•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LXD-600 Motor's Voltage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fplasencia7754

fplasencia7754

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

New here...
I don't know if this topic have been discussed, but I couldn't find any thread with information on my specific topic. If there is one, please accept my apologies and by all means, let me know...
I own a Meade 127ED APO. I got the telescope brand new in 1999. Was a leftover at Adorama, in NY.
The Mount is a LXD-600. (rare) that used to come with the motors but no GoTo System, just 2 blank plates.
I have been using the telescope as a manual all these years, but recently I found a Meade 1697 (brand new!) NOS.
My question is: Does anyone knows the voltage requirements (or limits for that matter) of the motors?
I am almost certain they are 12V DC, given the age of the telescope, but the Meade 1697 states that power is 12-18V DC...
I do not want to hook the power supply by Meade if it is 18V, because I do not want to blow up the capacitors (or worst!) in the motors... So I am thinking: Should I get a 12V DC Adapter instead..? Just to be on the safe side of things.
I am getting the Meade 1697 delivery this Friday, so I want to be ready for the installation, which should be a straight forward process, other than the uncertainty regarding power...
Thanks for any input.
Clear skies to all..!!!
Frank.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:46 PM

If its the entire #1697 kit it includes an AC>DC inverter. The output is 18v not 12v which can be seen on the text by the DC input plug. DC servo motors run faster on higher voltage. Meade used this PS on their LX200 fork mounted scopes also. If it does not have the PS you will either need to get one off AM/CN or you can try to find one of those universal laptop PS that have switchable voltage output and different interchangeable plugs. As long as the voltage is not more than 1v higher you should be OK as my HP laptop runs on one set at .5v higher than its rated input. So 18v, 18.5v and 19v should be fine. Meade uses their standard 2.1 mm plug which is very common. Just make sure if you have to use a 3rd party supply that it has a power amp rating equal to or slightly higher than the Meade supply. Figure on around a 3-5A supply.

#3 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:27 AM

All of the original Meade LX200 based mounts - were designed for 12v. Meade upped the voltage for higher slewing speeds. The motors remained the same.

You can run your mount on 12v, or 18v, or anything in between such as 16V.  You might consider changing out the 5 troublesome capacitors in the brand new boards and hand controller. Even though they've never seen voltage spikes I've read that epoxy of the tantalum caps can dry out with age. Not an issue with the ones that see lower voltage but those 5 see full power supply voltage. Running them at 12v certainly reduces stress on those caps, but since the boards are out, this is the best time to change the caps and you'll never have to worry about them for a long long time. 

If you've been happy with the slew speeds until now and the motors have handled the scope alright then no reason you can't use a 12v power source. I changed the caps in my 650 and run a regulated 18v laptop power supply. Others are happy running their scopes with 12v.

To be honest with you, this is the first time I've read about someone installing brand new boards and operating them at 12v. My suggestion of changing the 5 caps is based on experience from old boards that have an unknown history and will be operated at 18v. Those should be considered ticking time bombs. I'm not so sure about new boards that have never been stressed and won't be. Maybe others will offer their opinions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics