•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning a Vintage Meade 2 Inch Diagonal Mirror

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sunfunchicago

sunfunchicago

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: In the Bright Lights of Chicago

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:39 AM

Good Morning All,

Last night I went to clean the mirror in the 2 inch diagonal that came with my Vintage Meade LX3 - 8 inch scope.

I thought it would go quickly and smoothly until I took off the back. The mirror is mounted into a recessed into the back plate and appears to held in with "cork" shims. Prior to seeing this I planned on cleaning by: place under running water, might add a small amount of dish soap, rinsed off with distilled water when finished, air dry.  If you look closely, there is a black speck attached that I'm unsure if that will come off.

My question is, can I wash the mirror while it’s mounted in the back plate? Would that damage the cork? Is the mirror also glued in?

Or, do I gently pry off the mirror from the back plate then clean? Is it tricky to get the mirror back in? Are any witness marks required on the mirror/ plate? Does anyone think in either process will the cork need to be replaced on this 35 year old diagonal? Where do I pick cork up from?

I have experience cleaning mirrors, the secondary on an LX 200, and the primary on a 8 inch Dobson. I wanted to ask on CN since I couldn't find a solid information in the forums/ pics/ youtube/ etc. Thanks, Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3795.jpg
  • IMG_3793.jpg

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:56 AM

Turn it upside down and let the mirror fall into you hands and clean it.

If the cork shims fall out, just put two in (at one end) and them place the mirror carefully back in place and then add the remaining shims.

#3 sunfunchicago

sunfunchicago

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: In the Bright Lights of Chicago

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

Hi  Mike,  Thanks for the reply - Last night I did try to gently pull the mirror out.  With your response, I worked more at it using a couple paperclips that I bent into a shallow hooks to tug the mirror out.  It took more to remove than I anticipated. Then a rinse, little bit of soap, distilled water, and dry.  The small black speck was washed away and it took with it the aluminum underneath.  It's better now...  I'm all set - Thanks Again.  Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3797.JPG
  • IMG_3799.JPG
  • IMG_3795.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics