•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Double rainbow over the observatory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmassa

cmassa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, California

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:44 PM

Just a cool pic this evening.

Maybe the skies will clear in a couple of days to allow imaging. It's been cloudy for a while now.

Chris

Obs_rainbow.jpg

• RobertED, drprovi57, Traveler and 21 others like this

#2 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:21 AM

That is a keeper !  

• RobertED likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:48 AM

Cool! And, and on the same theme ~astronomy, observatories, optics, telescopes and --- rainbows~ reminded me of these two pictures that I captured thirty four years ago! I was designing LPS Street Lights (for Europe) and consulting to KPNO/IDA regarding Light Pollution. Also spent a few days with Jim Wyant at his business, where interferometry and other optical metrologies were on the agenda, and Doug Sinclair flew in to cover Lens Design, and his viewfoils were terribly stuck together by static electricity! Then off to Meteor Crater and back home, where I wrote a White Paper on The Rainbow(s), as challenged by physicist George Sherman (I claimed I could derive the spectral radiance and polarization characteristics of the rainbows using only geometrical optics; he claimed that was impossible). Notice how the ~inside~ of the brighter bow is so much brighter than is the outside? All of that stuff came out of my analysis. My analysis was not able to predict the diffraction fringes, though. Those are caused by evanescent waves and better explained by Feynman's sum over histories, which is physical optics... not geometrical. I guess we were both right.

Ehhh... I forget a lot of stuff, but anything, anything optical --- I remember every last nit, absolutely everything, including people, places, the math... total obsessive-compulsive. What a life!    Tom

~ click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 95 Tucson Street Lights 1986 KPNO WYKO.jpg
  • 96 Tucson Rainbow WYKO 1986.jpg

• DHEB, chrysalis and musicengin like this

#4 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:12 AM

Very Cool

#5 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:50 AM

Double rainbow... What does it mean? Lol

For those that aren't familiar with the meaning, https://www.youtube....h?v=OQSNhk5ICTI.

#6 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

Double rainbow... What does it mean? Lol

For those that aren't familiar with the meaning, https://www.youtube....h?v=OQSNhk5ICTI.

I've seen triple rainbows, that would have really astounded him.
  • iwannabswiss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics