•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX-70 power cable alternatives?

accessories beginner Meade
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MNLegoBoy

MNLegoBoy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: MN

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:13 PM

Are there any of those universal power cable things that have been known to work with Meade's input plug. As far as I can tell it needs to be 12 vollt, and probably a few amps 2-3 maybe? I would LIPo mod, but if power cables from an outlet isn't an issue, why spend more on it (Although I would like to do it). I dont know if theres a standard for these types of plugs, so thats why i was asking.

Thanks for all help!

It also seems the autostar display will show random characters at times (might be the cable or batteries), everything's readable for now at least, might have to get a programming cable as well... Sometimes it works perfectly fine though...

I like the scope so far, the goto seems nice.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:47 AM

Have to say: Puzzled.

The Meade power lead for an ETX-70 is a PP3 type plug.

If actually power and the PP3 connector try this:

Easiest is get a PP3 connector at an electronics shop and get a normalish circular power plug - female, unsure of the exact specification think 2.1mm comes into it. In general there seems 2 main options and it is the smaller.

Wiring is both easy and a pain.

Wire the Large PP3 connector lead to the Negative - outer of the round one.

Wire the Small PP3 connector lead to the Positive - Inner of the round one.

On mine the Large PP3 connector is the Red lead.

Yes I know you are wiring a +ve wire to the -ve output but when you connect at the ETX the large of the ETX becomes +ve. This is half of the pain bit. The other half is soldering the wire to the small center of the round female socket.

Then you plug you connector into the ETX, feed the 2 wires through a corner and leave the round power socket hanging out. Put the Li 12v battery on the base, connect to the socket and offyou go.

Cost around $4 I guess, maybe less and very useful.

From memory the ETX90/105/125 has a bigger power plug, that one has a 2.5mm in the specification, it is the bigger of the 2 common ones. That is easier to wire as it is center to center and outer to outer. I have ETX 70 and 105 so have a collection of small converters. Have wired one wrong, the ETX didn't seem to care.

#3 astrowolf67

astrowolf67

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:04 PM

I've never seen the ETX 70 in person, but, if it has the same base setup like my ETX 60, and ETX 80, an adapter is easily made.  The AA battery holders in mine, plug in to a 9V battery style connector.  All you need to do, is use another 9V connector, wired appropriately, to connect your adapter cable.  I made my own 12V adapter like this, with a plug from an auto parts store, and the 9V plugs from a battery store.  I tied a knot in the cable as a stress relief, and just run the cable out the battery compartment door of the base.

#4 MNLegoBoy

MNLegoBoy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: MN

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:10 PM

I've never seen the ETX 70 in person, but, if it has the same base setup like my ETX 60, and ETX 80, an adapter is easily made.  The AA battery holders in mine, plug in to a 9V battery style connector.  All you need to do, is use another 9V connector, wired appropriately, to connect your adapter cable.  I made my own 12V adapter like this, with a plug from an auto parts store, and the 9V plugs from a battery store.  I tied a knot in the cable as a stress relief, and just run the cable out the battery compartment door of the base.

Mine doesn't have a 9v connector, it has spots for 8 AA on the bottom and the 12v connector I talked qbout

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics