•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Early practical use of my new microscope.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tropobob

Tropobob

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

I have slowly been finding interesting things to look at with my new microscope.

Following a suggestion, I scooped up some household dust in my room to see if I could locate the source.

Wow!! It contained many red fibres and I have a red towel that I tend to drape over my hands at night when it becomes cold.  It’s an old towel, so it must be shedding and need replacing. Problem solved.
Horror though when I saw a creature in the dust: - A Dust Mite, I assume.  An ugly looking creature with 6 legs and other appendages, which I took for legs but then realised they were more akin to hairy sensors.  That has really encouraged me to lift my game with cleaning.

I never expected to use my microscope for any practical purposes, so that’s a real bonus.

• starbob1, JamesMStephens and Thomas Marshall like this

#2 Tropobob

Tropobob

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

I am one of those retirees who likes to walk around a small, nearby park for a bit of exercise. Over time, it has drawn me closer to nature, as it has a range of interesting trees and many birds visit the park.

These days, I pick up the bits of rubbish in the wish to provide a safer environment for the birds and a pleasant environment for both my neighbours and me to enjoy. This morning, I found something that may have been a leaf or a bit of plastic. I was inclined to dismiss it as a leaf, then thought: Why not take it home and use my microscope to know for sure.

A quick look showed a thread pattern, so obviously it was not something that birds should eat. I am a bit chuffed with myself for being able to determine that! lol.gif  The below image is taken by my smartphone, handheld, at 40x.  Please forgive its very poor quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ryans party 029.jpg
  • Ryans party 028.jpg
  • Ryans party 027.jpg

• Mike E. and Mbinoc like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics