•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New AT102EDL

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#26 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:12 AM

Hello, 

I am looking forward to joining the Astrotech 102 ED family. Just bought one like new for about $279.00 and could not turn it down. All the reviews on these telescopes have been quite complimentary. I would  think that the new version would  also be a fine performer in its class. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP. Jethro

• Jon Isaacs, zjc26138 and StarHugger like this

#27 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:27 AM

So after kicking it around a bit last night and this morning, I am taking the case out.  However, we will have a .95 strehl ratio guarantee on the instrument just like the AT92.

• Jon Isaacs, peleuba, zjc26138 and 10 others like this

#28 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:33 AM

So after kicking it around a bit last night and this morning, I am taking the case out. However, we will have a .95 strehl ratio guarantee on the instrument just like the AT92.

Some people like a hard case for safe at home storage, some like a padded case for compact transport, some don't want a case. Probably good to offer an optional case - hard or soft as a accessory.

I see on astronomics site a case for the 152 triplet. Interesting case for big refractors. Nice to have the option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Ihtegla Sar likes this

#29 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

Does taking the case out change price at all?

#30 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

Does taking the case out change price at all?

It was a price trade off.  Guarantee the optics instead of the case.  The case was an optional build in item, I thought it was a worthy price exchange.

• Paul Schroeder, Jon Isaacs, zjc26138 and 12 others like this

#31 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:34 AM

It was a price trade off.  Guarantee the optics instead of the case.  The case was an optional build in item, I thought it was a worthy price exchange.

Just was curious. Aston Martin color scheme again?

#32 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

Excellent addition to the lineup, Mike. A few years ago I decided to purchase a WO Z103 instead of the AT102 because of the improved glass, sliding dew shield, rotating focuser, and handle. You've addressed all those deficiencies and kept the price lower than the WO. Great job!

• Astronomics likes this

#33 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

Good trade off. I would much rather know it's benched with a guaranteed minimum of 0.95 SR over a case!

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 21 May 2020 - 11:42 AM.

• Astronomics, RAKing, ewave and 2 others like this

#34 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

This is a great addition to the lineup!  I'm sure the optical performance should be on par with the SV102 Access.  I cannot see any CA with my 102mm Access. 

Regarding the focuser discussion.  I bought the AT102ED last spring/summer when the new shipment with the sliding dew shield came in.  Then when the SV Access close out sale came about I picked up the 102 Access.   Both focusers are excellent.  They are not exactly the same but the do seem very similar.  I had SV put the rotating focuser on mine which has been a nice feature.

But if I had to choose I would say the AT focuser is a little smoother.  Now this could partly be that the SV focuser is probably adjusted to be a little tighter.   Both focusers are very solid and neither has had any issues other than a tiny amount of backlash with the SV focusers that happen to focus at a certain point. I would say the AT focuser is solid and buttery smooth.  The SV focuser on mine is solid and smooth. 

• howardcano likes this

#35 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

Good choice!  The optics and a solidly built OTA are the number one concerns.

• RAKing, John O'Grady, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#36 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:51 AM

Thats a nice setup. And the .95 guarantee is a great move. How about that same exact thing but at f11? 😂 a guy can dream!

#37 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Ranger 4

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

So after kicking it around a bit last night and this morning, I am taking the case out.  However, we will have a .95 strehl ratio guarantee on the instrument just like the AT92.

Interesting... while you're working on the website updates, you might consider mentioning the strehl ratio guarentee on the AT92 page.

A similar comment to the one on the new AT102DL would seem to be worthwhile mentioning.

Thanks - John

Edited by John O'Grady, 21 May 2020 - 12:01 PM.

• mrsjeff likes this

#38 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

It is.  The are so many options for a case and not many options for a 4" telescope with a guaranteed strehl of .950 or greater.

A worthy trade-off, indeed. 

• RAKing, BFaucett, howardcano and 1 other like this

#39 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

Already have an AT115EDT, but I have to admit--this is tempting.  Not much change in focal length for imaging, but a sizable drop in weight.  Might have a tiny bit of spurious with color if I'm using a modded DSLR, but I can't imagine we're talking anything really bothersome.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• zjc26138 and drd715 like this

#40 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

I would like to know if its close to my lunt ed 102 mm. 

#41 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

I'm thrilled with my new AT102ED.  I don't do deep-sky imaging, but I assume this EDL version is for that group?  For lunar/planetary, very few adjustments are needed for a CA-free capture...

This a light scope, and I've had zero problems with the Vixen dovetail, going from an AZ mount to an EQ mount in seconds -- with no worries about the scope coming loose / falling off.

IMO, the focuser is outstanding for an "economy" scope.  It carries my 2" diagonal + 1.25" bino-viewer + 2 eyepieces with no slippage at the zenith.

• howardcano and Jethro7 like this

#42 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

Just was curious. Aston Martin color scheme again?

You bet!

• Jaimo!, Agatha, Jond105 and 1 other like this

#43 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:59 PM

No.  

(1) A guider bar?  This is not a telescope positioned for the astrophotograher; though some will try.

(2) Vixen style dovetail is more then sufficient for this.  And this is coming from someone who has standardized on Losmandy.  

(3) Would this be the same focuser as on the AT92?  If so, its a winner and up to the task.

(4) A case, yes.  But not a hard case.  I have a lot of telescope cases mostly from ScopeGuard.  I am currently transitioning all of them to soft/semi-soft cases from LightWare and PortaBrace etc.  These are more practical.  

It is nice to have the opportunity to purchase different decent quality scopes and have such a variety to choose from. It wasn't too many years ago that the offerings in (other than the higher end limited production expensive manufacturers) everyday telescopes were not the greatest in optical and mechanical performance. Now we have much improved production line scopes available today. 

1.  Guider bar / handle  - a  single point handle is fine  for a grab point and carry grip. But a guider mount bar should be a two point connection to  be solid enough for imaging. the  small difference to make the handle a two point mount handle combination would be a simple improvement.   

As to the suitability of using this scope for imaging.   Current suggestions for using a 72-92mm short F--# scope is fine for super wide fields and the  CA component is better controlled in smaller diameter objectives. But for framing mid sized and smaller subjects 700mm and longer have a large place for imaging many objects. At 102mm even with good ed glass in a doublet the practical lower limit for minimizing CA is about F-7. Even at F-7 a reducer should not be applied because of CA limits - just use a 1.0 flattener.   If a desire to go below F-7 then a triplet would be the better choice.  Even as objective size gets bigger it soon becomes necessary to go the triplet design route (with some exceptions such as a calcium florite lens).  So this puts the 102ED FPL-53/ FCD-100 doublet in a good nitch for a relatively cost effective ota that should perform well in its focal length range. A sweet spot not too big not too smal. While a triplet 102apo would be better the doublet ED will work well at F-7,  not so much if reduced to an effective lower F ratio. 

2.  Agreed the vixen dovetail is certainly good for a 102mm scope.

3. The focuser appears to be similar or the same as those used on a series of Chinese sourced  packages. I  have a TS-F-11ed that has what appears to be the same unit. It is a very good 2.5 inch  focuser  - solid and stable. Certainly adequate for an F-7 light cone and imaging cameras not on overly long extensions. 

4.  Case options can be a separate accessory  option,  but i like them for safe in house storage and to keep everything together on weekend trips to a dark camping site or travel to a star party. 

PM me if you have a larger case you are culling from your herd. I  could use one for an F-7,  140mm scope. About a 36-40 inch case 12x12 or so.

• BFaucett likes this

#44 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

Looks promising. If I didn’t have a 92mm f6.7 now, I would be tempted. While placing a phone order for another Telrad this AM, I asked about AT102EDL delivery. Was told the scope is in production now and first shipments are about two months out, so passing it along, but  expect that’s more optimistic than realistic.

#45 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

Regarding the focuser discussion.  I bought the AT102ED last spring/summer when the new shipment with the sliding dew shield came in.  Then when the SV Access close out sale came about I picked up the 102 Access.   Both focusers are excellent.  They are not exactly the same but the do seem very similar.  I had SV put the rotating focuser on mine which has been a nice feature.

But if I had to choose I would say the AT focuser is a little smoother.  Now this could partly be that the SV focuser is probably adjusted to be a little tighter.   Both focusers are very solid and neither has had any issues other than a tiny amount of backlash with the SV focusers that happen to focus at a certain point. I would say the AT focuser is solid and buttery smooth.  The SV focuser on mine is solid and smooth. 

I also received a rotating focuser, but at no change in price.  I recall that SV were just using up whatever they had on hand.

My AT102ED focuser also seemed a bit smoother, but that wasn't the biggest reason I prefer it.  The focuser on the SV seems to weigh a whole lot more, (due to a longer housing, and maybe a longer drawtube, though I haven't measured it).  If given the choice, I'd prefer less weight.

Edited by howardcano, 21 May 2020 - 02:00 PM.

#46 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

3. The focuser appears to be similar or the same as those used on a series of Chinese sourced  packages. I  have a TS-F-11ed that has what appears to be the same unit. It is a very good 2.5 inch  focuser  - solid and stable. Certainly adequate for an F-7 light cone and imaging cameras not on overly long extensions. 

Mike - which focuser is coming with this telescope?  Is the same one as on the AT92?

#47 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

I think this is a beautiful addition to the Astro-Tech line.  I have always loved the grey Aston Martin color scheme and the scope's spec's sound terrific.

If I didn't already have a nice classic Tak FC-100, I would have already ordered one of these.  And I may decide that I need one anyway!

Great job, Mike! waytogo.gif

Ron

PS - I have an extra Lightware case sitting around, so the case option works fine for me. 

• Astronomics likes this

#48 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

This is going to be a killer scope! :)

• Astronomics and Jon Isaacs like this

#49 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

I'm thrilled with my new AT102ED.  I don't do deep-sky imaging, but I assume this EDL version is for that group?  For lunar/planetary, very few adjustments are needed for a CA-free capture...

This a light scope, and I've had zero problems with the Vixen dovetail, going from an AZ mount to an EQ mount in seconds -- with no worries about the scope coming loose / falling off.

IMO, the focuser is outstanding for an "economy" scope.  It carries my 2" diagonal + 1.25" bino-viewer + 2 eyepieces with no slippage at the zenith.

Thank you Bob, 

That is good information about the AT 102 focuser. I planned to use my WO 2" StarBright Diagonal that was left over from a diagonal upgrade on my C8.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#50 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:15 PM

Im thinking this is for the visual group myself. It’s still a doublet. I’m thinking it’s spend that extra little bit, and get every bit light to come to focus better. It’s giving visual observers some added scopes to decide through, AT102ED, may get a little CA, spend extra, may get as good as the 100ED’s with a wider field and more compact scope for portability. Imaging is still a triplets game, not saying people don’t do it with the doublet as I’ve seen great photos, but this to me is still geared for the visual observer wanting that little extra in the better glass. 

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics