•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why Do They Market Bird Jones to Beginners?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 earlyriser

earlyriser

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

My main concern is the descriptions typically call the scope a Newtonian, and fail to indicate it is a Byrd-Jones configuration.  This seems to me to be deceptive.  

• BDS316, icomet, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#27 earlyriser

earlyriser

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

Agreed.

But turning out spherical mirrors is almost entirely a machine-made process, whereas parabolizing the mirrors requires some hand work or at least more elaborate testing.

So the cost of making the scope with a spherical mirror and (maybe plastic?) lens is a lot less than making a scope with a short focal length paraboloidal mirror.

It's all about selling the scope for as cheap a price as possible.

A 4.5" dob can be had for <$250, but that is $100 more than many 4.5" Jones-Bird monstrosities.

Just make it an f/10 spherical mirror and call it a day.  No need for the Bird-Jones lens.

#28 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

Just make it an f/10 spherical mirror and call it a day.  No need for the Bird-Jones lens.

That means a longer tube (higher cost), possibly heavier mount (more cost), larger box (higher cost), fewer scopes per container (higher shipping costs),

and less desirability to the consumer, who is looking for something small that takes up less space in the den or garage.

• Jon Isaacs, icomet and Bonco2 like this

#29 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

I give credit to Orion for not selling Jones-Bird scopes and for not selling scopes with 2 element eyepiece's.

Jon

Orion is not entirely without blame, but they are smart enough not to put their name on it.
https://www.telescop...39/p/106907.uts
  • Jon Isaacs and CrazyPanda like this

#30 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

No one seems to have hit upon reasons these telescopes keep getting sold. 

The people selling this c**p have no idea how or why telescopes are purchased.  All they know is these telescopes sell very well and there is money to be made.   And how does anyone pick a design to sell?  They look at the designs that sell!  This is the easiest method that one can use.  There is no need to delve into what's what in optics.  No bother at all!

They just need to know how to count money.   And how there is software that gets around this problem.

My surmise explains why this unlikely design is chosen.  Someone sold a lot of these before.

Think about that.

Ed

• Diego, MeridianStarGazer, Augustus and 2 others like this

#31 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Gemini

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:46 AM

No one seems to have hit upon reasons these telescopes keep getting sold. 

The people selling this c**p have no idea how or why telescopes are purchased.  All they know is these telescopes sell very well and there is money to be made.   And how does anyone pick a design to sell?  They look at the designs that sell!  This is the easiest method that one can use.  There is no need to delve into what's what in optics.  No bother at all!

They just need to know how to count money.   And how there is software that gets around this problem.

My surmise explains why this unlikely design is chosen.  Someone sold a lot of these before.

Think about that.

Ed

Unfortunately, bean counters rule the world, and the world is a worse place for it.

#32 sunrag

sunrag

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

I have a Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ (F7.8) which I got cheap, primarily for the tube rings to use with my ATM refractor.

I have used only once and looked at the moon. It was not bad.

I with an idea of removing  the corrector lens in the focuser and turn it into a 500mm FL. But a quick search in CN forums indicated that this is a bad idea. Removing the corrector will cause much spherical aberration.

Edited by sunrag, 23 May 2020 - 08:59 PM.

• iamfurgus likes this

#33 stubeeef

stubeeef

Apollo

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Excuse my ignorance, I've never heard the Term Bird Jones....anyone got some origins  on it?

#34 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Excuse my ignorance, I've never heard the Term Bird Jones....anyone got some origins  on it?

See here:

https://en.wikipedia...onian_telescope

The article is about the Newtonian design, but if you scroll down a ways, you will see a section on the Jones-Bird design, a variation of Newtonian design.

smp

• stubeeef likes this

#35 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Thats not enough. They also need to reduce their costs (tube length, packaging and shipping) because you know... GREED

#36 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

Thats not enough. They also need to reduce their costs (tube length, packaging and shipping) because you know... GREED

True. They probably make more money from it than other beginner scopes

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics