•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow! New England’s Memorial Day looks “Deep”

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:17 PM

I can’t believe the luck. After 9 long weeks of “Quarantine”

Finally!!!

A long weekend, no moon and clear skies... think the scope will be up Friday thru Sunday from the looks of it. It’s been SO long since I’ve had the chance to get the big scope out,  Never mind the ability to do some serious deep sky observing...

Think I’ll have myself a mini Star party. Just my wife, daughter and I. (Not like I have a choice right?).

Hope you all see great stuff. The skies to me are so much more pristine lately. Might just be cabin fever.. but., maybe the earth is finally taking a deep breath hoping that we notice.

Attached Thumbnails

• 24BD8324-1B6F-4CF0-A19A-AFCC01B27521.jpeg

• Dave Mitsky, Procyon, rockethead26 and 5 others like this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:36 AM

Good luck -- what is on your list to observe?  thinking1.gif 

#3 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:46 AM

Awesome! I hope everything works fine for you without any issues and you get some good frames.

In my area summer clearly dislikes astrophotography :(. Won't get any astronomical darkness before August.

annual_darkness.png

Best time for fiddling with guiding settings, mechanical issues, cleaning equipment etc..

Hope you are ready to go for those great, upcoming Nights!
  • Procyon likes this

#4 starbuckin

starbuckin

Vostok 1

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:16 AM

Hi Daniel! I'm in central MA.

Yes, finally some good nights, and during new moon!

The only sad part is those darkness bars (4 hours now lol). On the other hand, you don't freeze your buns off.

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

I am set up and ready to cover the northern borders.,lol.,This is a treat for the new moon weekend.,best2all

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200522_075001.jpg

• Procyon, Thomas Marshall, B l a k S t a r and 2 others like this

#6 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Here in western Iowa...   Thunderstorms predicted for the forcastable future.  :(  Probably my own fault for finally buying one of those parallelogram mounts for my 20x80's.

Marty

• Procyon, clearwaterdave and B l a k S t a r like this

#7 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:06 AM

Here in western Iowa... Thunderstorms predicted for the forcastable future. :( Probably my own fault for finally buying one of those parallelogram mounts for my 20x80's.
Marty

Astroshops should show a warning right at the "Order" button: New moon is right around the corner. Are you sure you want to buy now? Check the "Full Moon Delivery" option to finish your order automatically in the week before full moon.

That would be some improvement ^^
  • epee, payner, bumm and 2 others like this

#8 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

I’ve been in southern Vermont since Tuesday. Every night has been clear so far. I usually bring my 4” refractor but we had 2 vehicles this time so I brought my 8” dob. Wow! I need some sleep already.
  • Dave Mitsky, Procyon and B l a k S t a r like this

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

It looks like Monday night, which may be partly cloudy, will be the next opportunity to observe in my area.  

https://forecast.wea...89&lat=40.1469#

#10 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Well so far so good. The skies weren’t as transparent as I think they could be but the temperature, bugs and overall dryness is wonderful.

I mostly gazed at galaxies (Like whirlpool) and many globular clusters available in my narrow slot of south facing sky. I have to say the Whirlpool was great. If I looked long enough I could just make out the spiral arms. It was overall a great night. So peaceful and nice to forget about life for a while.

I had my 5 year old daughter stay up till 10 so I could try and show her some stuff. Unfortunately there were only globular clusters to show at that time. And she didn’t really know what she was looking at. (Her words). However while she sat in the chair as I fiddled with Scope alignments she asked what the moving star was drifting across overhead. I told her it was a satellite. And I asked if she knew what that was,.. she answered “No” so I explained it’s machine launched on a rocket to take photos of the earth. Sort of like the Space station but without astronauts. She exclaimed! “Oh I’ve got to tell Mommy about that,... it’s SO cool....”  But I stopped her as she tried to run inside because it would have ruined her 30 min dark adaption. 

Therefore the satellite stole the show. The globular clusters nope. A guys gotta start somewhere I guess.

Tomorrow’s another night. I’m hoping it’s more transparent than tonight. Unfortunately it’s gonna be 10 deg. colder. Time to turn in and dream of clear skies. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend so far.

• payner, bumm, NYJohn S and 1 other like this

#11 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

I can’t believe the luck. After 9 long weeks of “Quarantine”
Finally!!!

A long weekend, no moon and clear skies... think the scope will be up Friday thru Sunday from the looks of it. It’s been SO long since I’ve had the chance to get the big scope out, Never mind the ability to do some serious deep sky observing...

Think I’ll have myself a mini Star party. Just my wife, daughter and I. (Not like I have a choice right?).

Hope you all see great stuff. The skies to me are so much more pristine lately. Might just be cabin fever.. but., maybe the earth is finally taking a deep breath hoping that we notice.

What app or program are you using for your weather report?

#12 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

I use a few websites and one app. Of course all this in conjunction with my local weather TV station.

Websites:

http://clearoutside.....69?view=midday

https://www.cleardarksky.com/csk/

App:

Astrospheric. 

#13 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

Ha! I use the clear outside app, but not the website! I like that display with the moon phase.

I also use Astrospheric; between the two of them I usually get a good sense

Michael

#14 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:30 PM

For sure. If they all agree it’s almost 100% certain the sky will be as predicted.

I do find clear outside is the most pessimistic of all the resources. And that’s a good thing.

#15 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:33 PM

On and my second consecutive night was just as good as the first. Whirlpool galaxy was even easier to see the spiral arms. What a treat! Gonna miss this weather, but alas it’s time to leave and back to “working from home”.

Happy Memorial Day All!

• payner likes this

#16 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

Hoping for a clear night! Happy Memorial Day!

#17 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

We had 3 1/2 clear nights.,and a good time was had by all.,that's me.,I also dragged out my biggest guns and spend a lot of time in Galaxy Alley.,Nice temps here.,well.,30-40*.,that's nice without wind.,Sat.night was best seeing.,pushed it on some globs wit da dobs.,The Orion 120 achro did very well with an ES,82/6.7.,

We are overcast now.,and that is ok.,I saw a huge fireball early last week to get the party goin.,lol.,I'm ready for some sleep.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200523_115622.jpg

• Knasal and NYJohn S like this

#18 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:08 AM

30 degrees is cold for observing in my book. Upper 20s is about as cold as I go, and luckily that is about the coldest average (January) for me near Lexington, where I am at through the week.

Glad you folks got a nice holiday weekend of observing in. We had clear to partly cloudy with pop-up T-showers and then partly to mostly cloudy at night with occasional showers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics