•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200GPS 10” Wedge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muppy

Muppy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lusaka, Zambia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

Greetings All,
I have of a brand-new Meade X-Wedge for use with my Meade LX-200GPS 10” Alt/Az telescope.

I live in Lusaka, Zambia and my latitude is 15deg south.

I am able to use the X-Wedge at a latitude of 15deg. The instruction manual and wedge markings indicate that it can only be used with latitudes of 25deg to 57deg only.

Looks like I have made a very expensive mistake in buying the wedge 😫😤!!

Any ideas as to how I might be able to resolve this problem.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
M. Mwanakatwe

#2 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:16 AM

At 15 degrees latitude the wedge would have to be tilted 90 - 15 = 75 degrees, which is possibly considered too much for a 10" 'scope.

#3 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

You could make a 10-degree wedge out of some sort of hardwood and place it underneath the Meade wedge-- this would get you over to 15-degrees.  The telescope would be leaning over pretty far at this point, but that is separate issue which may or may not cause problems.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

You could make a 10-degree wedge out of some sort of hardwood and place it underneath the Meade wedge-- this would get you over to 15-degrees.  The telescope would be leaning over pretty far at this point, but that is separate issue which may or may not cause problems.

On a pier this would work. On a tripod? You'd be courting disaster, I'm afraid. 

#5 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

At 15 degrees latitude the wedge would have to be tilted 90 - 15 = 75 degrees, which is possibly considered too much for a 10" 'scope.

My Celestron NexStar wedge shows 0 degrees to 70 degrees on the scale, but at 0 degrees (on the equator) the mount would be tilted at 90 degrees, which sounds a bit extreme. The tilt looks a alarming enough at my latitude, 33.75 degrees.

By the way, is 57 degrees a typing error? Should I'd have been 75 degrees.

I am puzzled as to why they don't go to 90 degrees. I suppose it's because the bolts that secure the mount prevent the mount from folding to the flat position.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics