Jump to content

  •  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Forecast says 10% chance of rain

  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

    Apollo

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 1,058
  • Joined: 13 Dec 2012
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

... and I believed it. To be fair it was a quick one... Mount was powered but parked, everything else was not powered, and lens covered. I guess it could have been a lot worse?

 

Now brought inside and doing a lot of wiping. lens looks OK. Do I need to worry about the flattener and the filters? Also do I need to worry about the camera? I am sure water went in, but hopes it's dry enough in the room.

 

Do I need to lay out everything tomorrow morning under the sun, or it should dry out inside the house overnight?

 

IMG_20200512_191352.jpg

IMG_20200512_191515.jpg



#2 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

    Apollo

  • *****
  • Posts: 1,211
  • Joined: 28 Mar 2018
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI, USA

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:57 PM

Heh, my scope looks like that pretty routinely just from dew. Let everything dry out, and it will most likely be fine.


  • schmeah and jdk like this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

    Voyager 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 11,110
  • Joined: 04 Oct 2003
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

The only thing to worry about is getting a short if operating in very wet conditions. 

 

The optics and mechanics should have zero problem with the rain. Just let it dry out. Good idea to have at least some cover next time. 


  • ram812 likes this

#4 Starman47

Starman47

    Viking 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 755
  • Joined: 10 Jun 2018
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:16 AM

Does it make any difference if the scope is left in the sun or brought into the house?



#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • *****
  • Posts: 6,637
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2015
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:40 AM

10% is my cutoff. If there is a 5% chance I will run. That is most of the tine anyway.

If its 10% I will not run.

Fingers crossed it keeps working.

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

    Skylab

  • *****
  • Posts: 4,418
  • Joined: 03 Jan 2019
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:15 AM

We got a fair amount more up here near the mountains than you got down there, Yizhou!  I kept the observatory roof closed, and was glad I did.

I think your equipment will be fine as long as everything dries out completely before you turn it all on.

Might want to put the camera in a plastic box with some dessicant for a while, in a warm place...

Let us know if it all powers up!



#7 khobar

khobar

    Viking 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 25 Dec 2008

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

Very much hope everything dries out just fine for you and you get up and running in no time!



#8 WadeH237

WadeH237

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • *****
  • Posts: 7,184
  • Joined: 24 Feb 2007
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Sooner or later, anyone who images unattended is going to get rained on.  Fortunately, as has been suggested by the replies, there is usually no harm done.

 

As for my personal tolerances, I use three different forecasts, and they need to be in agreement that there is no more than a trace chance of rain.  Even then, I have been rained (or snowed) on every now and then. For what it's worth, the three forecasts that I generally use are:

 

http://clearoutside....cast/50.7/-3.52

https://www.wunderground.com/

https://www.cleardarksky.com/


  • rockstarbill likes this

#9 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

    Apollo

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 1,058
  • Joined: 13 Dec 2012
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:38 PM

Yeah thanks all! Fingers crossed... I am wondering how long I have to wait before turning electronics on? Don't have a way to tell if it's dried out already...

 

Does it make any difference if the scope is left in the sun or brought into the house?

I would rather leave it out but it was night and seems a few more rains before I brought it in. I might set it up out today to dry it out.

 

We got a fair amount more up here near the mountains than you got down there, Yizhou!  I kept the observatory roof closed, and was glad I did.

I think your equipment will be fine as long as everything dries out completely before you turn it all on.

Might want to put the camera in a plastic box with some dessicant for a while, in a warm place...

Let us know if it all powers up!

Yeah unfortunately I don't have an obs, so my system is "always open"...

Dessicant ordered.

 

Thanks,

Yizhou


  • OldManSky likes this

#10 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

    Apollo

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 1,058
  • Joined: 13 Dec 2012
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:52 PM

I maybe a bit impatient but I think it's dried out after a full day. Put everything back and seems OK for now. I was planning to measure the voltage/power output from my power distribution but my multimeter gives up on me today... Everything powers up, connects, mount slews fine, camera exposes fine, focuser moves. Only thing I haven't tried is cool camera down. Is there a concern of frosting?


  • OldManSky likes this

#11 OldManSky

OldManSky

    Skylab

  • *****
  • Posts: 4,418
  • Joined: 03 Jan 2019
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

I maybe a bit impatient but I think it's dried out after a full day. Put everything back and seems OK for now. I was planning to measure the voltage/power output from my power distribution but my multimeter gives up on me today... Everything powers up, connects, mount slews fine, camera exposes fine, focuser moves. Only thing I haven't tried is cool camera down. Is there a concern of frosting?

A bit of irony there -- everything was out in the wet and now works, but the multimeter that wasn't out in the wet gave up... :)

 

If there's moisture in the camera sensor chamber, there is a bit of concern about frosting over.  But at this point, I don't think you've got anything to lose -- frosting up won't harm it, and it will let you know that there is, indeed, some moisture in there to dry out.  So I say go for it!


  • Szumi likes this

#12 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

    Apollo

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 1,058
  • Joined: 13 Dec 2012
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

A bit of irony there -- everything was out in the wet and now works, but the multimeter that wasn't out in the wet gave up... smile.gif

Exactly! I'll bring it out in next rain lol.gif


  • OldManSky likes this

#13 ram812

ram812

    Apollo

  • -----
  • Posts: 1,069
  • Joined: 10 Dec 2014
  • Loc: Grants Pass, Oregon. Originally Los Osos/Morro Bay, California

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

You have a good weather forecaster... They called a 10% chance of rain and got it right!tongue2.gif. I'd have bet on the 90% chance it wouldn't rain, and get busted every time!grin.gif Ralph



#14 schmeah

schmeah

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • *****
  • Posts: 6,106
  • Joined: 26 Jul 2005
  • Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:31 PM

10% is my cutoff. If there is a 5% chance I will run. That is most of the tine anyway.

If its 10% I will not run.

Fingers crossed it keeps working.

Same. And I don’t get angry if they say 5% and it does. Now when they say 0% and it does ... this has happened to me. They should never say 0%. They should say <1%. I now use the “Rain Alarm” app which has saved my butt a couple of times since. 

 

Derek


  • ChrisWhite likes this

#15 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • *****
  • Posts: 6,637
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2015
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:51 PM

Same. And I don’t get angry if they say 5% and it does. Now when they say 0% and it does ... this has happened to me. They should never say 0%. They should say <1%. I now use the “Rain Alarm” app which has saved my butt a couple of times since. 

 

Derek

Hmmm... I didnt know this app existed.  Is it the Rain Alarm by Michael Diener?



#16 schmeah

schmeah

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • *****
  • Posts: 6,106
  • Joined: 26 Jul 2005
  • Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

Hmmm... I didnt know this app existed.  Is it the Rain Alarm by Michael Diener?

Yes. That’s the one. Works great. It tells you when precipitation is at X miles from your location. So you get a little advance warning.




CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


Recent Topics






Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics