch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

Hey everybody, I'm coming back to the hobby after about 5 years away.  My ex-wife stole all of my gear during the divorce so I have nada, and dont have 20K to go replace everything right now, so, I figured I would start small.  I had the Orion ED80 as my APO previously, but was curious if anything "better" has developed in that field?

I'm looking for something 80-105mm, doublet or triplet, to be used visually for now, and as a astrophotography APO later.  My end scope is going to either be a 14" edge, or something like a 20" CDK if i can afford it when the time comes wink.gif  I just need a lil something to get me viewing again. This is step one, along with some Baader filters and ES eyepieces

Edited by pgranch, 11 May 2020 - 08:15 PM.

• Rollo likes this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

welcome back
have fun again.cool.gif

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:31 PM

Hey everybody, I'm coming back to the hobby after about 5 years away.  My ex-wife stole all of my gear during the divorce so I have nada, and dont have 20K to go replace everything right now, so, I figured I would start small.  I had the Orion ED80 as my APO previously, but was curious if anything "better" has developed in that field?

I'm looking for something 80-105mm, doublet or triplet, to be used visually for now, and as a astrophotography APO later.  My end scope is going to either be a 14" edge, or something like a 20" CDK if i can afford it when the time comes wink.gif  I just need a lil something to get me viewing again. This is step one, along with some Baader filters and ES eyepieces

The ED80 is a marvelous scope for starting out in AP, it's what I used.  These days I'd recommend something a little faster, like this, similar price.

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

• lynnelkriver likes this

#4 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

I, too, am returning to this sport after a long (12+ years) hiatus and recently traded an APM/TMP 152/1200 that I kept in a case for all of those years for a C11 EdgeHD/CGX combo last December.

While I think your desire for an APO is valid, I would consider getting the very best mount that is within your budget first.

My last kit was an APM/TMB 152/1200 on a Paramount ME. If I could, I would have gone for another mount of the same calibre as the Paramount, but alas, I am retired and not very good at picking lottery numbers. 

#5 cl300stick

cl300stick

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:01 PM

Try this place. Many of us have received telescopes fro them. Very reliable and excellent scopes for the $. Their ED scopes are exceptional value! Shipping is fast (4 days for me!). MikiSJ is right when he says "get the very best mount for your budget". I did not an spent too much time learning the hard way. Welcome back and we hope to hear and see how it goes for you this time.

https://www.teleskop...or Teles...html

Andrew

Edited by cl300stick, 11 May 2020 - 09:01 PM.

#6 pgranch

pgranch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:39 PM

Oh, I remember the mount issues, definitely looking for that too.  I forgot about AT, so thank you.  its a little pricey, but this looks beautiful:

https://www.astronom...a.html?___SID=U

#7 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:31 AM

Don’t count out Stellarvue...

https://www.stellarv...imited-edition/

Great quality scopes. They have some great SV alt-az mounts as well.

Welcome back. Good luck!

Edited by jimandlaura26, 12 May 2020 - 02:33 AM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#8 kmparsons

kmparsons

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

This is the second story I have heard lately of telescopes lost in a divorce. Reminds me of what Lewis Grizzard, the late, great writer for The Atlanta Journal said after another messy divorce: "I will never get married again. I will just find a woman I don't like and give her a house." 

Anyway, nothing can get your mind off of earthly travails as wonderfully as viewing the night sky. Fortunately, we enjoy an abundance of riches in the 80-105mm apo category. I personally have been a fan of Stellarvue since getting my AT1010 "Nighthawk" many years ago. Great scopes, great service, and reasonable price. Lately I have bought Astro Tech 60mm and 92mm scopes. Each is a jewel. Good hunting! 

• Rollo, leviathan and bobzeq25 like this

#9 pgranch

pgranch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:43 AM

WHY!!! Why would you link the Raptor, limited to 12, and at a price just out of my immediate budget!! lol. That is a beautiful scope though, ****

#10 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:14 AM

It's probably best if we know your budget before we lure you to places you really don't want to go. $$$$

#11 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

I just bought this recently as a grab n go with the thought that if I ever did want to get into ap, this would be a great starter scope to begin with. And welcome to CN!

#12 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

I just bought this recently as a grab n go with the thought that if I ever did want to get into ap, this would be a great starter scope to begin with. And welcome to CN!

It would be an OK starter scope for learning DSO AP.

Something smaller, shorter focal length, lighter, faster would be better.  As well as being cheaper.

Learning DSO AP is a unique activity.  It's quite unintuitive, and your intuition can mislead you.

#13 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:50 PM

My recommendation was based on the ops posts and the fact that he said he wanted to do visual foremost at first, and keeping within the range of his aperture size, I stand by my recommendation. YMMV.

• Starman81 likes this

#14 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

Hey everybody, I'm coming back to the hobby after about 5 years away ... dont have 20K to go replace everything right now, so, I figured I would start small.  I had the Orion ED80 as my APO previously, but was curious if anything "better" has developed in that field?  I'm looking for something 80-105mm, doublet or triplet, to be used visually for now, and as a astrophotography APO later. 

I can see the advantages of keeping it small for astrophotography, but then you have that pesky visual desire as well and also not a lot of cash.  I would suggest to maybe just think the visual end right now and optimize for that?  IMO more important given the Mars opposition coming in October!  So think you should be leaning more towards the higher end of your range. 

I would recommend the AstroTech 111 EDT ($1399).  Has enough aperture for some good planetary, has quite a following, also people do get some great images through it as well, and will make a nice companion scope to your some day C14 Edge!  Given all of that, might be worth it stepping just the few millimeters above the 105 that you mentioned as max.

Scope - https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

Review - https://www.cloudyni...-at111edt-r2989

Images - https://www.astrobin...tech-at111-edt/

Used Equipment? 

Some candidates out there right now...

https://www.cloudyni...let-apo-fpl-53/

Others to keep an eye out for...

https://www.cloudyni...dt-apo-reduced/

Edited by BillP, 14 May 2020 - 04:13 PM.

• Rollo likes this

#15 pgranch

pgranch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

thanks Bill!  absolutely agree about the desire.  my last setup was the ED80 piggybacked to my C11, with a SXVR CCD and Baader filters, really miss it.  This is just a chance to one-up my last rig, haha. those AT's are looking really nice, I'm might just swing for one.  As far as budget, I dont really have one set, it just equated to time. under 2k for the scope is preferred

#16 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

The desire to have just one telescope for both imaging and visual is very common.  The problem is, those are two different things.  _Learning_ imaging is even farther away from visual.

The camera works, not because it's better than your eyes, but because it's very different.  Your eyes need aperture to gather light fast, and don't care a lot about tracking errors.  The brain compensates.  The long exposure camera is a different story.  Aperture is not as important, because its tool for gathering data is long exposure, _very_ precisely tracked.  Dumb .005mm pixels are completely intolerant of tracking errors.

Compromise is difficult.  An analogy.  A pro photographer has two assignments.  A professional soccer game and an indoor wedding.  He needs a long telephoto for the game, a wide angle for the wedding.  Compromising on a short telephoto will likely get him fired from both jobs.

My best suggestion with your budget, for scopes.  The $469 AT72EDII for learning imaging.  An 6-8 inch Dob for visual.  It falls under "use the right tool for the right job".  If you want to start with visual, just get the Dob first.

I didn't invent that idea, I stole it.  <smile>  Scroll down the page to the picture of the very expert author.  That's a $500 70mm refractor on a $1200 Sirius (HEQ5Pro) mount.  He didn't choose them because he had them lying around.  <smile>  That's nearly an ideal setup for learning imaging with a $1700 (plus camera) budget.

http://www.astropix....bgda/index.html

Whatever you decide, this book will be a big help.  DSO AP is wacko unintuitive, the very low signal to noise ratio, and the long exposures change the game.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0999470906/

Edited by bobzeq25, 17 May 2020 - 10:43 PM.

• eros312 and Chesterguy1 like this

#17 pgranch

pgranch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:31 AM

bobzeq, I dont think you read my post accurately, i dont need "beginner" gear, my last setup was a 80mm APO as a guider for my 1100mm SCT, that had a SXVR CCD camera for visual and imaging.  I'm not looking for "one scope to rule them all", I'm looking for a great APO to use visually while living in japan, that i can later use as a guider, like i did before.  Based on the recent choices, it will most likely be something 80-115, probably AT, since the price is a good deal.

• Rollo likes this

#18 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:34 AM

To the OP; Astronomics will be offering a 102mm f7 doublet with FCD100/Lanth objective soon(?). Similar to the SV Access that has been discontinued. There is an active thread on this with link. I believe its model number is 102EDL.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics