•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rowan Astronomy AZ100 Arrived

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#101 skybsd

skybsd

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

Hello, 

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the AZ100 with Nexus. Does anyone know if there is an import duty to the US?

I received my fully accessorized Rowan AZ-100 + Berlebach tripod at my site in California via DHL - zero import duty.., 

Hope that helps., 

Best., 

skybsd

#102 Gleason

Gleason

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Hello, 

I received my fully accessorized Rowan AZ-100 + Berlebach tripod at my site in California via DHL - zero import duty.., 

Hope that helps., 

Best., 

skybsd

Is there an adapter needed to attach to the Berelbach Planet tripod?  

#103 Gleason

Gleason

Ranger 4

Posted 10 September 2020 - 03:30 PM

Hello, 

Hope that helps., 

Best., 

skybsd

Did you order from Rowan Astronomy or from another vendor?  There is no DHL selection for freight on the Rowan site.  I'm like ready to place my order. 

#104 skybsd

skybsd

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hello, 

Good to hear from you., 

Is there an adapter needed to attach to the Berelbach Planet tripod?  

I ordered the mount + accessories directly from First Light Optics - from whom I have been buying gear since before relocating from the UK - they used DHL for carriage. - no customs charge

I ordered the Berlebach tripod directly from Berlebach in Germany. At the time, the Rowan was so new, Berlebach weren't certain what hub would work and so they worked with Dave Rose and myself to finalize the hub to use. Berlebach also used DHL - again, no customs charge. 

Now, you can order the Berlebach tripod for the Rowan via First Light Optics as well. 

I have also actually ordered extra accessories (counterweights, saddle, etc) directly from Rowan as well since then - they use FedEx - no customs charge.

Hope this helps., 

Best., 

skybsd 

• Xeroid likes this

#105 Gleason

Gleason

Ranger 4

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:06 AM

Hello, 

Good to hear from you., 

I ordered the mount + accessories directly from First Light Optics - from whom I have been buying gear since before relocating from the UK - they used DHL for carriage. - no customs charge

I ordered the Berlebach tripod directly from Berlebach in Germany. At the time, the Rowan was so new, Berlebach weren't certain what hub would work and so they worked with Dave Rose and myself to finalize the hub to use. Berlebach also used DHL - again, no customs charge. 

Now, you can order the Berlebach tripod for the Rowan via First Light Optics as well. 

I have also actually ordered extra accessories (counterweights, saddle, etc) directly from Rowan as well since then - they use FedEx - no customs charge.

Hope this helps., 

Best., 

skybsd 

Thank you, that's good news. I think the Planet tripod will be the choice.  I know tripods are key to stability.  I have the Losmandy HD for my 1100, but the Planet is clearly more portable.  

#106 Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim

Sputnik

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

I was wondering if using this mount with my Intes 6" f/6 Mak-Newt would be okay. I like having the Nexus and would be adding the motors. I assume the 24 lbs. won't be a problem and could  probably figure a way to reposition the screen. Until the motor kit becomes available I would  be using the manual controls. Since the mount is obviously designed with refractors in mind, would these and the other controls be in too awkward a position to use?

#107 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:33 PM

With a Mak Newt like yours I’m not sure if your sitting position would allow you to comfortably reach the slow motion knobs. I would wait for the tracking motors. The mount will hold the scope no problems and will allow you to view in comfort. It will be worth the wait.

#108 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:43 PM

I was wondering if using this mount with my Intes 6" f/6 Mak-Newt would be okay. I like having the Nexus and would be adding the motors. I assume the 24 lbs. won't be a problem and could  probably figure a way to reposition the screen. Until the motor kit becomes available I would  be using the manual controls. Since the mount is obviously designed with refractors in mind, would these and the other controls be in too awkward a position to use?

It will be fine with the Mak-Newt though slo-mo will be a stretch. Doesn't matter though because steering by hand is very doable. I use a 10" SCT (~35 pounds) plus 17 pound counterweight and can manually steer no problem. I use it with the 10" and a 130mm triplet (~26 pounds) together (plus other pairings and solos) and it disappears. Get level spot on and get balance spot and and just look up. One super nice feature of this mount is the dampening adjusters on each axis. An apposing pair are on each axis. Swap out heavy / light oculars and maybe the altitude wants to stutter a wee bit so just a very tiny adjust to the pair on the alt and right back to viewing. The mount will spoil you for sure. I've used an AZ8 for years and the most difficult thing for me was to stop grabbing the wrong knobs while in the eyepiece, old habits hard to break for an old man lol. And the az slo-mo staying with you, smile every time a swing around with the thing. Was so use to reaching around on the AZ8 for the knob. I think of it as a dual mount T-Rex, nice.  wink.gif

Peace...

Edit: The brake on the alt is spot on to. That's nice knowing you can swap gear and no nose dives.

Edited by jeremiah2229, 13 September 2020 - 11:48 PM.

• Dek Rowan likes this

#109 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:39 AM

Ready to unleash the big guns on Mars... two 10" maks side-by-side on an AZ100 with Nexus DSC on a Berlebach Planet, the payload being 30+kg including accessories. Worked perfectly well, so I'd have to say it will handle any SCT.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0804.jpeg

Edited by luxo II, 14 September 2020 - 05:40 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, markb, Scott99 and 10 others like this

#110 schai

schai

Lift Off

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:51 PM

Its been several years since ive been engrossed in hobby - with recent "COVID-camping" with friends, have gotten back into it.
cloudynights has always tho a good sporadic read and astronomics had done me good on some of my setups.

figured i'd throw in my experience with AZ100

brief thread hijack...
my gear:14.5" dob 105mm apo 80mm apo binocs 60mm mechanical IS binoc
nice collection of EPs. ethos'z creeping in, requiring the obligatory balancing act (and purging a few of naglers)

the 105 mounted onto an old APM alt/az brick
the 80binocs mounted on a universal astronomics macrostar prototype, tuned up by Larry after some feedback. this version never went into production tho
both in turn mounted on bogen 3036's. all well used and simple overbuilt workhorses

i upgraded saddles and dovetails for this. the prominar  got a TS optics L bracket from APM. i dont regret it. seeing Markus still in the biz was good. he is a champion. i wish he would get into amazon level retail. he'd give bezos a run for his money
o/w the ADM products are solid and incredibly prompt.
had to go with a rowan saddle x1 for the altitude adjustment plate and pan/tilt handle compatibility

including slowmo control, i wanted a mount to share the view with friends. the 105 is 20LBS and the 80binocs are 13LBS
hence i considered
losmandy AZ8
DSV-3
rowan AZ100

tripod wise, ive never been a fan of the wood berlebach type - i like handcrank centercolumns
manfrotto bogen hasnt let me down despite metal - there was a 3258 on the market so i nabbed it even though a little under rated for the payload.

im a starhopping traditionalist. never liked the lack of challenge with computers.

...end hijack
the AZ100 is available +/- 100USD import duty
I advise if you can hold your horses go with the AZ100 after brexit fiasco gets determined and the GBP drops OR get in line for a DSV3
the losmandy AZ8 seems to me an afterthought altho im guessing it would be a first world problem if you had to go with it
i wish i had more info on the DSV3. Raul was very good at communicating. I kinda wish i had patience - my guess his 10wk lead time is generous to keep folks happy
the DSV3 tho would need to be pretty beefy AND precise in which case definitely worth the savings vs coming from UK for this

the AZ100 is a very smooth monster. how nice to have slowmo control!!!
a set of metric allen wrenches (5, 2.5 and 2mm) is needed including out in field to adjust things
rowan was generous in providing a variety of caphead screws.
ask for washers - the screw thread holes on the mount might not be of sufficient depth and you'll have to run to hardware store or grind your screws otherwise.
fiddling with dampener vs clutch screws vs altitude lock is very effective and critical. balancing the scopes helps a ton. ive got it now so the lockscrew is totally free and maximally effective.

altitude adjuster plate - based on micro-pivoting the saddle around offset axis for altitude AND canting saddle for azimuth.  both using 2mm set/grub screws (2x for alt, 4x for azimuth). the altitude adjust grubscrews push against either side of a "reaction pin" causing rotation about the "shoulder bolt pivot". the 4x azimuth grubscrews simply push off the rowan saddle. i switched the adjustable saddle to the 105 which still worked find despite it being 10LBS heavier than the binoc

rowan saddles - nice, compatible with adjustment plate and pan/tilt handle. the ADM does have more forgiveness given its split design and feels more beefy. the rowan is more polished and has spring loading pads that grab the scope, not just naked screws. ironically it was the rowan saddle that needed the washers to provide the necessary screw depth. ADM fit nice on the myriad screw options on the mount.

pan and tilt handle good if youre not doing dual mounting. it feels redundant with 2 scopes and so much mass to grab and the mount is very smooth

at 20+LBS the 105 did not need counterweighing when alone

this mount does deserve a better tripod for dual use - i see now you can do an addon Berlebach planet center column from...who else? Markus. this would tho be another $1k tho.
the 3258 i think will suffice for a while

clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• C166F39E-2146-4BF8-A2ED-17DBC851049C.jpeg
  • AC191EB5-9151-490A-9FB1-A9ED8286C6FD.jpeg
  • C09CC33F-142B-4F25-A773-DBAEC3993009.jpeg
  • 2602B841-A6D7-4806-9FB5-9F174AB26857.jpeg
  • 786629DA-3495-480B-B38A-C9D7871955C1.jpeg

• 25585 likes this

#111 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

Ready to unleash the big guns on Mars... two 10" maks side-by-side on an AZ100 with Nexus DSC on a Berlebach Planet, the payload being 30+kg including accessories. Worked perfectly well, so I'd have to say it will handle any SCT.

When i see this, i wonder....

Is the Rowan AZ100 able to carry a....C14?

get-em.gif

#112 GlobularClusterFan

GlobularClusterFan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

get-em.gif

I just ordered an AZ100 with a Berlebach Planet.  I think a C11 is fine, but a C14 is a bit heavy (as you need counterweight on the other side as well).  I am seriously thinking about a C11 for the other side.  I have a TeleVue NP127is coming for the one side.

• havasman likes this

#113 Avillac'h

Avillac'h

Lift Off

• Loc: Prague, Czech Republic

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

I just ordered an AZ100 with a Berlebach Planet.  I think a C11 is fine, but a C14 is a bit heavy (as you need counterweight on the other side as well).  I am seriously thinking about a C11 for the other side.  I have a TeleVue NP127is coming for the one side.

My personal choice would be high quality night vision with white phosphor for the NP127is instead the heavy/big C14/C11 for visual observing.

Unfortunately here in EU terribly expensive for me. But in US it can be well in the price level of C14/C11 and delivering spectacular views with the NP127is. Basically eliminating its the only weakness on faint objects.

Edited by Avillac'h, 03 October 2020 - 11:42 AM.

• bobhen likes this

#114 Damyen

Damyen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:04 AM

Hi can you tell me if with both telescope is possible to see the same object in the sky in the same instant...?? For example if Im observe the sun with little coronado my wife in the same instant can see sun with other telescope in parallel??? Thank a lot

#115 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:40 AM

Hi can you tell me if with both telescope is possible to see the same object in the sky in the same instant...?? For example if Im observe the sun with little coronado my wife in the same instant can see sun with other telescope in parallel??? Thank a lot

There is an adjustment plate accessory that provides fine adjustment so that the two scopes can be precisely aligned to the same pointing position.

#116 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:46 AM

For each scope this also depends significantly on the misalignment between the optical axis and the dovetail. It’s difficult to measure and for most scopes there is no adjustment. It is possible though - my 10” and MK66 remain fairly well aligned from one setup to the next, about 10 arc min apart, ditto the 10” and 70mm refractor.

Edited by luxo II, 05 October 2020 - 05:08 AM.

#117 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:22 AM

get-em.gif

For a C14 the APM Maxload might be better, but no slo' mo' cables.

#118 Damyen

Damyen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:35 AM

Thank you for the answer , Luxo II , I have two refractors ,and I am happy to know that a plate for aligning both telescopes exists (Havasman)

#119 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:52 AM

Hi Derek,

Any progress report about the motorized version ?

We would love to hear any info or report about how it's going along.

Once it's available, I am in line to buy one. bow.gif

• zjc26138 and EricR like this

#120 Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim

Sputnik

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

As am I

#121 Dek Rowan

Dek Rowan

Vendor - Rowan Astronomy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Banbury UK

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

Hi Derek,

Any progress report about the motorized version ?

We would love to hear any info or report about how it's going along.

Once it's available, I am in line to buy one. bow.gif

Hello Asteron,

We're working feverishly on the controller. First couple of controller PCBs have been assembled and are being tested, so far so good ;-)

I'm about to machine the housings for the controller so that this can be fitted to the body of the AZ100 with motors attached to see how the complete set up looks, fits and performs together.

Handset to do after that,

Then with the hardware complete, its 'just' a case of the finalising the first release of the software.

The firmware will be 'user updatable' via our own app. So initially the mount will be made available with a basic function set and this will be updated as and when required.

As mentioned before, the motor tracking will be offered as a user fit-able kit for mounts already fitted with encoders or pre-fitted to new orders. 

Soon as the controller is fitted to one of our test AZ100, I'll post some photos to show the overall look of the motor tracking.

BR

Derek.

• zjc26138, Traveler, ASTERON and 6 others like this

#122 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

Good work Derek I’m sitting put till it’s all complete and I’ll be sending you my unit for the upgrades.

#123 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:44 AM

Hello Asteron,

We're working feverishly on the controller. First couple of controller PCBs have been assembled and are being tested, so far so good ;-)

I'm about to machine the housings for the controller so that this can be fitted to the body of the AZ100 with motors attached to see how the complete set up looks, fits and performs together.

Handset to do after that,

Then with the hardware complete, its 'just' a case of the finalising the first release of the software.

The firmware will be 'user updatable' via our own app. So initially the mount will be made available with a basic function set and this will be updated as and when required.

As mentioned before, the motor tracking will be offered as a user fit-able kit for mounts already fitted with encoders or pre-fitted to new orders. 

Soon as the controller is fitted to one of our test AZ100, I'll post some photos to show the overall look of the motor tracking.

BR

Derek.

Thank you Derek, this is fantastic !

Once this works, I want to order a complete mount with encoders and motors all preassembled by Rowan.

Just two questions:

1) I have a Berlebach Planet with the top of the hub adapted to a DM6 as well as to a 10 Micron HPS 1000 mount. This means that I do not have to change the tripod hub when changing from DM6 to HPS100.  I was wondering if I could use the existing hub for mounting the Rowan as well.  I know Berlebach have a specific hub usable with the AZ100, but I dont know if my specific hub will be usable with the AZ100.   What I need to know is the type, distances and configuration of the mounting threads on the bottom of the base of the Rowan AZ100.

My present hub has the suitable 4 holes for mounting the HPS 1000 and an additional 3/8" 16 threaded central hole  with a 3/8" 16 screw for attaching the DM6, could this central 3/8" 16 hole be used for attaching the AZ 100 ?.   If not, what would I need for attaching the AZ 100 to a flat top hub ?

If the AZ 100 uses a metric type central hole, I will need to know the details for either adapting the existing Berlebach hub or by machining a disc like aluminum round adapter that sits  on my existing hub using  a bottom 3/8" 16 threaded hole and has on the top surface a protruding metric threaded pin to fit the AZ 100.

What's your take on this ?

Do you intend to provide adapters for various tripods as accessories for the AZ100 ?

2)  What is the exact type of Nexus WiFi controller that will work with the AZ100 encoders and will enable me to use an iPAD with Sky Safari Pro to control the GOTO operation. ?  What versions of the Sky Safari Pro (for Apple OS) will work with the Nexus ?

Thanks for your time and efforts on our behalfbow.gif

Edited by ASTERON, 16 October 2020 - 06:59 AM.

#124 Dek Rowan

Dek Rowan

Vendor - Rowan Astronomy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Banbury UK

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

Thank you Derek, this is fantastic !

Once this works, I want to order a complete mount with encoders and motors all preassembled by Rowan.

Just two questions:

1) I have a Berlebach Planet with the top of the hub adapted to a DM6 as well as to a 10 Micron HPS 1000 mount. This means that I do not have to change the tripod hub when changing from DM6 to HPS100.  I was wondering if I could use the existing hub for mounting the Rowan as well.  I know Berlebach have a specific hub usable with the AZ100, but I dont know if my specific hub will be usable with the AZ100.   What I need to know is the type, distances and configuration of the mounting threads on the bottom of the base of the Rowan AZ100.

My present hub has the suitable 4 holes for mounting the HPS 1000 and an additional 3/8" 16 threaded central hole  with a 3/8" 16 screw for attaching the DM6, could this central 3/8" 16 hole be used for attaching the AZ 100 ?.   If not, what would I need for attaching the AZ 100 to a flat top hub ?

If the AZ 100 uses a metric type central hole, I will need to know the details for either adapting the existing Berlebach hub or by machining a disc like aluminum round adapter that sits  on my existing hub using  a bottom 3/8" 16 threaded hole and has on the top surface a protruding metric threaded pin to fit the AZ 100.

What's your take on this ?

Do you intend to provide adapters for various tripods as accessories for the AZ100 ?

2)  What is the exact type of Nexus WiFi controller that will work with the AZ100 encoders and will enable me to use an iPAD with Sky Safari Pro to control the GOTO operation. ?  What versions of the Sky Safari Pro (for Apple OS) will work with the Nexus ?

Thanks for your time and efforts on our behalfbow.gif

Hi Asteron,

1) Several ways of doing this.

a) Standard AZ100 has a central M12 tapped hole for corresponding M12 bolt /  handle. (Mounting is compatible with the NEQ6 tripod and others)

b) We have modded the base for some customers to have a stainless steel 3/8" insert.... bit skinny for our liking on this size of mount though.

c) Use our pier adaptor for mounting on flat surfaces or M10 central bolt.

d) DIY flat disc attached to the base of the AZ100 using the 8 x M6 on 80mm pcd (have to check that because not at work at the mo ;-) )

Drawings showing mounting hole centres and other technical info will be added to our web site soon.

We have tested AZ100 with NEXUS II and Nexus DSC

TBH haven't tested the interface between the Nexus and our controller yet.

You'll have to refer to Astro Devices as to which version of Skysafari and OS work with the various Nexus products.

Several different options regarding control:-

a) Use Skysafari direct wifi to our controller without Nexus.

b) Use Nexus direct to our controller - most likely hard wire connection.

This may allow the simultaneous connection of both Nexus and Skysafari. Don't know at this stage if this will be implemented or even needed.

c) Control by the handset. This may include databases so that stand alone operation is possible or  just the simple track the current area of sky while manual star hopping.

BR

Derek.

Edited by Dek Rowan, 16 October 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#125 kauschovar

kauschovar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:42 PM

I'm in a similar situation as Asteron. I'd like to be able to attach my AZ100 to my existing Astro-Physics ADATRI pier adapter (https://www.astro-physics.com/adatri). Right now, I have to remove the pier adapter to fit the AZ100 to my tripod. It works, but it'd simplify things to be able to attach either mount to the same pier interface.

1) Several ways of doing this.

d) DIY flat disc attached to the base of the AZ100 using the 8 x M6 on 80mm pcd (have to check that because not at work at the mo ;-) )

Derek, any advice on how to DIY something like this for someone with no machining experience? Is something like https://www.emachineshop.com/ the best way to go? Would Rowan Astronomy be able to machine a custom part like that?

I'm also looking forward to seeing the motorized solution, although I'm quite happy for the moment with the simplicity of the AZ100 as a push-to mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics