•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#151 Art Fritzson

Art Fritzson

Ranger 4

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

Daryl,

No apologies necessary. You were reacting to a review that seemed quite credible but maybe was a bit less objective than it could be. I just got curious when he praised the 7x50 to see if he'd commented on those in a review - and then was able to figure out what probably happened.

OTOH his review may have been quite sincere. It just doesn't agree with the (albeit brief) experience I had with those binocs.

BTW, I think Zach Garrett may still have these and the 7x50s in stock here.

Good luck -

- Art

#152 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:09 AM

Art:

Judging by your collection of binos and obvious knowledge of them, I doubt that you would need much time to render a verdict on the 10 x 50s you purchased. My first view of the Cygnus Milky Way with the 7 x 50s and then a look at a quarter moon convinced me that these were very high quality optics. The build quality is immediately apparent (except for the plug-in lens caps, which are a pain). I was able to buy the 7 x 50s from a source selling them with the APM Telescope, Germany, lable for $220, which I think is unreal given the quality. Thanks for the URL for Garrett. If I can't find my source again I will check his site. I am also interested in the big 20 x 85s at Stellarview, which sell for only $289 (Including a hard case!).. The problem is that I would thenineed to spend at least that for a suitable bino head to fit one of my tripods.

Regars
Daryl

#153 Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Looks like a pair of the Oberwork version of these just came up on amart if anyone was interested

#154 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

Jeff,John is a great guy,a lot of people have bought some very good binoculars and good buys from him.
Regards,Steve

#155 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

I don't recall seeing a binocular spark this kind of speculation and discussion during my time on CN. Over 3000 page views and 8 pages of replies.

Now, if only a vendor would offer the UO-Series 8 22x85IF or 20x110IF, then I could stop talking about these binos and buy one!

Clear dark Fuji-like skies...

MikeG

#156 oklahomabill

oklahomabill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

Ordered my 15x70 Grizs Today... Now I really need to find a new home for the 22x Obies.

#157 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Bill -

Be sure to share your impressions when they arrive. I'm sure they'll be put to good use under those rural Ok skies.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics