•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacific Design Soft Case For CPC 1100 Edge - Photos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jdlong73

jdlong73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:30 AM

Hi All,

My first post here, so please be nice.  smile.gif

I saw a similar request posted in 2017 but it did not have any one respond with photos.

Is there anyone who owns both the CPC 1100 Edge and the Pacific Design soft case for it, who would be able to provide a photo of the scope in the case? The case I am referring to is this one:

https://casesandcove...-cpc-deluxe-hd/

​I'm interested in seeing how much padding there is around the scope and where the zippers are placed. For those who have this case, have you found any issues with the zippers coming into contact with the OTA or mount and causing any scratches?

Thanks!

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

I had one  for an 8" and one for an 11" SCT (Forkmount) and had no complaints although it's IMO more for the prevention of scuff and small bangs then drops.

You can see here (few pics down) what the inside looks like.

I recall it had some padding around the zippers to prevent scratching.

#3 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:30 PM

I don’t have any photos of my C11 in the Pacific Design soft case I own. I used it for a while, and it works well. The zippers will not scratch the scope.

Since I tend to carry too much heavy astronomy equipment in the back of my pickup truck I replaced the soft case with a Pelican hard case. I also put foam padding inside the case. It is a heavier option, but the last thing I wanted to do was to get a dent my C11.

Edited by Jeffmar, 20 May 2020 - 12:31 PM.

• Procyon likes this

#4 jdlong73

jdlong73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. The pics on the Pacific Design website leave a lot to be desired and only show a C6 in a case, so if anyone has a pic of a CPC 1100 and how the massive size of it fits in I'd sure appreciate it.

Good to hear the zippers aren't an issue scratching anything up. I really like the pearlescent ivory color of the Edge OTA and want it to keep it pretty.

Another question - once the whole thing is zipped up and secure, would it be possible for two people to carry it using one handle for each person? In other words, lay it down horizontally and one person carry from the front handle and the other from the rear handle? I'm thinking this might be a safer solution with my wife and/or son to help me carry it from the house to front yard. I can manage the scope by myself fairly well, but in the dark across the yard, etc. having it in the case and two people carrying might be safer and easier.

#5 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

I suppose you could have two people carry your scope, but you might get in each others way. When I carry my scopes I just move a lot slower than I do with less fragile loads. The padding on the Pacific Design soft case makes the scope pretty much scratch proof and gives some protection from dents. 

I still recommend getting a Pelican case or and SKB case. The case I have my C11 in has wheels and an extended handle on the opposite side. It makes moving my C11 a lot easier and I don’t have to worry about damage unless I drop it on concrete. Even if that happens the scope still might be okay.

#6 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:49 AM

I would look into the large tool cases at Home Depot or Lowes which have wheels and accessible handle.  I have seen some very large cases but it would be best to measure your 11" both forks side and length first.  I have a Nexstar 11GPS which I currently store in the original box but may consider a hard case.  I think a soft case is OK especially for smaller scopes but the CPC's and Nexstar's are heavy and could be damaged quite easily by losing a grip on the soft cases.  YMMV.  With the wheeled units you can easily manage by yourself.

Charlie

• JOEinCO likes this

#7 jdlong73

jdlong73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I am a huge fan of Pelican cases - I have a 1520 for TeleVue eyepieces and accessories. I have looked at the wheeled JMI case for the CPC and I'm not sold on it.

My thought with the soft case, handles and two people was just to provide a means of transporting it a relatively short distance while keeping it protected from any minor scuffs or scratches. The same level of care if I was transporting it myself would have to be followed.

Has anyone identified an appropriate model of Pelican case that can hold a complete CPC1100 Edge OTA with Fork? It would need to hold the complete unit while having sufficient foam on all sides to prevent any scuffs or scratches. I'd hate to imagine the complete weight of that package, but for the ultimate protection nothing beats a Pelican case.

The HD/Lowes cases look like a great low cost alternative, but I'm a big fan of the Pelican foam and I really prefer the custom look you can get with their foams.

#8 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

I actually have my C11 in an SKB 3I-2914-15BE case. SKB cases are equally as good as Pelican cases but have easier to use latches. Nearly all my astronomy equipment is in either SKB or Pelican cases. The SKB model I mentioned above fits my C11 almost perfectly with foam I glued on the sides, bottom and top of the case. It has wheels on the bottom of one end and a large handle that extends out on the other. I rarely use my soft case anymore. The hard case is just easier for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics