•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier for the Nexstar 11 GPS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 daslolo

daslolo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:52 PM

I have had this telescope for 2 month and already feeling the urge to make it a permanent decoration of the landscape.

Inspired by @oldmansky I bought the brake rotor to see if it fits the mount

Wow it does!

photo_2020-05-22_13-52-58.jpg

80mm from center to wedge hole set is a perfect fit for the 9" rotor, 114mm radius.

Surprisingly metric for a US made telescope!

photo_2020-05-22_13-52-56.jpg

I'll fix the smaller circle of the brake rotor to the pier @telesonic recommended that I go to farming irrigation supply, with a bit of luck I'll get cheap 6" pipes and flanges. Steel might turn into a magnet but I think there is an old way to demagnetize by banging on it with a hammer.

Now how do you think I can put together the brake pad and the pier?

• telesonic and OldManSky like this

#2 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

Nice! That should work, I'd think. No ideas as to how to attach the pipe to the brake rotor... you may have to get creative here.

As far as the steel being magnetic, I wouldn't worry about it - it shouldn't interfere with the mount at all, I believe. In fact, once you glue a small disc magnet to the back of your HC box... then the pier becomes a great place to stick controllers on. grin.gif

Best of luck on your project, I'll try to remember to keep an eye on this one. 

Cheers, 

Temp

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics