•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antlia narrowband filter halo measurements

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DrGomer

DrGomer

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:20 AM

These are pretty new filters and are competing in the budget spot against Baader, ZWO, Astronomcis and the like.

So, I thought I'd do some quantitative testing to see how they perform with respect to halos as it seems to be one of the major concerns with filters in general.
I'll let your eyes be the judge and comment accordingly as these are the only narrow band filters I have experience with. 

For reference, these run $209 ea for 1.25" mounted filters.
(images are cropped to the same scale)

Attached Thumbnails

• Antlia.JPG

Edited by DrGomer, 23 May 2020 - 12:32 AM.

• leviathan and LYAstro like this

#2 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:32 AM

Thank you very much ! I was waiting for the tests of these filters, especially for O-III one since almost all oxygen filters of different manufacturers have halos around bright stars.

#3 DrGomer

DrGomer

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:39 AM

my opinions so far is that if there is a really bright star in the field, you'll have halos but only with Oiii. Very few targets have such bright stars and in those cases, there are ways to remove the halo in PI. If post processing away the halo is a problem for those few targets, then maybe get a premium Oiii filter. there still may be halos with those (but reduced), but only with the brightest stars.  
I'm going to stick with these for now though. I also have LRGB on order which should ship out next week and I aim to repeat this test with those filters.

Edited by DrGomer, 23 May 2020 - 12:41 AM.

• premk19 likes this

#4 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:42 AM

Same sentiment as leviathan.  Thank you DrGomer for taking the time to do this!  I hadn't seen much w.r.t. the Antlia OIII filter until recently, and your test results are really great.  I'd be happy if it takes only an Arcturus or Alkaid to produce a halo!

These filters are looking better and better...

-Ara

#5 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:16 AM

For the price that is pretty good performance. I have seen a few images from those filters, and they looked pretty solid overall. Could be the new budget narrowband kings.

How thick are the filters themselves (note, not the bandpass, the actual glass itself).

#6 DrGomer

DrGomer

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

For the price that is pretty good performance. I have seen a few images from those filters, and they looked pretty solid overall. Could be the new budget narrowband kings.

How thick are the filters themselves (note, not the bandpass, the actual glass itself).

Not sure how thick the glass is.  I have the 1.25" mounted filters and I can say that they fit in the newer ASI 8 position filter wheel (someone mentioned in another thread that some filters wouldn't' fit in it, but these do). 

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:31 AM

Not sure how thick the glass is.  I have the 1.25" mounted filters and I can say that they fit in the newer ASI 8 position filter wheel (someone mentioned in another thread that some filters wouldn't' fit in it, but these do). 

I found it. They are 2mm thick, so be sure to account for them with 0.67mm of spacing.

Edited by rockstarbill, 23 May 2020 - 03:04 AM.

• premk19 likes this

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:57 AM

Nice test, but i wish to see more comparisons with other filters for same targets or brightest stars to see how much each or most are holding to each other, This filter is at 3.5nm so not sure how good it is not just for brighter stars but under light pollution areas, and the prices is so promising, i want to see how this Antlia filter compared for example to Baader 3.5nm or Chroma 3nm.

• RossW likes this

#9 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:24 AM

I tested 3nm Chroma on Vega with zero halo issues.

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

I tested 3nm Chroma on Vega with zero halo issues.

I don't doubt Chroma and Astrodon, i am not rich like you but i like 5nm Astrodon and i am sure i will be happy with my new 3nm Chroma filters too [no Ha], but i wanted to see more about Antlia 3.5nm filters, i may think about Ha only more as i will use OIII 3nm, so no need to buy all Antlia filters, but i can at least have one filter at larger size either 36mm or 2", and i will use my 5nm/3nm 1.25" with another camera one filter at once, so i decided i will use OIII 3nm so i need just to add Ha 3.5nm to be fine, but who knows if i can add another OIII/SII in future too.

#11 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:09 AM

That's good performance. I think it shows no halos under 4th mag.

I have Astrodons. I would have to check my images on brighter stars to compare.

Who sell these?

Max

#12 SoDaKAstroNut

SoDaKAstroNut

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Black Hills, South Dakota

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

Got my 3.5nm OIII through AgenaAstro.

#13 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

I wish if Agena sells 31mm sizes, or even 50mm if one day i think about this size, so for now i have to decide between the available sizes one day.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics