•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So I have a set of Meade 5000 UWA eyepieces...

eyepieces equipment Meade reflector
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:00 PM

Hi, I'm Clint. "Hi, Clint." I have a problem. I buy (too many?) eyepieces (too fast?).

Its COVID-19 time. The government has mailed out their checks and its time to upgrade my new dob that came with a 25mm plossl and a Barlow. One of the first eyepieces I get is the Meade UWA 82 - 14mm. I think to myself WOW! They didn't make eyepieces like this 20 years ago that i could afford. 

So then I bought a 38mm Agena SWA. It was cool because it was my first 2" eyepiece. Like looking into a porthole in space. The outer edges were unusable and I realized that I had exceeded the minimum useful magnification of 36x for my scope. Oh well - still works for finding stuff!

Then I got the 5.5mm version of the Meade UWA. Really helped bring out the individual stars in some of the more distant globular clusters. And the EP was so easy to look through. I remember my 6.3mm plossl having the view of a pinhead. THIS was awesome!

What? They make a 20mm in the UWA? Everything else in its range was 2-3times more expensive. Another box arrives from Agena (they are great btw!). Hey I'm a newb, and I was born at night, but not last night. This thing gave an outstanding view for the price, and i feel like spending any more would make me uncomfortable - I have small children that I'm sure dream of making my dob a see-saw and testing waterproof ratings of eyepieces via minutes of drool exposure. 

Well now I gotta get the 8.8mm to round out the set... I check the FOV indicators with and without the 2x barlow in SkySafari and could see some benefit (yes, I'm getting greedy at this point - but it barlows down just a bit further than the 5.5 and gets me another stepping stone of magnification. 

Side note - mathematical computations on magnification do not seem to give me the same "picture in my mind" of what I'm getting. I really recommend putting the equipment into sky safari (or similar) and looking at the scope view at previsouly viewed objects. (Liberal arts college - I like pictures)

So now the 38mm - not all of it is being used since a fair amount of the outer edges are unusable with my focal length. Let's get something thats at the bottom, but within the scope's 36x lower limit. Enter the ES 32mm 62 series (somewhere between CA and AL right now-thanks Agena!). It's been reviewed very highly for its flat field and pinpoint stars. I even stayed awake thinking about getting it in the mail and popping it in the scope. It felt like Christmas Eve.

Reference my current line up in signature line. Do I have a problem? From my reentry into the hobby with the scope purchase till now is under 60 days. What should I be considering with this line up?

I also am interested in hearing from folks who have DIRECTLY compared the current Meade 5000 UWA series to ES, TV, etc. Help train my eye since I can't hook up with a club right now. Why do I think the view is so great, and that these EP's hit a solid value mark? What am i missing? I did see some "Its not a $450 TV, so its not as good." reviews on the Meade UWA series EPs, but thats not especially helpful feedback. 

Lastly, I had to buy all this under duress. My wife couldn't show her horse for two months due to covid - it was buy it now or lose the opportunity to get a hobby. I literally had to pry into the hobby before the 1500 pound thing that usually eats all my money went back to work.

• asterope62 likes this

#2 asterope62

asterope62

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:22 PM

I can't say that I bought all of my eyepieces in a short amount of time; I did however change them over time. The ones I currently have were the result of buying, trying,  then selling ones that I either weren't happy with, or was the result of thinking that I had spent too much money. I have bought, then sold a TeleVue 35mm Panoptic three times! I finally decided to keep the last one I bought because I found that I missed it when I didn't have it. You will probably go through something similar,  many that I've talked to have.

• vtornado likes this

#3 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:31 PM

I can't say that I bought all of my eyepieces in a short amount of time; I did however change them over time. The ones I currently have were the result of buying, trying,  then selling ones that I either weren't happy with, or was the result of thinking that I had spent too much money. I have bought, then sold a TeleVue 35mm Panoptic three times! I finally decided to keep the last one I bought because I found that I missed it when I didn't have it. You will probably go through something similar,  many that I've talked to have.

Thanks for the TV story. I could see myself doing something similar. That's probably why I'm a bit hesitant to cross that bridge to the high end EP's. I would end up having a whole series of TV eyepieces... which would probably be great ; )

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

I would say you are pretty well set for now, if you end up liking the ES 32/62. Especially with the sale on the Meade UWA series is kind of an unbeatable value. Having a fast scope, you might end up noticing some field curvature in the Meade 14mm. Probably it and the ES 32 are your “weakest links” right now. They are still fine eyepieces and can serve you well for years, but if you must scratch that TV itch, you might consider a 13 Nagler. As for upgrading the 32mm, that could get pricey but an ES 30/82 comes to mind. However now you have weight issues to consider. 

other somewhat cheaper alternatives to a 13T6 would include an Orion 14 LHD (I have heard conflicting reports about the ease of eye placement but the eyepieces seem to perform well), a Speers Waler 14mm series 4, possibly a Vixen 14 SSW but it probably will be about the same price as the Nagler, maybe a 12.5 Morpheus. Unfortunately in order to best the 14 Meade you have to spend $200-280 so at a certain point maybe just go with the Nagler rather than the Morpheus or something that has very few reviews.

Scott

• SeaLint likes this

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:03 PM

I have the meade HD60  25mm eyepiece.  I love it.

If you have doubts, I would buy eyepieces here used.  That way you can try them, and if you don't like them

you can flip them for about what you paid.  To me it is very hard to judge an eyepiece with just one look.

How much of the bad view of an eyepiece is due to bad seeing?  An eyepiece really needs

to be judged over time to see if it is a keeper or not.

A very important part of the optical chain that is over looked is your eyes and your brain.

How they interact with the telescope and eyepiece is very personal an unique.

I personally have found that my mid-grade eyepieces are so close to top shelf that I sold the

top shelf and stick with my mid grade eyepieces.  But I'm not the "best" observer and

my eyes are older and stinky. 

Another thing is that with a mid-grade eyepieces I don't sweat losing one, getting dirty, or stolen.

Sometimes I sleep with my stuff in the car, and I sleep like a baby.  I'm not sure I could sleep

with car full of ethos eyepieces.

• SeaLint likes this

#6 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:23 PM

Vtornado, 

Yeah, I looked at the HD 60 line. People had really good things to say about them. Definitely had one or two in the shopping cart. 

FYI New Members: As for the resale, being a newbie here I guess makes it hard to resell. In my excitement to thin the heard of EP's that were accumulating, someone was not too pleased that i approached them with nil posts on a wanted add and offered to mail it to them in Canada (where they lived). I guess the "I have what you want, send me money via PayPal, I send you the thing you want," was just too much for a member to get over - but thats how this works right? Admin (hats off to them for their concern) had me in the penalty box for today until they could verify I wasn't a scammer. I probably took it a bit personally. Just something worth noting for other new members out there. Get more posts before you approach a wanted add.   

#7 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:02 AM

Having a fast scope, you might end up noticing some field curvature in the Meade 14mm. Probably it and the ES 32 are your “weakest links” right now. They are still fine eyepieces and can serve you well for years, but if you must scratch that TV itch, you might consider a 13 Nagler. As for upgrading the 32mm, that could get pricey but an ES 30/82 comes to mind. However now you have weight issues to consider. 

Scott

Scott,

Thanks so much for those recommendations. I have to admit, I'm really impressed with your ability to hone in on the 14 and 32. What spec or combination of specs made those two jump out at you as the weak links?

-Clint

#8 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:14 AM

Ep's for visual are a two edged sword IMO.

I recently added a 2 inch 28mm es to the stable; not so much for a gap in magnification, because it is my first 2" ep for this scope.

I find myself NOT wanting to change EP's too often as the night wears on.

This ^^^ is the two edged sword I referenced. On top of all that, now I have to change my diagonal adapter

between 1.25" and the one 2 inch I want to use.

Other than the moon and planets; I find myself hovering in the 50x-150x range most of the time.

#9 asterope62

asterope62

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the TV story. I could see myself doing something similar. That's probably why I'm a bit hesitant to cross that bridge to the high end EP's. I would end up having a whole series of TV eyepieces... which would probably be great ; )

TV eyepieces are just what I ended up with over the years. I started with a set of Orthos and Kelner eyepieces that I used with an old orange Celestron 8 telescope that I bought during the 1970s. My first "premium" eyepiece was a 20mm Erfle, after using that eyepiece I realized that better eyepieces were out there. During the 1980s I bought Plössls to replace the Orthos and Kelners (I still own a set of the Meade 4000 series Plössls that I use for public star parties). During the 1990s, after borrowing some TV eyepieces during star parties I decided that was the way that I should go, my current set was purchased over the span of 25 years.

#10 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:24 AM

TV eyepieces are just what I ended up with over the years. I started with a set of Orthos and Kelner eyepieces that I used with an old orange Celestron 8 telescope that I bought during the 1970s. My first "premium" eyepiece was a 20mm Erfle, after using that eyepiece I realized that better eyepieces were out there. During the 1980s I bought Plössls to replace the Orthos and Kelners (I still own a set of the Meade 4000 series Plössls that I use for public star parties). During the 1990s, after borrowing some TV eyepieces during star parties I decided that was the way that I should go, my current set was purchased over the span of 25 years.

Yeah, I had a set of Meade 4000 from the nineties. They are great eyepieces, especially when compared to stock plossls today. I got the orion 25mm with my scope and was disappointed. It didn't come close to my memory of the build quality and the heft of the 26mm Meade. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of what i've got and then carefully weigh TV upgrades slowly. 

#11 SeaLint

SeaLint

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:43 AM

Ep's for visual are a two edged sword IMO.

I recently added a 2 inch 28mm es to the stable; not so much for a gap in magnification, because it is my first 2" ep for this scope.

I find myself NOT wanting to change EP's too often as the night wears on.

This ^^^ is the two edged sword I referenced. On top of all that, now I have to change my diagonal adapter

between 1.25" and the one 2 inch I want to use.

Other than the moon and planets; I find myself hovering in the 50x-150x range most of the time.

I agree, it can be a small burden to switch between the two. Having another 2" with a barlow may help stay on the 2" side of the fence for more objects. But I have a Dob and no experience with refractors.

I ended up purchasing a GSO 2" barlow, comes with a nice 1.25 adapter. That helps me go from the largest (soon to be 32mm) to my 20mm meade, barlow the 32, and then barlow the 20mm to 10mm. My first 1.25 is a 14mm and provides a nice eyepiece to gap the difference.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, equipment, Meade, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics