•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS Scopes Information (Warranty+Focuser+etc.)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:49 PM

Hi all,

I am buying a TS 130 F/7 and wondering if anyone knows if it comes with warranty. I searched the whole website and couldn't find anything. I asked here so people in future will know about it. I am buying from APM and didn't find anything about warranty as well. I appreciate your help.

Also, mine will be the one with 2.5" focuser (the 3.7" is not in stock now). I didn't find anything about the image circle as well, but if it is the same as WO FLT-132, it should be 43-45mm. I am wondering if 2.5" focuser is big enough to cover a full frame sensor with image circle of like 43.5mm. If I knew the drawtube and focuser dimensions, I would be able to calculate the light cone dimensions and its effect, but I don't have those info.

Thanks

Edited by mehdymo, 17 May 2020 - 10:58 PM.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

Hi all,

I am buying a TS 130 F/7 and wondering if anyone knows if it comes with warranty. I searched the whole website and couldn't find anything. I asked here so people in future will know about it. I am buying from APM and didn't find anything about warranty as well. I appreciate your help.

Also, mine will be the one with 2.5" focuser (the 3.7" is not in stock now). I didn't find anything about the image circle as well, but if it is the same as WO FLT-132, it should be 43-45mm. I am wondering if 2.5" focuser is big enough to cover a full frame sensor with image circle of like 43.5mm. If I knew the drawtube and focuser dimensions, I would be able to calculate the light cone dimensions and its effect, but I don't have those info.

Thanks

I would wait for the larger focuser myself, but I can't speak to the use of the smaller focuser for imaging.

I've read quite a few posts about the Photoline 130. You're getting an FPL53 triplet at a very good price. There's a guy up here in the NW who has one and claims it is very good. I recently followed a thread where a guy bought one and the optics were off. After many back and forth, they finally had him ship it back, and he now has a perfect scope. Others have noted that TS scopes are excellent, on par with most Chinese imports at this price-point. I don't think you need to worry about the warranty.

One thing you need to worry about is the import duty fee. You will be charged by the carrier (FedEx, UPS, ect). Sometimes they use the wrong code, and the duty fee can be very high, as in several hundred dollars! I would look in to this first.

• mehdymo likes this

#3 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:13 PM

Thank you very much. I talked to John about his scope and he likes it. He doesn't know about warranty as well, but they replaced his lens for free and he likes it. The duty is 8% and I have considered it. I am buying from Markus at APM and he test the scope before shipping. someone has the 2.5" inch and like it. The difference is like $500! 

I would wait for the larger focuser myself, but I can't speak to the use of the smaller focuser for imaging.

I've read quite a few posts about the Photoline 130. You're getting an FPL53 triplet at a very good price. There's a guy up here in the NW who has one and claims it is very good. I recently followed a thread where a guy bought one and the optics were off. After many back and forth, they finally had him ship it back, and he now has a perfect scope. Others have noted that TS scopes are excellent, on par with most Chinese imports at this price-point. I don't think you need to worry about the warranty.

One thing you need to worry about is the import duty fee. You will be charged by the carrier (FedEx, UPS, ect). Sometimes they use the wrong code, and the duty fee can be very high, as in several hundred dollars! I would look in to this first.

#4 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:32 PM

I got my answer for warranty. Markus from APM says it comes with 2 years warranty.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#5 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,

Thanks

If you are imaging wait for the 3.7" focuser, it is very good and worth the wait. I sent the bespoke Parallax/AT130mm f/6 apo back to Joe to shorten the tube and install the 3.7" on the bespoke scope. Well worth the cost and effort for this smooth, strong focuser and it will never clip the light cone while imaging. Here is the resulting OTA.

Parallax-AT130 ASIAIR PRO full system-1.jpg

Parallax-AT130 ASIAIR PRO full system-2.jpg

Parallax-AT130 ASIAIR PRO full system-3.jpg

Parallax-AT130 ASIAIR PRO full system-4.jpg  

Parallax-AT130 ASIAIR PRO full system-6.jpg

Edited by YAOG, 20 May 2020 - 07:52 PM.

#6 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, it is not available. Markus told me he can do that for $600 more. It is too much! It is a hard call. Do you think $600 more is worth the upgrade?

Edited by mehdymo, 20 May 2020 - 08:27 PM.

#7 WilRobinson

WilRobinson

Messenger

• Loc: Near the cloud machine

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

How much would a Feather Touch be? 

#8 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:51 PM

I just checked the prices. The 2.5" is $550 and the 3.5" is $850 ($300 differences). They ask for $600 more. The stock focuser is 2.5" and they claim its quality is the same as feather touch.

#9 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

I just checked the prices. The 2.5" is $550 and the 3.5" is $850 ($300 differences). They ask for $600 more. The stock focuser is 2.5" and they claim its quality is the same as feather touch.

It is pretty good but it is not as good as a FTF, don't kid yourself.  

• WilRobinson likes this

#10 WilRobinson

WilRobinson

Messenger

• Loc: Near the cloud machine

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:58 PM

Is that APMs price or is that from Starlight Instruments?

#11 mehdymo

mehdymo

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

APM price. I think $600 is not reasonable. What is your camera? Do you think I will have any problem with APS-C sensors (with 2.5" focuser)? I am using an ASI1600 now and may upgrade to APS-C later, but I don't think I will use a full frame camera any time soon as it needs larger filters which are very expensive.

Edited by mehdymo, 20 May 2020 - 08:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics