•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyFi and Sky Tools 4

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:53 PM

Hey all,

Does anyone here run their telescope via SkyFi and SkyTools 4? And has it working?

My hardware is a Argo-Navis, ServoCat (goto) on an alt-az mount. I have Argo set to "from planetarium".

Laptop is running windows 7

I have downloaded and installed Ascom with the Servo-Cat driver. I cannot get SkyTools to see the SkyFi and connect to the telescope. 

I can run my scope wirelessly using SkyFi, Sky Safari on an IPad. Works great.

Do I need to set up a virtual com port to make this work? Or is there a workaround within windows?

Thanks!

Keith

p.s. I have contacted Greg and am awaiting his response. But I'm antsy to get this working!

#2 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

I have an answer to my own question!

In the Skytools forum I was directed to the set up for the Nexus wireless:

https://www.astrodev...th_SkyTools.pdf

In a nutshell I had to set up a virtual serial port over ethernet on my laptop. This intercepts the wireless signal from the SkyFi and converts it to a serial type signal. I just had to give it a com port number and pair it to the SkyFi via its IP address and Port number. 

I then had to download the Ascom software  and the required ServoCat driver. 

https://ascom-standa...loads/Index.htm

In ST4 I had to select Ascom Supported Telescope and then configure the ServoCat driver. 

Once done I just hit "connect telescope" and I was off and running! In the Interactive Atlas I had the scope slew to a handful of objects and it seemed to do just fine. I did all this during the day so I do not know if it actually hit the targets...but it did go about where I thought it should.

Now all I need is a clear night to give it a good test drive...

Edited by Keith Rivich, 18 May 2020 - 06:14 PM.

#3 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

Hi Keith,

What are your thoughts on Sky Tools 4? I've been having a lot of issues with SkySafari on my android tablet AND Android phone, I'm thinking about using Sky Tools 4 to run my Nexus II DSC from a laptop.

Thanks,

Trent

#4 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

Hi Keith,

What are your thoughts on Sky Tools 4? I've been having a lot of issues with SkySafari on my android tablet AND Android phone, I'm thinking about using Sky Tools 4 to run my Nexus II DSC from a laptop.

Thanks,

Trent

What kind of issues are you having?

I use SkyTools 4 as a planning/logging application and haven't had the opportunity to use it to control a telescope.  For planning/logging, it is definitely worthwhile.

I just got a Go2 mount and I've gotten it setup in SkySafari, CdC and Stellarium - no chance to try it in the field yet though.  ST4 would be great if it works since I currently use both SkyTools and SkySafari for observations - transferring notes and observing lists between applications.  I could eliminate the SS6 part if ST4 will do it all.  ST4 is a big improvement over ST3, but it isn't as easy to use in the field as I've found SkySafari, but then SkySafari is nowhere near as powerful as SkyTools 4.

What I like about SS6 is that it's very good for use in the field for visual observing.  It has a clean interface that's easy to use with a phone/tablet and the charts work very well.  I think the quirks with the ST4 interface would be less of an issue in the field if you were doing AP or EAA.  By quirks I mean small menus/fonts, very poor night mode, and it pretty much requires a mouse/touchpad to operate.

• btschumy likes this

#5 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:38 PM

Brent as you know ST4 using the ASCOM interafce to talk to the mount so you would need an ASCOM driver for whatever mount you are using. if there is an ASCOM driver then ST4 should work fine.

#6 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:47 PM

Thank you!

#7 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Brent as you know ST4 using the ASCOM interafce to talk to the mount so you would need an ASCOM driver for whatever mount you are using. if there is an ASCOM driver then ST4 should work fine.

So far it's not working for me.  I chose the driver, but ST4 crashes to the desktop when I try to connect.

#8 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

So far it's not working for me.  I chose the driver, but ST4 crashes to the desktop when I try to connect.

Brent,

Did you contact Greg? You may have found a glitch, and if not I know he can guide you through whatever is happing.

• brentknight likes this

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:15 PM

Brent,

Did you contact Greg? You may have found a glitch, and if not I know he can guide you through whatever is happing.

Not yet, but I should.  I have it working in SkySafari and that is a big improvement over just the hand controller.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics