•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally Starting Down the Road...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:12 AM

I have wanted an observatory for years and the stars are going to align to make it happen... I think. Our lawn shed is going to be repurposed if I can pull this off. I have been puzzling over how to do it for a few weeks and it's beginning to gel in my mind. Here's the shed. It's about 10X10.

BEDABB1D-3AFA-46D2-A33F-31E9BD7F6B6A.jpe

I'm going to lose the window and install a window A/C. It can't be seen from the road on this side. A new solid core door too. I want it to roll off over the door the full extent. It will separate at the line where the siding is seamed. Lots to figure out on this project. I intend to take the easiest route if possible. A new, lighter roof would catch the awareness of the HOA police, so I am keeping the shingled roof. If I can do this like I am planning it will be done without notice. Most of the building is hidden from the street. Nobody will notice when it is rolled off. Stealth in neighborhoods these days is advantageous to urban living. Not advertising what is going on keeps the wrong kind of people from becoming interested. Besides, I hate to trash perfectly good trusses and shingles.

If I can jack each side independently and make the necessary mods in sequence it might work. If not, I can tear the roof off and build it back as needed. I have the tools and the motivation, I just need to get the process mapped out before I begin. I may wait until rainy season is over before opening her up. In any case, i thought I would chronicle the process (or failure) from the beginning. I mean, doesn't everyone want to watch?ohmy.gif

• D_talley, jim kuhns and Justin Fuller like this

#2 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:53 AM

It's the guts that will dictate how the dissection can be accomplished. Here's some details of what is inside. First pic roof peak and trusses. 24 inch centers and sill plate only on the end gable. All 2X4 construction. Some corner work and strengthening will be necessary on much of it.

IMG_1187.jpg

The intersection of the wall, soffit and truss will be left intact. I plan on cutting the wall stud off and inserting a plate and running the beam for the roll off on top of it. Might need to install extra support studs.

IMG_1176.jpg

It's in my mind, but I am not confident of everything yet. Gotta get some of it down on paper soon. One thing that troubles me is having to order 20 foot 2X8's or figure out how to sister 16's together to make the beams. I don't want to deal with flex or sag over the ten foot exposure.

IMG_1178.jpg

What you see here looks odd to me. I've never built anything without a top plate. The soffit is seen here where it is simply stapled in place through the OSB. Getting the roof and eave separated from the walls will require a lot of sawzall cutting and staple/nail pulling. My goal is to keep the trusses intact for structural integrity. Of course, I could be completely whacked. I'm just a construction flunky, not an engineer. I might have to call in a few favors. At least have another set of eyes look at it.

There's gotta be a way... I'm sure this is going to be a journey with a bunch of twists and turns. Might as well start at the beginning.

Building interior height 6'7" to bottom of truss

Truss height 38"

#3 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:30 AM

I'm looking forward to the journey. Will this be a home for 11" Edge you list, or a new scope? Are you going to put in a pier and pour concrete? I'm guessing you'll want to reinforce the wall 2x4s with diagonal members before cutting the roof away.

#4 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

SWMBO has already started calling it the Astrophoto Booth. Yes, the C11 HD will be mounted there and I want to play with the space a bit and see if there’s room for a second mount. Yep, planning on planting at least one pier through the floor. First job will be cleaning it out. It will need diagonal wind bracing in the walls and roof next. Idaho is where the wind lives.

I have very dark sky a short drive away so not much observing will happen here. Setting up for photos is the prime mission. Astro storage is secondary.

• Justin Fuller and quality guy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics