•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with my new Takahashi FOA60Q

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Lappe Lad

Lappe Lad

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

Your supplied picture looks practically identical to what I saw with a Takahashi FS-60CB during daytime viewing. It is the lack of knife-edge baffles within the drawtube causing stray light to bounce off the drawtube interior and throwing a veil of glare across the field of view. Sometimes subtle, other times very much contrast-killing. When I looked obliquely through the eyepiece, the veil would shift out of sight, more easily achieved with larger exit pupils.

If the FOA-60 is similarly without at least one knife-edge baffle in the focuser drawtube, then it’s possible that’s what going on. At any rate, Takahashi’s standard blackened anti-reflection threading within the drawtube does a very satisfactory job of stray light control during astronomical observations.

Robert

• eros312 and mtminnesota like this

#27 senolite

senolite

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:26 AM

This sounds exactly like what I was seeing in the FOA 60 Q. Removing the Q extender made it less obvious which corresponds to a greater exit pupil with the same nagler 17 mm in it. If that were true I guess my expectations for daytime viewing were too high....

Thanks for the feedback Robert, that was very insightful for me.

• mtminnesota likes this

#28 Lappe Lad

Lappe Lad

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

These days I accept what is basically a transient daytime artifact that comes and goes with changes in magnification, lighting direction and intensity. At one time, I considered the FOA-60 – a sort of Holy Grail of contemporary 60mm offerings. I do regret selling my FC-60 back in the early 90’s, though. That was extremely good for daytime viewing.

I wish you the best in your hobby; it sure is rewarding to examine the natural world through any kind of optical aid!

Robert

• Erik Bakker and senolite like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics