•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Wedge at 15deg Lat.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Muppy

Muppy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lusaka, Zambia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:28 AM

Greetings All,
I have of a brand-new Meade X-Wedge for use with my Meade LX-200GPS 10” Alt/Az telescope.

I live in Lusaka, Zambia and my latitude is 15deg south.

I am able to use the X-Wedge at a latitude of 15deg. The instruction manual and wedge markings indicate that it can only be used with latitudes of 25deg to 57deg only.

Looks like I have made a very expensive mistake in buying the wedge 😫😤!!

Any ideas as to how I might be able to resolve this problem.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
M. Mwanakatwe

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

Hey I have an quick solution and then a long term solution.

Due to how the Xwedge is mounted you can lower the single leg a little bit and this will achieve the needed lattitude.

Long term solution is as follows for the X-Wedge...
Note the telescope wedge plate is secured by two rows of 5 hex bolts. }

If you have a local machine shop made a shim plate you can slid it between the wedge plate and the rest of the wedge. This shim can either go all the way across or make one for each side. It needs to have a channel in the shim to allow the bolt's threads to pass through to the original hole. You will need to get some longer hex bolts but by doing this you can create enough adjustment to achieve your local lattitude.

Attached Thumbnails

• wedgefix.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics