•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEW: Raspberry Camera V3 ASCOM driver

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#76 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:09 AM

I already bought two via https://www.kiwi-ele...landing-release

#77 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:31 AM

This time I focused a bit better and increased the exposure time (60s) and gain a little bit: https://youtu.be/YTOInCZZe3Y

Make sure you play it in the 1080p mode although YouTube is already reducing the quality a bit (no. of stars compared with the original (https://www.musqueti...se_20200525.mp4).

Edited by RoboRob, 30 May 2020 - 05:42 AM.

• brave_ulysses likes this

#78 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

My install falls down here.

make

./install_RPiHQ.sh

make comes up command not found

./install_RPiHQ.sh comes up as no file or directory

make ./install_RPiHQ.sh also no file or directory

OK so I made the new directory in Allsky tried to install and get permission denied

Edited by telfish, 30 May 2020 - 10:56 AM.

#79 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

My install falls down here.

make

./install_RPiHQ.sh

make comes up command not found

./install_RPiHQ.sh comes up as no file or directory

make ./install_RPiHQ.sh also no file or directory

OK so I made the new directory in Allsky tried to install and get permission denied.

make should just work on your RPi. If it doesn't work install make first:

sudo apt-get install make

This install make when it is not yet installed as part of your Raspberry Pi distribution. Then type:

make all

You should not try to use make on ./install_RPiGQ.sh !

What make does is use the included Makefile to compile the needed executable, in this case it makes the needed capture_RPiHQ executable out of the source files (like captureRPiHQ.cpp)...

Send me a PM if you still run into problem and we can have a Skype, TeamViewer or AnmyDesk session to get you going...

#80 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

Many thanks. I am pretty new to the Pi. I will let you know how it goes.

#81 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:23 PM

When you using the AllSky gui you need another config file to get the available options limited. get it this way:

cd /etc/raspap

sudo mv camera_options.json camera_options.json.org

sudo wget "https://www.musqueti...a_options.json"

sudo chown www-data:www-data camera_options.json

sudo chmod 644 camera_options.json

Make sure you get the URL right in the wget command (the forum shortened it in the posting but when you hover over it with your mouse you should see the whole URL in your browser status bar!

Edited by RoboRob, 30 May 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#82 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

When you have the HQ camera working on your Raspberry Pi (test using raspistill -v -o test.jpg) then download and install the adjusted AllSky software via:

cd ~

sudo apt-get install git make

git clone --recursive https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky.git

cd allsky

sudo ./install_RPiHQ.sh

Manual starting image capturing can be started via (but it is also possible to automatically start image capturing after a reboot of the Raspberry Pi):

./allsky_RPiHQ.sh

The web GUI can be installed via:

sudo gui/install.sh

cd /etc/raspap

sudo wget "https://www.musqueti...a_options.json"

Test the GUI software using your favorite browser via http://[Raspberry Pi IP address]

More instructions for using the AllSky software can be found at github page https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky, scroll down on this page for the original instruction of the ZWO version of this software…

Not implemented yet for the RPi HQ camera:

- dark frame correction

- text annotations

Please use:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky.git

instead of:

git clone https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky.git

in the instructions above...

Also if you haven't install make yet change:

sudo apt-get install git

into:

sudo apt-get install git make

Also skip the original stated make step... This is already done by the install script after the needed modules are downloaded...

install_RPiHQ.sh also needs to be executed with sudo:

sudo ./install_RPiHQ.sh

Edited by RoboRob, 31 May 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#83 MattPenn

MattPenn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

Yesterday a lot of testing doen, resulting in 9 unguided subs of M51 at 200 sec @ ISO 400 (quickly integrated (without flats, darks or biases) in APP and post-integration work in PixInsight.

Camera: RPi camera v3

Mount: CGEM

Scope: TS 80 / 480mm AP

M51b_RPi_Camera.png

Congrats, and fantastic work!

I've been struggling a bit on my own using raspistill calls from a bash script, and running the RPi4 headless through VNC.  Just discovered your thread here, and will spend some time going through it over the next few days.

Let me prime you guys with a question that I haven't found addressed yet (although I did only a quick scan so far):  I'm interested in taking a rapid sequence of different exposures and storing uncompressed images.  This is what we did for the Citizen CATE Experiment in 2017 using a FLIR (PtG) Grasshopper.  So far my bash scripts give me something much slower than our 2017 cadence with that USB3 camera.  I also haven't seen any way to provide a hardware exposure trigger for the HiQ Cam.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?  I'd love to figure this out and take the HiQ cam to the Dec 2020 total eclipse instead of the FLIR.

#84 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Matt

I have written full Alpaca drivers for ZWO cameras that runs on Raspberry Pi's.  I have extended the Alpaca command set to include a SEQUENCE command that will take as many pictures as you want, with or without a delay between them.  It stores each picture on the R-Pi as JPEG and FITS.

For those that dont know what Alpaca is, it is similar to ASCOM but is for "the rest of the world".  Meaning that it does not require Windows.  It is a JSON based network protocol that has all of the same commands and data that ASCOM does, but the message passing is TCP/IP based using JSON.

I also have support for the FLIR grasshopper cameras.

My long term goal is to make this fully open source.  Before I release it I have to get the code to fully pass the ASCOM/Alpaca test suite.

In the mean time, if you are interested, I will be glad to share it with you.

Mark

p.s.

Once I can get my hands on one of the new R-Pi Cameras, I am going to add support for that camera as well.

Edited by mark77, 30 May 2020 - 10:26 PM.

• mikefulb and RoboRob like this

#85 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:20 AM

Congrats, and fantastic work!

I've been struggling a bit on my own using raspistill calls from a bash script, and running the RPi4 headless through VNC.  Just discovered your thread here, and will spend some time going through it over the next few days.

Let me prime you guys with a question that I haven't found addressed yet (although I did only a quick scan so far):  I'm interested in taking a rapid sequence of different exposures and storing uncompressed images.  This is what we did for the Citizen CATE Experiment in 2017 using a FLIR (PtG) Grasshopper.  So far my bash scripts give me something much slower than our 2017 cadence with that USB3 camera.  I also haven't seen any way to provide a hardware exposure trigger for the HiQ Cam.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?  I'd love to figure this out and take the HiQ cam to the Dec 2020 total eclipse instead of the FLIR.

1) did you do a sudo rpi-update lately (a new release of raspistill is included which solves a delay issue).

2) you need to add the following flags to raspistill to ensure metering is off to speed up processing:

-metering off --analoggain [value 1 - 16] -st --burst --mode 3

3) PS: note the shutter parameter can be as high as 240 seconds and still work

4) ISO has no function when the analog gain parameter is used

Edited by RoboRob, 31 May 2020 - 01:57 AM.

#86 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:25 AM

Matt

I have written full Alpaca drivers for ZWO cameras that runs on Raspberry Pi's.  I have extended the Alpaca command set to include a SEQUENCE command that will take as many pictures as you want, with or without a delay between them.  It stores each picture on the R-Pi as JPEG and FITS.

For those that dont know what Alpaca is, it is similar to ASCOM but is for "the rest of the world".  Meaning that it does not require Windows.  It is a JSON based network protocol that has all of the same commands and data that ASCOM does, but the message passing is TCP/IP based using JSON.

I also have support for the FLIR grasshopper cameras.

My long term goal is to make this fully open source.  Before I release it I have to get the code to fully pass the ASCOM/Alpaca test suite.

In the mean time, if you are interested, I will be glad to share it with you.

Mark

p.s.

Once I can get my hands on one of the new R-Pi Cameras, I am going to add support for that camera as well.

Well done, maybe you should start a new thread on this?

#87 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

Setup SD card with the Buster NOOB build

Goto: https://www.raspberr...ownloads/noobs/

Choose: NOOBS Lite Network install only and download the zip file.

Copy the content of the ZIP file (so unzipped) onto the SD card.

Put SD card in Raspberry Pi and fire it up...

When starting with Command Line Interface (CLI):

Change password to your liking with:

passwd

Configure the Raspberry Pi:

sudo raspi-config

Enter the hostname (if you want it to be different)

Switch on interfaces->camera

Optional switch on interfaces->SSH (for ssh access, e.g. with Putty from Windows machine)

Close raspi-config and choose the option to reboot.

When starting in graphical user interface (GUI):

Answer the localization questions in the dialogues to your liking and change your password.

Start Preferences -> Raspberry Pi Configuration (via the raspberry icon at the left top):

tab System:
- fill in the desired hostname
- select if you want to boot with the graphical (GUI) or command line interface (CLI)

tab Interfaces:
- Switch the camera on
- Optional switch SSH on (for ssh access, e.g. with Putty from Windows machine)

tab Performance:
- set GPU memory on 128 MB

Press the Ok button and select reboot.

Continue here regardless if you using the GUI or the command line interface:

When booting via GUI open terminal window (not needed for command line interface):

Update and upgrade the Raspberry Pi:

sudo rpi-update

(answer with y each time y/n is presented)

reboot with:

sudo shutdown -r 0

After the reboot when in GUI mode open the terminal window:

To finalize the updates on the Raspberry Pi execute:

sudo apt update -y
sudo apt full-upgrade -y

Ensure in the future your Raspberry Pi automatically updates all packages:

sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades -y

Install AllSky HQ camera version:

We make sure git software is installed to download the software from Github (this step might no longer be needed, I think git is already in the latest RPi build).

cd ~

sudo apt-get install git

Now we retrieve the latest AllSky software (with HQ camera support):

git clone https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky.git

Install the Allsky software:

cd ~/allsky

sudo ./install_RPiHQ.sh

Ignore the 2 compile warnings when compiling sunwait.cpp

Answer y on the question to reboot and open a terminal windows again after the reboot is finished.

Manual starting image capturing can be started via (but normally the Allsky image capture service starts automatically after a reboot of the Raspberry Pi). During daytime the camera should start to capture images which are stored in ~/allsky/image.jpg and are overwritten each time a new image is taken, during night time the images are stored in the folder ~/allsky/images/[date]/.

cd ~/allsky

./allsky_RPiHQ.sh

The web GUI can be installed via:

cd ~/allsky

sudo gui/install.sh

Reboot when requested and re-open a terminal session and execute the following 5 commands to ensure the HQ camera setting file is installed:

cd /etc/raspap
sudo cp ~/allsky/camera_options.json camera_options.json

Test the GUI software using your favorite browser via http://[Raspberry Pi IP address]. Default username and password are: admin / secret. The IP address of the Raspberrry Pi can be obtained by executing:

hostname -I

Check and change the default settings in the ~/allsky/config.sh file and, when using the AllSky web GUI via the camera settings page, or if you choose to only use the command line interface option check and alter the settings.json file in the ~/allsky directory.

You should be good to go now!!!

More instructions for using the AllSky software can be found at GitHub page https://github.com/RobboRob/allsky. scroll down on this page for the original instruction of the ZWO version of this software…

Not implemented yet for the Raspberry Pi HQ camera:
- dark frame correction
- text annotations

Edited by RoboRob, 04 June 2020 - 10:04 AM.

• ccs_hello, MattPenn, premk19 and 1 other like this

#88 MattPenn

MattPenn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

(Psst --- Rob, your GitHub link has a trailing semi-colon)

• RoboRob likes this

#89 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:05 AM

(Psst --- Rob, your GitHub link has a trailing semi-colon)

fixed...

#90 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

This section is now simplified:

cd ~/allsky

sudo gui/install.sh

Reboot when requested and re-open a terminal session and execute the following 5 commands to ensure the HQ camera setting file is installed:

cd /etc/raspap
sudo cp ~/allsky/camera_options.json camera_options.json

is replaced by:

cd ~/allsky

sudo gui/install_RPiHQ.sh

Reboot when requested.

#91 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:12 AM

It seems that the video memory split with raspi-config of 128 MB is not enough and this might result in kernal panicks. Better configure a memory split  of 256 MB.

• premk19 likes this

#92 kubazz

kubazz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Hi!

some time ago I had an idea to build new micro-astro setup that I can use from my window and set up in seconds. Around the same time RPi HQ Camera was announced so I decided to use it as I was always looking for excuse to buy Raspberry Pi to tinker around.

Some pictures I got so far (Bortle 4 sky, no moon):

Messier 3 

Canon FD 200/2.8 (@f2.8)

iOptron Cube Pro (Alt-Az)

128x21s

sZh3zC7.jpg

Bode's, Cigar and NCG 3077 galaxies
Canon FD 200/2.8 (@f3.3)

iOptron Cube Pro (Alt-Az)

120x21s

UpI4B5y.jpg

Moon
Tair-3 300/4.5 (@f8)

Auto settings, single photo

NF9cEfo.jpg

All images shot in RAW using raspistill, converted to TIFF using dcraw, stacked in DSS and post-processed in Photoshop, Lightroom and Topaz Denoise. Didn't get as much light as I wanted but weather was not supporting my hobby recently.

Overall, I think it is a pretty capable little camera. It has some issues - biggest one is that it performs on-chip noise reduction. I guess it is Sony's "Star Eater" - there is no way to turn it off as of today, maybe if full datasheet ever leaks or gets released it will be possible. Not a dealbreaker but artificial patterns in noise are visible and small stars get green-ish. Small pixels also show that Canon FD 200/2.8 with fungus isn't sharpest tool in the shed (no surprise there, I'm already looking for upgrade to something sharper with less chromatic aberration). Getting colours out of stacked image right is very hard (but maybe because I'm a noob).

Noise performance is okay, I took some shots with Sony a5100 and RPi Cam using the same settings and lens and after cropping photo from a5100 to match RPi's FOV and scaling them both to the same resolution it even seemed like RPi had less noticeable noise and more detail due to its much higher resolution.

I attached Peltier cooler with radiator and fan to back of the camera board using 3mm thermal tape and thermal noise is now not noticeable at all, dark frames are almost fully black.

There were few software hoops to jump through at first, but after recent updates to raspistill everything works well. After getting latest firmware by rpi-update, those are command I used for taking pictures:

30s exposures over 1 hour:

raspistill --mode 3 --exposure off --shutter 30000000 -t 3600000 --ISO 100 --awb off --analoggain 16.0 --digitalgain 1.0 --raw --timelapse 500 --nopreview --burst -st -o le_test_%04d.jpg

convert all images in current folder to 16bit linear TIFFs using dcraw:

for f in *.jpg ; do ~/dcraw-master/dcraw -T -6 -W -r 3.0 1.0 1.49 1.0 -g 1 1 "$PWD/$f" ; done

edit: There is one more issue - this camera leaks in a lot of light between camera board and lens mount. Even light from 7" display standing 50cm away was visible on some frames. A bit of black electrical tape around lens mount and camera board junction fixed this issue. I have not seen this reported by anyone else, so maybe my copy is faulty (I tried tightening the screws holding lens, made no difference), but be aware of this anyway.

Edited by kubazz, 08 June 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• tjay, lambermo, brave_ulysses and 5 others like this

#93 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

For an hours  exposure with a $50 camera those pics are spectacular.

• RoboRob likes this

#94 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:00 PM

Hi!

some time ago I had an idea to build new micro-astro setup that I can use from my window and set up in seconds. Around the same time RPi HQ Camera was announced so I decided to use it as I was always looking for excuse to buy Raspberry Pi to tinker around.

Some pictures I got so far (Bortle 4 sky, no moon):
[/code]

Great stuff! Beware DeNoise however, as it can give you some funky artifacts. I usually mix in some of the unprocessed layer through an alpha channel.
  • RoboRob likes this

#95 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

When using the RPi HQ version of the AllSky Software please run once in a while a:

git pull

make

to ensure you run the latest version of the software (I'm still making some enhancements or fix some bugs)...

• brave_ulysses and RossW like this

#96 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:38 AM

Thunderstorm on the AllSkyCam:

image-20200613004331.jpg

image-20200613004721.jpg

Edited by RoboRob, 14 June 2020 - 03:39 AM.

• R Botero, brave_ulysses, RichA and 4 others like this

#97 kubazz

kubazz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:28 PM

It has some issues - biggest one is that it performs on-chip noise reduction. I guess it is Sony's "Star Eater" - there is no way to turn it off as of today, maybe if full datasheet ever leaks or gets released it will be possible. Not a dealbreaker but artificial patterns in noise are visible and small stars get green-ish.

I cannot edit my previous post, but now you can disregard this remark about on-chip noise reduction as RPi devs added option to turn it off: https://www.raspberr...f=43&p=1684425 

I cannot wait to test it out, samples posted in linked thread look very promising.

Also forgot to mention it earlier, but thanks for creating the ASCOM driver!

#98 astro-anon

astro-anon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:31 PM

I don't know why but using the gui im only getting a max of 21 second exposures

#99 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:31 AM

did you do the sudo rpi-update step in the setup?

#100 RoboRob

RoboRob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:32 AM

Added a few new bits to the AllSkyCam HQ camera version.

- auto software upgrade (when new bits are available at the RobboRob github)

- dark frame subtraction

- auto focus switch

Removed the Auto Exposure switch because it didn't work well during dark conditions and was frustrating people...

To use dark frame subtraction:

- Rename darkframe in config.sh into test.jpg (instead of test.png, only needed once)
- During the night, set the dark frame switch to yes
- Cover the camera
- grab the needed dark frame
- Un-set the dark frame switch
- Remove the cover

Upgrade (when your version ins not doing this automatically already):
   git pull; make; sudo cp camera_options.json /etc/raspap

Edited by RoboRob, 24 July 2020 - 05:18 AM.

• ccs_hello, RossW, Kangoomn74 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics