•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT 102 ED, Good for Astrophotography?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaulTheAstronomer2

PaulTheAstronomer2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina US

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:04 PM

Hey everyone I wanted to see if anyone thinks the AT 102 ED scope is good for astrophotography. For about a year I have imaged with a 72 mm refractor and I have gotten great images with it. I was wondering If anyone has this telescope or has owned it, and what their review of it is. I have heard great things about it from my club but I have found very few reviews online.

I am mostly worried about moving from FPL-53 glass to FK-61 ED glass (same as FPL-51). I have imaged many bright targets and with the higher quality glass I have no halos around bright targets like stars and planets. I have looked through my friends achromat ES 127 and have seen his images and their is a noticeable amount of chromatic aberration around bright objects.

I was thinking about getting the Triplet APO from ES, though I also found this telescope and wondered if it could be good even with lower quality glass.

Altogether I would love to get this telescope and I believe it is very sturdy and has high quality components like the optical tube and focuser. 

Any info or help would be appreciated

Thanks, Paul 

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:48 PM

The build quality is good but it will have more CA than you are used to with the lower grade glass and F7 ratio. It will have less CA than your friends 5” achro though. So it is just a matter of sensitivity to CA. Because of the lower grade glass, the F7 ratio and only being a doublet, there will be CA in the images. But it is less expensive than the new version with FCD100 and Lanthanum. So do you want to pay $500 more or are you willing to live with some CA?

Scott
  • Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics