•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New AT102EDL

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 dusty99

dusty99

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

Given the over-performance for the price of the current AT102ED, I wonder how good this one will be?

https://www.astronom...feea7c-85373785

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

You beat me the the punch! If I didn't already have a scope in this class I would consider it. Nice price for what it is.

#3 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

The specifications look similar to those of the now-gone Stellarvue Access (102mm F7, FCD100 element).  I would expect significantly better color correction in the new model compared to the 102ED, which is based on glass similar to FPL51.

I have used SV versions of the scopes similar to the AT versions, and the differences are fairly easily seen on planets or very bright stars at higher power.  For most DSOs you might not see any difference.

• stevew and Auburn80 like this

#4 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

I hope it comes with Red accents like the others! I have the AT60ED, but would love the 100 for visual. Very cool.

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

I hope it comes with Red accents like the others! I have the AT60ED, but would love the 100 for visual. Very cool.

I do love my AT60 colors and fit and finish. Such a great scope. Ended up replacing my TV60 which I also really liked.

#6 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

Looks like it needs 3 improvements.

1. The handle is one point and will have to be tossed for a guider bar

Fix: make it a two point handle with a counter groove to accept clamp type accessory holders/3 point rings or solid rings. Removable clamps to separate the guider/ finder and still have a fixed handle to carry the scope.

2. The dove plate is vixen style, it should be a Losmandy style for this size scope.

Fix: use instead of the vixen dove bar a same length Losmandy style dovetail bar.

3. A nice scope like this needs a much beter than just an OK visual focuser.

Fix: should be offered with a 3" plus superior focuser with options in flattener threaded connection for the various popular flattener/ reducers. At least as large as 82mm threads.

And a nice case would be a plus

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Hrm,

Looks about right for $1.1k USD.

DRD715's suggestions are valid, but not for $1k price point. You're adding $400~500 easily in extra stuff for free maybe with that statement. Or, maybe you meant to make this a good package, you need to add all that, and then the overall cost goes up to $1600 or more?

So this base scope package will compete with other 102mm FPL53 equivalent doublets in the $1k price point arena. The attraction is actually F7.... rather than F9 for example, to battle the venerable FPL53 Skywatcher, and instead compete with the same scope via the Stellarvue and T.S., I think here as the better glass affords a shorter focal-length while being well corrected.

But otherwise, it's literally this telescope linked below, re-branded for essentially a similar price give or a take a bit when you consider this will be in the USA and shipped free which is nice, plus a CN discount, so maybe right close to the same price overall, which is a good thing and supports a local business:

https://www.teleskop...-Objective.html

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 20 May 2020 - 03:11 PM.

• SteveG, Celerondon and Steve Cox like this

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

Fix: make it a two point handle with a counter groove to accept clamp type accessory holders/3 point rings or solid rings. Removable clamps to separate the guider/ finder and still have a fixed handle to carry the scope.

2. The dove plate is vixen style, it should be a Losmandy style for this size scope.

Fix: use instead of the vixen dove bar a same length Losmandy style dovetail bar.

Fix: should be offered with a 3" plus superior focuser with options in flattener threaded connection for the various popular flattener/ reducers. At least as large as 82mm threads.

I think if you are looking at it from an astrophotography perspective maybe, but as a visual guy I like all those aspects as is.

Vixen style mounts are much more common than losmandy.

Edited by GOLGO13, 20 May 2020 - 03:13 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, russell23, dusty99 and 6 others like this

#9 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:17 PM

Hrm,

Looks about right for $1k USD.

DRD715's suggestions are valid, but not for $1k price point. You're adding $400~500 in extra stuff for free. Or, maybe you meant to make this a good package, you need to add all that, and then the overall cost goes up to $1500 or more?

So this base scope package will compete with other 102mm FPL53 equivalent doublets in the $1k price point arena. The attraction is actually F7.... rather than F9 for example I think here as the better glass affords a shorter focal-length while being well corrected.

But otherwise, it's literally this telescope, re-branded for essentially the same price give or a take a bit when you consider this will be in the USA and shipped free which is nice, plus a CN discount, so maybe right close to the same price overall, which is a good thing.

https://www.teleskop...-Objective.html

Very best,

Yes the F-7 is a good ratio and the FPL-53 is the way to get there.

I would disagree a bit on the extra cost for part of the suggested improvements. The handle two point attachment and receiver groove should be minimal, certainly less tha retail $50. And the Losmandy plate another $50 more. The focuser though would add $300 or a bit more as an upgrade. The focuser could be offered as a separate option for those that want to image with this scope.

Interesting comparison to the TS listing.

Should be a very popular first scope for those wanting more than just a toy scope.

#10 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

I think it will be a winner for our sponsor!

I sold my AT102ED when I purchased the SV102 Access on Stellarvue's closeout sale, but I miss the fantastic focuser on the AT102ED.  If the focuser on the new scope is similar, it would be an unbeatable combo.

I would have preferred f/6, despite the decrease in color correction.

Edited by howardcano, 20 May 2020 - 04:06 PM.

• russell23 likes this

#11 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

If it comes w/the same focuser as the EDT scopes, it's going to be just fine. This looks like a real winner and another in a series for Astronomics.

My AT115EDT is a fine scope that gets to stay despite more recent acquisition of an NP101is. It's definitely worth more to me than it would ever bring on the secondary market. This new 102 looks like serious competition for the 115.

Edited by havasman, 21 May 2020 - 07:56 AM.

• RAKing, russell23, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#12 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

It’s an exciting new scope at just the right time. Now that the Stellarvue Access is no longer on the market, this will fill that doublet niche at a faster speed than the 100ED’s. Now if I could get back to work. 

• russell23 and Tyson M like this

#13 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

I think it will be a winner for our sponsor!

I sold my AT102ED when I purchased the SV102 Access on Stellarvue's closeout sale, but I miss the fantastic focuser on the AT102ED.  If the focuser on the new scope is similar, it would be an unbeatable combo.

I would have preferred f/6, despite the decrease in color correction.

I had the AT102ED and sold it after I received my Stowaway, then acquired an SV80ED on the closeout, a deal too good to pass up. The focuser on the SV80 Access is exactly the same as the one on my old AT102ED and AT72ED ii, so I'm at loss for what you are missing. Sounds like an adjustment is needed on your focuser. 

Edited by Moondust, 20 May 2020 - 05:40 PM.

• russell23 likes this

#14 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

I appreciate the input and would like to clarify a few things. 

1.  The handle actually had grooves in it to accept vixen and Arca clamps.  This will allow the ability to attach a guider of some sort to it negating the guide rail. I have had many customers ask for a handle, so it seemed prudent to give it a whirl on this model. 

2.  The dovetail is Vixen for a multitude of reasons.  The main one is the size and weight of this instrument allows it to be used on smaller mounts.  The majority of those mounts have a Vixen saddle and not a dual saddle or Losmandy.  I know it is the current trend for a dual saddle, but the best selling mod weight Celestron AVX mount just changed to a dual saddle a year ago. So I had to look further into the past and make sure we had maximum compatibility. The Vixen rail has worked well on the 130 and 115 EDT for years, so I saw no need to really change. 

3.  The focuser is far better than okay. The 2.5” rack and pinion model works great, can hold weight, and in the dark I think people would be hard pressed to find a difference between it and a well known high end focuser.

4.  It comes standard with a hard case.   Went with a .95 Strehl ratio guarantee instead.  Seems like a fair trade.

Again thank you for your input. I respect your opinion and hopefully you can see why we made the choices we did with the scope. 

• Doug Culbertson, zjc26138, Erik Bakker and 28 others like this

#15 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

Sounds absolutely wonderful at that price! Sure to be a winner.
  • John O'Grady and mrsjeff like this

#16 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

1.  The handle actually had grooves in it to accept vixen and Arca clamps.  This will allow the ability to attach a guider of some sort to it negating the guide rail. I have had many customers ask for a handle, so it seemed prudent to give it a whirl on this model. 

2.  The dovetail is Vixen for a multitude of reasons.  The main one is the size and weight of this instrument allows it to be used on smaller mounts.  The majority of those mounts have a Vixen saddle and not a dual saddle or Losmandy.  I know it is the current trend for a dual saddle, but the best selling mod weight Celestron AVX mount just changed to a dual saddle a year ago. So I had to look further into the past and make sure we had maximum compatibility. The Vixen rail has worked well on the 130 and 115 EDT for years, so I saw no need to really change. 

3.  The focuser is far better than okay. The 2.5” rack and pinion model works great, can hold weight, and in the dark I think people would be hard pressed to find a difference between it and a well known high end focuser.

4.  It comes standard with a hard case. 

Drops the mic 

• zjc26138, SteveG, BFaucett and 4 others like this

#17 starcruiser

starcruiser

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:40 PM

Oh my....This might very well be my very first refractor. I've been all-over the map trying to decide. F7, FCD100, Carrying case...  Can I also get a guaranteed test of .95 or better strehl and toss in a 2" diag and a finder for the same price...or am I asking too much? :) (Just kidding)

• John O'Grady and mrsjeff like this

#18 dusty99

dusty99

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like a winner!

hopefully you can see why we made the choices we did with the scope. 

• John O'Grady likes this

#19 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

I had the AT102ED and sold it after I received my Stowaway, then acquired an SV80ED on the closeout, a deal too good to pass up. The focuser on the SV80 Access is exactly the same as the one on my old AT102ED and AT72ED ii, so I'm at loss for what you are missing. Sounds like an adjustment is needed on your focuser.

I have the SV80A and 102A and both focusers perform well.

Good to see that Astronomics is planning to offer a nice doublet with a step up in glass. They should be an excellent mid-ish range ED.
  • russell23 and erin like this

#20 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

1. The handle actually had grooves in it to accept vixen and Arca clamps. This will allow the ability to attach a guider of some sort to it negating the guide rail. I have had many customers ask for a handle, so it seemed prudent to give it a whirl on this model.

2. The dovetail is Vixen for a multitude of reasons. The main one is the size and weight of this instrument allows it to be used on smaller mounts. The majority of those mounts have a Vixen saddle and not a dual saddle or Losmandy. I know it is the current trend for a dual saddle, but the best selling mod weight Celestron AVX mount just changed to a dual saddle a year ago. So I had to look further into the past and make sure we had maximum compatibility. The Vixen rail has worked well on the 130 and 115 EDT for years, so I saw no need to really change.

3. The focuser is far better than okay. The 2.5” rack and pinion model works great, can hold weight, and in the dark I think people would be hard pressed to find a difference between it and a well known high end focuser.

4. It comes standard with a hard case.

Again thank you for your input. I respect your opinion and hopefully you can see why we made the choices we did with the scope.

Sounds good.

I think i have that focuser on a different scope and it is a good focuser.

With the F-7 focal ratio it should cover a larger sensor with a 2.5 inch draw tube - if it was less than F-7 a larger diameter draw tube would be better.

A Losmandy plate is cheap enough to buy as a replacement for those who have a mount head to match.

I still think the handle should be a two point attachment - stiffer for holding a guider scope. Good to know it has a rail.

This should be a really nice 102mm at a perfect F ratio within a price range doable for a larger number of those moving up from a smaller scope or for a better performance 4 incher.

It is definitely a scope I would point out to someone looking for a first refractor. Its the sweet spot for a refractor. Large enough to produce seeing level resolution. Small enough to be portable. And should be wide enough for most subjects yet long enough to reach the maximum resolution power the objective  size can provide.

Edited by drd715, 20 May 2020 - 09:41 PM.

#21 Passerine

Passerine

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: California SF Bay Area

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

I see they changed from FPL-53 to FCD-100 now for all 3 scopes in the series (60/72/102mm).  They will need to update the photos.  I wonder if the Lanthanum element is a change too?  I'm guessing maybe Lanthanum was also used with the earlier FPL-53 batches.

Dave

#22 StarHugger

StarHugger

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Milton Wisconsin, U.S.A

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:59 AM

Awesome 102, Nice job Astronomics!

#23 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

The focuser on my AT102ED is exactly as shown on the Astronomics web page:

AT102ED Website Focuser

The focuser on my SV102 has an extra hole in front of each pair of button-head screws, and striations on each side of the body:

SV102 Access Focuser

It's exactly as shown on the High Point Scientific web page.  And yes, I adjusted it.

Edited by howardcano, 21 May 2020 - 08:43 AM.

#24 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:39 AM

<SNIP>

No.  

(1) A guider bar?  This is not a telescope positioned for the astrophotograher; though some will try.

(2) Vixen style dovetail is more then sufficient for this.  And this is coming from someone who has standardized on Losmandy.  

(3) Would this be the same focuser as on the AT92?  If so, its a winner and up to the task.

(4) A case, yes.  But not a hard case.  I have a lot of telescope cases mostly from ScopeGuard.  I am currently transitioning all of them to soft/semi-soft cases from LightWare and PortaBrace etc.  These are more practical.  

Edited by peleuba, 21 May 2020 - 08:41 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, SteveG and RAKing like this

#25 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

I see they changed from FPL-53 to FCD-100 now for all 3 scopes in the series (60/72/102mm).  They will need to update the photos.  I wonder if the Lanthanum element is a change too?  I'm guessing maybe Lanthanum was also used with the earlier FPL-53 batches.

Dave

That was a language barrier issue on my side.  The 72 and 60 still use FPL-53 and Lanthanum combo.  They have since they were introduced.  I am fixing the website currently to reflect the glass type...again.

• eros312, Passerine, Francopoli and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics