•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI290MM question (or any CMOS camera).

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

Hi all,

This may seem like a strange question, but I'm curious if there is any evidence that our CMOS cameras "wear out" after a period of time, the characteristics of the chip change? Like do they become less sensitive, or change their sensitivity to different wavelengths or increase or decrease contrast levels...anything? It entered my head a bit ago so I thought I'd ask. I have posted over 1400 images since I bought the camera and I've probably captured at least 5-10 times that many images that never got posted.

Just an odd quarantine question...I could be over thinking this too.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Thanks!

Paul M.

• dhammy likes this

#2 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:31 PM

Individual pixels can die, but the CMOS sensor won't "wear".

#3 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

I guess sensors at least need a clean after a while and perhaps overtime more difficult residue accumulates.   I would have suggested you spend some lockdown retail therapy on a ASI224mc as a standard, but you already have one. I cannot think of anything more flash to buy instead.  You can always run the 224mc against the 290MM and see if the relative performance is similar to what you obtained in the past.

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

...this user appears to age at a faster rate than any cameras I've owned tbh..! :lol: 

• kbev and roelb like this

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

Thanks! I'm having no problems with the 290mm. Sometimes the odd thought enters my mind. BTW, I noticed there is an updated version of the ASI camera drivers on Sam's site dated 05/20/20.

I fully can relate to the user aging issue for sure! lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Edited by Sunspot, 22 May 2020 - 07:47 PM.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

...I'll flick Sam an email to clarify the update Paul & let anyone know if it is a "miracle cure" for any of the issues that still persist with these cams. ;)

• Sunspot likes this

#7 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

That would be great. I saw the update, but nothing about why it's there. Thanks!!

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

I've sent the email Paul - Sam is usually prompt: I've asked him specifically what these updates achieve so I'll let you know when I hear back from him. :)

• Sunspot likes this

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

...I'll flick Sam an email to clarify the update Paul & let anyone know if it is a "miracle cure" for any of the issues that still persist with these cams. wink.gif

What are the issues with the ASI cameras?  

#10 jesco_t

jesco_t

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:08 AM

Semiconductor do age and wear out. That’s why manufacturers make a lot of effort in reliability testing these with accelerated wear-out testing. Check out something like the AEC-Q101 to get an idea what is done for all the discrete semis like diodes, Mosfets and the like in modern cars.

I didn’t find any industry standards regarding CMOS sensors. But found a paper by NASA that would indicate that the aging for sensors also exists, but is less an issue at normal operating conditions: https://ntrs.nasa.go...20040073471.pdf

Edited by jesco_t, 24 May 2020 - 02:08 AM.

• roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics