•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount storage - clutches

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Craig_

Craig_

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:12 AM

Potentially a bit of a silly question but... I finally found a good case to suit my EQ6-R today and as I was packing it in, I was wondering - are you supposed to store these with the RA and Dec clutch levers engaged (tightened) or just loose? I find it's a bit easier to put away if they are engaged. The manual doesn't make mention of it so not sure it matters either way, but just curious what others do?

#2 John Rose

John Rose

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

I leave the locks tight while I put an LX200 in a case.  Then release them. Scope quite often settles into a different postion versus the mount.  When I go to remove it, I tighten the locks. I have one LX200 I bought used and the azimuth lock had been left tight for several years.  It had "cold welded" in place and I had to dismantle the base to fix it.

John Rose

#3 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

My only fear, and that is hypothetical, would be if the engaged position doesn't match the resting position. This would result in the clutches holding against the weight of the mount while it is stored or traveling; especially traveling.

#4 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

When I purchased my NJP the previous owner told me to leave the clutches loose to avoid flat-spotting the worm gear.

#5 Endymion

Endymion

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

Definitely leave the clutches loose.

#6 Craig_

Craig_

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the opinions all. Looks like leaving them unlocked it is!

My only fear, and that is hypothetical, would be if the engaged position doesn't match the resting position. This would result in the clutches holding against the weight of the mount while it is stored or traveling; especially traveling.

Not sure what you mean by this sorry. May not be the same for all mounts, but certainly with the EQ6-R as far as I can tell the clutch is bearing the same amount of weight regardless of position whilst in the foam case (based on the indentation the levers leave in the foam.)

#7 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

I only meant that if the axis of the mount were not laying flat, and were locked, the clutches would bear a greater load generated by any vibration, jostling or impact.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics