•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good Dovetail for ETX 80 on LX65?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 STWR

STWR

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bellingham, Washington

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:49 PM

Hello Space Wizards! I am trying to find the best dovetail for my situation.

I got a Meade ETX 80 that I am trying to mount onto the secondary saddle of my new LX65. The ETX80's shoe is about 62mm long and has 2x 1/4×20 SHCS slots that are about 32mm apart. 

I am also trying to hook up my 1lb DSLR to the ETX80 and the saddle is only rated for 7lbs. So my dovetail can't exceed 3 pounds or i'll be overweight.

I imagine a longer dovetail will be useful for balancing and I keep eyeballing the 7" universal ones.

Does anyone have a recommended dovetail for this circumstance? I have never purchased a dovetail so I am very sorry if this all seems trivial.

Thanks for reading and clear skies.

P.S. I got the 8" ACF smile.gif No clearness yet but oooooooh am I ready!!!!

#2 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Go to a web site called scopestuff.com.   Better yet call or write the owner.  It almost sounds like you want one of his rail systems.  If you want it he has it.  Another good vendor is ADM.  

Edited by Brent Campbell, 22 May 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• STWR and Lefty469 like this

#3 STWR

STWR

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bellingham, Washington

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

Go to a web site called scopestuff.com.   Better yet call or write the owner.  It almost sounds like you want one of his rail systems.  If you want it he has it.  Another good vendor is ADM.  

Thanks for the speedy reply. You beat all the online sales reps! I never even knew about scopestuff.com so thank you doubly for that. Mike's ETX 8" long dovetail looks perfect. Hopefully it'll be here once the clouds go away :) Thank you again!!

• Lefty469 likes this

#4 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. You beat all the online sales reps! I never even knew about scopestuff.com so thank you doubly for that. Mike's ETX 8" long dovetail looks perfect. Hopefully it'll be here once the clouds go away smile.gif Thank you again!!

Your welcome!

• STWR likes this

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

If you have woodworking skills you can make one out of cherry or oak. 

Amateurs have been using wood for this purpose for a long time.  Cherry/Oak are strong but light vs solid aluminum barstock. 

I happen to have a 90ETX for my LX65.  I plan to countersink a couple of holes in some cherry(or oak) for attaching the 90mm.  

• STWR likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics