•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

what is best way to set up goto mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fowlerville, MI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

What is the best way to set up the goto system (5" full tube newtonian ds2130ate)? Currently I take a level and level the mount without the motor, then I put the motor unit on, then attach the scope. I then use the level to make sure the tube is level. I then take my compass and try to get it inline with the tube and align to true north using the angle of declination for my area which is ~7° west. When I do easy alignment, the target star is close but not close enough and I need to move the base (via motor control) more then I need. Once aligned when I go to a target star it is visible in my 25mm eyepiece but more to edge. If I went higher magnification it would not be in tbe eyepiece. Is there a better way or do I just need to work on getting my alignment better via level and compass?

#2 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

The north and level are only used to get the alignment stars close. I am not familiar with your mount, but believe there should be something in the telescope menu that allows you to calibrate or train your drives. This is used to reduce the effect of gear backlash.

#3 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fowlerville, MI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

I think I remember seeing something like that.

#4 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

That can make a big difference!

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

Hello Moonbiter,

I use a 25mm eyepiece than a 9mm Plossl with dual crosshairs to align my stars. You will be surprised how far off you are off with lower power or wide field eyepices

I am not familiar with your mount but their should be a alignment procedure that corrects for alignment deviations do to your starting at magnetic North and not Polaris  most GoTo mounts have such a function in the HC.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro.

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Explorer 1

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:46 PM

Hi I own the Meade LX90 12” ACF 

im not not sure if your alignment procedure is the same as yours

in saying that tho in your topic seems to be very similar so the principal could be the same 

1.level the tripod 

2.make sure the hand set is intialised 

3 train the drives this tweaks up goto slighty and maintains tracking accuracy 

4Day light savings time on or off to summer time 

5 True north is much more  accurate if find Polaris in finder scope first 

6 then level scope OTA make sure that both clutches are locked 

7when you go to easy align mode gps fixes 

8when the scope chooses first alignment star you should be very close to the feild of view of finder scope if not in the feild of view 

this is are some pointers it may help (use your widest feild eyepeice)

Edited by Supernova74, 27 May 2020 - 03:47 PM.

#7 astrovoyeur

astrovoyeur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

What is the best way to set up the goto system (5" full tube newtonian ds2130ate)? Currently I take a level and level the mount without the motor, then I put the motor unit on, then attach the scope. I then use the level to make sure the tube is level. I then take my compass and try to get it inline with the tube and align to true north using the angle of declination for my area which is ~7° west. When I do easy alignment, the target star is close but not close enough and I need to move the base (via motor control) more then I need. Once aligned when I go to a target star it is visible in my 25mm eyepiece but more to edge. If I went higher magnification it would not be in tbe eyepiece. Is there a better way or do I just need to work on getting my alignment better via level and compass?

I have an old lx200 classic on a cart.  Every time I roll it out, its not always to the same spot because of obstructions, as a result its not always level.   But I've found I can get by without it being perfectly level. 

1. Once the tripod is setup and reasonably level, I loosen the clutches and manually set the OTA to 0 degree alt and us my phone compass to point the OTA to North, then lock the clutches. 

2. Next I power up the mount which initializes the alt/az counters to 0/0 for north/horizon and do a 2 star alignment in the area I plan to view.   I use a Bluetooth adapter with the Skysafari phone app to navigate and tweak the alignment throughout the evening. 

3. If I move across the meridian I'll go into my hand controller and do another 2 star alignment for  the new area.   

It takes me less than 4 minutes to roll out, align and  goto my first observation. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics