•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific AR102 OR Astro-Tech AT102ED

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

I look forward to hearing your first light results, Jethro!

For me, first impressions often reveal more than several years of use.

Hello KATZ,

I will do just that and let you know. I understand the first impressions thing but some times it can take a bit of time to acquire a appreciation for something also.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 22 May 2020 - 09:01 AM.

#27 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

Hello KATZ,

I will do just that and let you know. I understand the first impressions thing but some times it can take a bit of time to acquire a appreciation for something also.

By the way, where did you find the used AT? I’ve been looking but haven’t found one.

#28 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:47 AM

Also the dew shield on the ES AR102 looks a little goofy...

That's an understatement..

I can't believe someone intentionally designed it to look like that.

Yes, the dew shield is a bit, mmmmm,.......peculiar looking.  grin.gif

I agree with others on choosing the AT102ED.  

• Jon Isaacs and Jon_Doh like this

#29 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

By the way, where did you find the used AT? I’ve been looking but haven’t found one.

I found it on Ebay at about 5:00 Am on Tue.  It is coming from a Long time member with 100% Rating with free returns. ( THIS IS THE ONLY I GO ON EBAY) It had 34 watchers already and  it was not in the line up at 1:30 Am when I looked I thought for a moment and did a quick review on CN then puched it in to the cart. The only thing it was missing was the finder shoe. I picked one up for $12.00

I see really nice telescopes now and again on Ebay, they dont last long. But you have to be careful. I always check the venders ratings. 

The one thing I get a good laugh at on Ebay, AstroMart and Cloudynights Classifieds, is when a seller wants almost as much as a brand new Telescope plus  shipping and PayPal fees and it winds up being more than a brand new telescope with free shipping.

I have yet to be burned on Ebay. "KNOCK ON WOOD"

I am considering one right now a 1970's Sears and Roebuck Discover model 4 6333,on a GEM mount, I may pay a little more for it than I want but It does not look like it was ever set up or used. Original card board  box that's in nice shape. I will need a 0.965 to 1.25 diagonal for it no issue, They are pleniful.

I think I need to add one for the collection. Just because, that's all. 

Edited by Jethro7, 22 May 2020 - 11:11 AM.

• mrsjeff likes this

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

Yes, the dew shield is a bit, mmmmm,.......peculiar looking.  grin.gif

I agree with others on choosing the AT102ED.  

That dew shield, that was the one thing about the AR-102 I could never really get over. Mechanically, it was decent, optically, it was quite good for a 4 inch F/6.5 achromat.

But the dew shield, it just bugged me.

Sitting out under the stars, looking to point the scope at some object, that dew shield stuck out like the air cleaner on a 18 wheeler. 

Jon

• eros312, Agatha, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#31 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

That dew shield, that was the one thing about the AR-102 I could never really get over. Mechanically, it was decent, optically, it was quite good for a 4 inch F/6.5 achromat.

But the dew shield, it just bugged me.

Sitting out under the stars, looking to point the scope at some object, that drew shield stuck out like the air cleaner on a 18 wheeler. 

Jon

You got Jon,

Through a artistic eye it looks out of place, it looks like it does not belong there. As you said to the point its distracting.

Edited by Jethro7, 22 May 2020 - 04:59 PM.

#32 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Hello Katz, 

Received the AT102 ED today, it survived the Mailing. The Vendor was right it is practically new. I cant wait for a star test but my weather forecast for the next several days is rain with a chance of rain LOL....this is probably the reason many get out of the hobby but I can wait, and wait, it just makes me even happier when I get good skies. This was just a lucky find on EBay, I check the line up at least two or three times a day also CloudyNights Classifides, if I am looking for something. Just have to wait, be patient and pull the pigs tail  and put it in the cart when you see it. I know this scope would be gone in one hour.

So far I am impressed with The AT 102 ED, its put together well, it came with two dew shields one screw on and one retractable one ???? I wished just for my information. When Astrotech switched to the feathertouch focuser???? It came with one.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP. Jethro

• KTAZ likes this

#33 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

Congrats! I'm sure you're going to like it.

BUT...my AT102ED is now on the back burner...I had a similar experience to yours recently and had a Company 7 C9.25 SCT fall into my hands at a price that I couldn't pass up. I have a new project now.

But I am still looking forward to your first light report when it happens. That scope still might get into my pipeline...somehow...

Wishing you clear skies soon.

• Jethro7 likes this

#34 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hello Katz, 

Your going to love that telescope I have its little brother a C8 and it is a amazing telescope SCT's do so many things well. The one skill you will have to learn  is to collimate. And after you do it a few times it wont ever be a issue for you again. Just remember Small movements on the collimation screws. I use Bob's knobs, they make collimating easier but you will have collimate more often.

Here are the web sights that helped me

http://www.astrophoto.fr/collim.html

http://www.asterism.org    hit resources then scroll down and look for tutorials 

look for "Collimation guide for SCT telescopes" there is a really cool little chart that looks like eggs in a skillet that makes the direction of turning  the collmation screws easy.  

Edited by Jethro7, 26 May 2020 - 07:48 PM.

• eros312 and KTAZ like this

#35 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:01 PM

Hello Katz, 

Your going to love that telescope I have its little brother a C8 and it is a amazing telescope SCT's do so many things well. The one skill you will have to learn  is to collimate. And after you do it a few times it wont ever be a issue for you again. Just remember Small movements on the collimation screws. I use Bob's knobs, they make collimating easier but you will have collimate more often.

Here are the web sights that helped me

http://www.astrophoto.fr/collim.html

http://www.asterism.org    hit resources then scroll down and look for tutorials 

look for "Collimation guide for SCT telescopes" there is a really cool little chart that looks like eggs in a skillet that makes the direction of turning  the collmation screws easy.  

That’s too funny...you recommend Bob’s Knobs at 5:42PM...I just ordered them at 5:35PM!

#36 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

That’s too funny...you recommend Bob’s Knobs at 5:42PM...I just ordered them at 5:35PM!

Hello Katz,

I think they are the bomb, I like them. Unfortunately collimating is a nessesary skill. And thanks to those two web sites it was easy to learn.

The only issue is when you install the Bob's knobs, INSTALL ONE SCREW AT A TIME or you will have a Primary and Secondary mirror interaction VERY BAD.

After installing the Bob's knobs I stood straight in front of the telescope looking dead center and did a rough collimation.The view should look like a target. Then the first clear night I followed the instructions from the first web page and it worked the views were the best that I had ever seen through my telescope. I guess it was not collimated very well at the factory.

But now I know how to do it and dont sweat it anymore. The other issue with Bob's knobs is they are so easy, they make you want to fiddle with them " DON'T"  it may just be bad seeing that night. Do a star test first and see if it needs it and if it does. I take off the dew shield and put my stylus in front of the collector and find which screw has the dark center closest to it and that screw needs to be tightened maybe about. 1/32" that  means the other two have to be loosened if you cant turn the first screw 1/64" as I said SMALL MOVES but at that point collimating is a snap.

Welcome to the great SCT Family Katz, HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 26 May 2020 - 08:30 PM.

#37 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

Hello Katz, 

I had a short break between the clouds tonight. I grabbed  my Astrotech 102 ED and Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount and set it up, that took all of 3min. It takes me 30mm to set up my G11G and C8 Edge HD. Any way that's why I bought the Atrotech in the firs place.

I wanted to give this scope the best chance I could so I used my Baader 2" Zeiss Prism diagonal and a array of TV eyepeices from 10mm to 55mm. The views were excellent. I could not detect any false color or violet coma in all lenses except the 10mm even on the Moon, and you really had to look for it. All I can say Katz, is in the future if you want a refractor, buy the Astrotech, my Skywatcher 100mm Esprit is better. But the Astrotech is not that far behind and a super buy at $599.00 

• eros312 likes this

#38 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Jethro!

• Jethro7 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics