•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would two refractors work as makeshift binoculars?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Plinthley

Plinthley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO USA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:49 PM

I enjoy using my Celestron 80mm wide view #52260 scope. If I found another one, could I fasten them together as makeshift binoculars? Would I be able to position the diagonals for comfortable viewing?

Or is this a bad idea?

Attached Thumbnails

• Celestron 52260.png

Edited by Plinthley, 17 May 2020 - 11:51 PM.

#2 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:22 AM

Should work; doesn't have to be makeshift, like Wayne Schmidt's motorized binos with dual 8" reflectors.

voyager.jpg

Might have to do a little engineering work, tho

binochairexplodedview.jpg

Here: http://www.waynesthi...com/voyager.htm if you're curious.

• Illinois, eros312, Plinthley and 1 other like this

#3 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:26 AM

See Dave Trott's article here.

• FlankerOneTwo and Plinthley like this

#4 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:33 AM

I enjoy using my Celestron 80mm wide view #52260 scope. If I found another one, could I fasten them together as makeshift binoculars? Would I be able to position the diagonals for comfortable viewing?
Or is this a bad idea?

If you're doing such a project for the fun of doing it, it's not a bad idea. You'll want something similar to erecting zenith mirrors to position the eyepieces for comfortable binocular viewing. From a practical standpoint though, it's cheaper to just get 20x80mm binoculars.
  • Plinthley and Cali like this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

Or is this a bad idea?

In theory, yes. In practice this would be a very challenging thing to do.

The reason is that to get the far apart enough to have the necessary inter pupilary distance would require a lot of light path.

By the time you got the scopes far enough apart and hold them in position, you would have to have some kind of dual, collimatable or you would need to use a collimatable binoscope conversion.  Now the problem with this is that this much light path most likely would require that the tube be cut shorter, and this means that the front of the focuser tube may push into the light cone reducing the aperture of the scope..  The solution to that is to use a focuser with a bigger tube (and you would need two) or cut the tubes shorter (which limits your focuser travel).

Then you have to worry about how to adjust IPD.  Now if it is just you, then you can build your cradle to fit your eyes, but now you have to have collimation in the cradle or in the mirrors.

There are a couple of people that sell the necessary stuff to avoid some of these problems.  With the EMS BinoBack you don't have to worry so much about the cradle because the IPD and the collimation are done via the EMS binoback.

Here is the Binoback...

http://ems-bino.com/products/

So, not saying it could not be done, but it is a lot of engineering and not as simply as it sounds.  If you take a look at the binoback page it will kind of help you understand the challenges involved.

Dave Trott's binocular telescope uses small, slow refractors and at first was straight through, which would not make them comfortable to use, and in that case, you might as well buy a binocular. As he refined it, the solution started to look a lot like the EMS.   Dave goes through his learning experience though, so the page is a good read.

Edited by Eddgie, 18 May 2020 - 08:28 AM.

• Plinthley and delorehal like this

#6 MirkoV69

MirkoV69

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

If you take some time to google around ( image search for "binoscopio") and you will see how many people attempted such construction

I assume you have access to some machine tools or you have a friend who can machine at least the support of the two tubes 

but the idea of coupling two refractors is is quite common.

At times importer/distributors offered their own interpretation I also saw some examples from prime manufacturers 

I saw a superb Williams Optics here : https://williamoptic...gasus-binocular

there is a specialized web site here   , it is in Italian but google translate will help , you may get some idea on how to build your one.

Best regards

Mirko

• eros312 and Plinthley like this

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

I have seen a couple of binoculars made using 3D printed parts and two Short Tube 80s but can't find them right now.

• Jon Isaacs and Plinthley like this

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

I'm pretty sure "makeshift" isn't the proper term to describe making a bino out of two scopes.  As pointed out above, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye once you start thinking about the details...

• Don W, Plinthley and mrsjeff like this

#9 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

Kunama used to have twin Takahashi TSA -120s as a binoscope.  

But this guy with reflectors wins!  https://m.facebook.c...71431793174373/

Edited by 25585, 18 May 2020 - 02:20 PM.

• Plinthley likes this

#10 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

Should work; doesn't have to be makeshift, like Wayne Schmidt's motorized binos with dual 8" reflectors.

attachicon.gifvoyager.jpg

attachicon.gifbinochairexplodedview.jpg

Here: http://www.waynesthi...com/voyager.htm if you're curious.

Looks like Captain Pike's bino viewer!

• Plinthley likes this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

I have seen a couple of binoculars made using 3D printed parts and two Short Tube 80s but can't find them right now.

waytogo.gif

It can be done. There is a kit you can buy for two Meade 80 mm Adventure scopes. It's 3D printed.

The scopes are not mounted side by side, they're mounted at about a 45 degree angle and the bottom scope uses a 2 inch diagonal to keep from clipping the light cone.

I actually have one of these kits and put it together with two ST-80s. In my case, makeshift was the correct term.. 

IMG_20200315_190008_resize_73.jpg

I had to resize the image on my phone, I couldn't crop it so it's not a beautiful photo..

Jon

• Alan French, zjc26138 and Plinthley like this

#12 mwwk

mwwk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:28 PM

Great Captain Pike call-out!

• Reid W likes this

#13 Plinthley

Plinthley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:54 PM

Wow - the gunner in his turret. Badness!

Edited by Plinthley, 19 May 2020 - 12:07 AM.

#14 Plinthley

Plinthley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:06 AM

Kunama used to have twin Takahashi TSA -120s as a binoscope.  

But this guy with reflectors wins!  https://m.facebook.c...71431793174373/

That is extreme! Looks like he's riding on a pier, hopefully anchored in concrete. 

#15 Plinthley

Plinthley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:11 AM

Thanks, all. There is indeed a lot more to this than I first thought; significantly beyond my abilities. For now I'll stick with enjoying my 80mm as a good grab n' go scope.

• Jon Isaacs and delorehal like this

#16 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Thanks, all. There is indeed a lot more to this than I first thought; significantly beyond my abilities. For now I'll stick with enjoying my 80mm as a good grab n' go scope.

If you are just looking for the ability to use both eyes, a binoviewer might be simplest solution. There are number of good ones and they show up in the classifieds here quite frequently.

• Plinthley likes this

#17 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

waytogo.gif

It can be done. There is a kit you can buy for two Meade 80 mm Adventure scopes. It's 3D printed.

The scopes are not mounted side by side, they're mounted at about a 45 degree angle and the bottom scope uses a 2 inch diagonal to keep from clipping the light cone.

I actually have one of these kits and put it together with two ST-80s. In my case, makeshift was the correct term.. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20200315_190008_resize_73.jpg

I had to resize the image on my phone, I couldn't crop it so it's not a beautiful photo..

Jon

The sensible approach with refractors. Some clever person could probably figure out a way to adjust IPD.

Clear skies, Alan

#18 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

That's not the one I was referring to. I saw one with them mounted side by side using 3d Printed parts.

Here's one:

https://www.thingive...m/thing:3270039

Can't find the one using two Short Tube 80s

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics