•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SHJ 525 in Lyrae Revisited

art double star equipment eyepieces mount observing report refractor sketching
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mauigazer

mauigazer

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maui, Hawaii

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

This is a follow up on a thread started last August by Greg N here. Steve Smith presents a very stunning image of the A,B & C components in that thread. The C companion, identified as SHJ 282, (although not proven to be orbital), has been determined to be physical and increasing. Observations of these two stars have been tracked since 2004. Stelle Doppie shows it here; click on “Complete” to get more data. I’m not sure why the AB pair are considered “uncertain” in the Lit.
It turns out that this multiple star in Lyrae, STT 525, SHJ 282, is a triple with a fourth star, (making it a QUADRUPLE)! It is a bit challenging to observe all three close components and still get the D component in the EP as well. The D component can be found in Stelle Doppie as part of SHJ 282 and is not considered physical. The system is listed in the AstroLeague Multiple Star Observing Program found here.
The sketch was rendered with a Burgess 127mm f8 refractor and iOptron QZ25 mount. I observed this system this past Sunday night, May 17, 2020. I was chasing suckerholes in my back yard and finally had this object in the EP long enough to make the sketch. I juggled EPs until I was able to get all four stars in the same FOV with a Tele Vue Delos 6mm at 166X, 0.4 ° FOV. The B component is a close and somewhat dim 9th magnitude star at 1.8” separation. The Δ mag on the AB pair is 2.98. To get the D component, an 11th magnitude star at 214” separation, it gets fun.
I noted some of the field stars for kicks and giggles.
The only other sketch that I was able to get in the same session is Alniyat, Sigma Scorpius, H 4 121 which I will also post.

Allow me to link the image of the sketch to my Gallery.

Any thoughts or other images are welcome.
S. McG.

STT 525, SHJ 282 in Lyrae

• gfeulner, flt158, Far Star and 3 others like this

#2 c2m2t

c2m2t

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

Hi Steve!

You caught me off guard with your title...SHJ 525...you really mean STT 525...right??!!

SHJ 525 does not compute! wink.gif  Nice sketch!

Cheers, Chris.

• flt158 likes this

#3 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

Hi Steve !

I went back to my original data sets and reprocessed them to better preserve the color of the B component.  I also took a look at the most recent data and I dont think a strong case can be made that any of the 3 are truly bound to each other.  At best B & C may be co-moving - see proper motion plot.  The  parallax of  B has the largest uncertainty (+/- 8%) but the angular separation of 17,000 AU between B & C is huge.

STT525 C9 8-9-18 avg 4fr crop.jpg

STT525 Lyr PM.jpg

Edited by ssmith, 22 May 2020 - 09:47 AM.

• R Botero and flt158 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, double star, equipment, eyepieces, mount, observing report, refractor, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics