•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular vs a Refractor

beginner binoculars equipment Meade refractor reflector
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Notthecenterofuni

Notthecenterofuni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:36 AM

Thank you @aeajr, @tony, @vtornado, @ulmer. So the choice boils down to 90mm Meade or Z130.

I was also looking at used equipment. I found a Celestron C8 OTA at $350-400 with a telrad finder and some solar filters. My only worry is, I do not know how to check the quality of the OTA. I can check for the dust on the mirror and if coating is visible from behind I can do a visual inspection. Look for dents on the OTA. I guess thats all can be verified. I also found a orion starblast 4.5 inch for $40 :). I am not sure how is the quality. 

Is it worth checking out any of them. If not then I will order a Meade 90mm or the Z130 whichever is available fastest.

#27 Notthecenterofuni

Notthecenterofuni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

Ohh, I also found a AR127 with twilight 1 mount for around 600 USD. I heard its a good telescope. Also the quality of used AR127 looks quite good. 

#28 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

I am confused or maybe I missed your post, I thought your budget was $150.  I kept my recommendations under $300 figuring you might stretch that far.   Or am I mixing up this discussion with another. 

The ones  you mention above are well beyond $150.  If you have a $600 budget, my recommendations will change quickly.

#29 Notthecenterofuni

Notthecenterofuni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:10 PM

@aeajr.. I was planning to buy a dob later which will be around 800-1000 USD. My budget of 200 USD was for a small refractor which is portable. So my total budget was around 1200-1500 USD (telescope+accessories) spent over next year or two.

Once I started looking at the used market, I found that the cheap ones are not worth it. Only expensive scopes made sense. I was thinking that If I just go with a AR127 refractor..that should serve my purpose and keep me satisfied without the need of a DOB.  I have also found an ETX-90 around 200 USD which will fit the bill for now.. and should hopefully be better than the 90 mm meade star pro refractor which I was planning to buy. 

So basically I am deciding whether to have a used ETX90 or a new Meade starpro purchased now with a 10inch DOB (purchased slightly later). The ETX-90 or meade starpro will give me the portability to frequently stargaze.

The second option is to purchase one single expensive equiment worth 1000-1500 USD. But then I will have only 1 equipment and if it is not portable, then I will not be able to take it out frequently. That is why I considered the AR-127 as an option.

• aeajr likes this

#30 Notthecenterofuni

Notthecenterofuni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

As per my understanding, people generally have 2 telescopes , a portable one and a light bucket. That is what my plan was when I initially posted. 

• aeajr likes this

#31 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

As per my understanding, people generally have 2 telescopes , a portable one and a light bucket. That is what my plan was when I initially posted. 

Thanks for the clarification. That was what I understood, but it seemed you were bringing the full budget into play right now. rather than $200 now and $1000 some time in the future.

• Notthecenterofuni likes this

#32 Notthecenterofuni

Notthecenterofuni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

So what would you choose between ETX-90 and the 90 Star-pro

#33 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

I have the ETX 80 and an ETX 125 and like them a lot.  Having a GoTo scope is great in a light polluted environment. But I thought you wanted to find things yourself.  In that case you go for the StarPro 90. 

Edited by aeajr, 20 May 2020 - 06:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, binoculars, equipment, Meade, refractor, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics