•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#1 rogerandgarf

rogerandgarf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

This has been in the works for some time now and "they're here..." Seems that the 15x70s compare favorably with my Fuji 16x70, not to mention price! Check it out: www.astro-physics.com

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Roger, it has been in the grapevine, but it's the first we've seen that Astro Physics has them posted.

http://www.astro-physics.com/

http://www.bigbinocu...com/ultra70.htm

http://www.bigbinocu...com/ultra70.htm

http://garrettoptica...wsn/page14.html

http://www.generalhit.com./#

http://www.holgermer...e/ares8x30.html

REVIEWS posted in this forum

Early Review of the General Hi-T here in this Fourm

The Garrett Grizzly 10x50

Generalhit10x50

Oberwerk Ultra 15x70

Lot's of similarities here in all these. They seem to all advertise the same high degree of polish, premium coatings and rugged build quality.

edz

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

not to mention http://www.united-op...-8/astr-s-8.htm
and http://www.telescope...html#1070marine

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

Looking good. The price is much lower than I expected. Sure hope to read some reviews soon.
Bonco

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Is this from the same family of binos that nearly broke Art's nose?

#6 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

>>>Lot's of similarities here in all these. They seem to all advertise the same high degree of polish, premium coatings and rugged build quality.<<<

You've got that right. And if I keep seeing these pop up on more street corners, I am going to conclude that Kunming is just going to sell to everybody, a forget placing an order.

What's the use in trying to get a job as a policeman, if the only people in town are cops?

Cheers,

Bill

#7 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

I'm going to have to pick up the 10.5x.

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

>>>.<<<

You've got that right. And if I keep seeing these pop up on more street corners, I am going to conclude that Kunming is just going to sell to everybody, a forget placing an order.

Maybe, but I've met Roland Christian, he's a great guy. I've owned one of his 6 inch refractors. I continue to enjoy reading his expert, well written, helpful posts. He and his company have huge credibility in my mind and I think he was careful to choose a bino product that he felt meets his high standards of quality. I hope he does well marketing these bino's.
Bonco

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

The floodgates are opening...

Let the flood cometh....

I await the BIG models - 22x85IF, 20x110, etc.

Now who do I make the check out to?

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#10 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

It would certainly be interesting to have a look through them. The eye relief sounds very good. The price is quite modest.

Rich

#11 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

Maybe, but I've met Roland Christian, he's a great guy. I've owned one of his 6 inch refractors. I continue to enjoy reading his expert, well written, helpful posts. He and his company have huge credibility in my mind and I think he was careful to choose a bino product that he felt meets his high standards of quality. I hope he does well marketing these bino's.
Bonco

Hi Bonco:

Could you please tell me how you gleaned ANYTHING concerning QUALITY out of my comment? And, if I were saying the instruments were of poor quality, would I be announcing on Cloudy Nights that I was considering stocking them myself? I mean no offense, but I think you may be listening too fast. :bawling:

And although we haven't had occasion to communicate in a very long time, I have known Roland since about 1985. In fact, if I am not mistaken, I am the one who introduced him to Zemax.

Just a thought.

Bill

#12 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

These Astro-Physics binoculars may make the Canon IS 10x42 and 15x50 things of the past. I hope Joe doesn't read this thread. ;-)

Rich

#13 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

I find it interesting that here on the 'Binocular' forum, RC at AP is for the most part given a fair shake (and rightfully so) on the hoped-for quality of his imported Chinese binos...yet...on the other hand in the 'Binoviewer' forum, it was my impression that the are some who consider UO's move to market its new Chinese BVer a non-event, as it is just a rebrand.

Just a curious observation...

Keith (These binos do look nice, don't they?)

#14 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

>>>it was my impression that the are more than a few who consider JWS at UO (also known for his quality products) a 'sell out' by importing his new BVs from China.<<<

Well, I don't have occasion to go to the binoviewer section, but I assume that "JWS at UO" means Jan W. Seyfreid at University Optics.

To me, the difference is easy to see. Jan is just a nice guy with nice importing business. He is not surrounded by expensive his personal innovations that have changed the optics industry and is not a legend to be discussed around every campfire star party.

Roland on the other hand . . .

Cheers,

Bill

#15 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

Keith -

are more than a few who consider JWS at UO (also known for his quality products) a 'sell out' by importing his new BVs from China.

My passion is binocular astronomy, not patriotism. I don't care if the equipment comes from Mars - provided it is of high quality at a reasonable price. Up until recently, it is my impression that Chinese optics were considered sub-par (at best) ... now, with quality glass coming out of China, we have to start re-thinking our attitudes.

Right now there is a gaping hole in the giant binocular market : on the one end of the spectrum there are giants like the Fujinon and Miyauchis that cost many thousands of dollars. On the other end of the spectrum there are binos like Celestron, and Orion which cost less than $500. It seems to me there is a void between the $500 giant and the $5000 giant - both in terms of quality and price.

I hope this new wave of Chinese binoculars helps to fill that void and make quality optics affordable for folks like me on a tight budget.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#16 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

I find it interesting that here on the 'Binocular' forum, RC at AP is for the most part given a fair shake (and rightfully so) on the hoped-for quality of his imported Chinese binos...yet...on the other hand in the 'Binoviewer' forum, it was my impression that the are some who consider UO's move to market its new Chinese BVer a non-event, as it is just a rebrand.

Several of us got it out of our systems a few weeks ago, here on CN, when it was mentioned AP was thinking of selling binoculars.

Rich

#17 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hey Bill,

I modified my original post as you were responding. I may have worded it a little strong, so I modified it accordingly.

Yup, JWS is Jan at UO...

To me, the difference is easy to see. Jan is just a nice guy with nice importing business. He is not surrounded by expensive his personal innovations that have changed the optics industry and is not a legend to be discussed around every campfire star party.

Mostly true. Jan is not a producer of main line equipment like OTAs and mounts, but he does provide diagonals, mirror supports, etc made right here in the US. Not too many offer that anymore, and they are of good quality too. Consider though, JWS has been around longer than anyone out there today except for Questar and Vernonscope, all three of whom have conitnued to sell a relatively unchanged line of products over the past 4 to 5 decades that still compete well with today's best products.

Roland still has a few more years to go before he catches up with their longevity (and I hope he does, too).

Keith

#18 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Several of us got it out of our systems a few weeks ago, here on CN, when it was mentioned AP was thinking of selling binoculars.

Rich

Ah, I missed that thread :lol: . I guess that explains it.

Keith -

are more than a few who consider JWS at UO (also known for his quality products) a 'sell out' by importing his new BVs from China.

My passion is binocular astronomy, not patriotism. I don't care if the equipment comes from Mars - provided it is of high quality at a reasonable price. Up until recently, it is my impression that Chinese optics were considered sub-par (at best) ... now, with quality glass coming out of China, we have to start re-thinking our attitudes.

MikeG

Once the Chinese start putting out aspherics in large number, forget it. The Japanese and Germans are going to be in the fight of their lives. They have the knowledge, the equipment, I'm assuming they just need a little more experience.

I see everyone jumped on quoting my original post, so rewriting it really didn't matter, did it? :tonofbricks: You guys are too fast... :grin: I'm going back to the refractor forum.

#19 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

>>>I may have worded it a little strong<<<

Nope; misjudged, again. However, you are obviously a nice person for even considering the words above. That's okay. Because of the curmudgeon mystique I've earned for trying (WITHOUT PROVOCATION or INVOCATION) to save folks from what they think they know, I'm pretty used to it.

When I bought my first 12.5-inch mirror blank from Jan, it was about $40.00. Now, that's been a while.

Cheers,

Bill

#20 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:05 PM

Hi Bill,

No,no,no :lol: ...I was rewriting immidiately after initially posting, before anyone had responded. You post didn't encourage me to rewrite (this time :grin:)

I rewrote it because no one actually called JW a 'sellout' over there, and I didn't want to leave that false impression. Calling his BV introduction a 'ho-hum non-event' was a more appropriate description.

Keith (you old curmudgeon :grin: )

#21 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

Rich

Ah, I missed that thread :lol: . I guess that explains it.

Keith -

MikeG

Once the Chinese start putting out aspherics in large number, forget it. The Japanese and Germans are going to be in the fight of their lives. They have the knowledge, the equipment, I'm assuming they just need a little more experience.

I see everyone jumped on quoting my original post, so rewriting it really didn't matter, did it? :tonofbricks: You guys are too fast... :grin: I'm going back to the refractor forum.

IMHO, people now who can afford high end German binoculars will continue to buy high end German (and Austrian) binoculars. They will still want the "top of the line", "the real thing".

Rich

#22 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

And FOR THE MOST PART, they will get it. Unfortunately, most Americans would be happy looking through a rusty pipe if it had a GERMAN name on the side.

So many poor assumptions; so little time.

Cheers,

Bill

#23 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

IMHO, people now who can afford high end German binoculars will continue to buy high end German (and Austrian) binoculars. They will still want the "top of the line", "the real thing".

Rich

True, and they are welcome to it. Those who can afford such optics will get no grief or competition from me, since I cannot pay the admission price to get into that club.

Of course, about 12 years ago, ANY 100mm binocular would retail for at least $700-900. (according to some old Astronomy and S&T mags I have laying around), so I guess I should feel lucky to have my current binocular for $250, regardless of it's mediocre quality.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#24 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

These Astro-Physics binoculars may make the Canon IS 10x42 and 15x50 things of the past. I hope Joe doesn't read this thread. ;-)

Rich

Yeah right, dump my IS binoculars for 5.6 lb binoculars for handheld use. :lol:

Joe

#25 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

But, they are less than half the price. They even give you a post for mounting the binocular to a tripod. On a tripod they will give a much more stable image than a hand held IS, plus more aperture and more eye relief,... and did I mention, they are less than half the price of those high end Canon IS binoculars. :)

Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics