•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ED Doublet LRGB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas729

Douglas729

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:42 AM

I have an APM 140 ED refractor I purchased because it is excellent for visual observation but not being a triplet it is not ideal for CCD color images.

Does a CCD mono camera with an LRGB filter wheel negate that deficiency and create images that capture the color spectrum accurately like a good triplet refractor?

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

Should do a good job as you are in effect working with narrower bits of the spectrum, so CA on the RGB items should be not applicable. There is no R and B to form a purple halo around the G objects.

Might be slight refocus between R and G and B. Green likely being a fraction longer. But it is a "fraction", as in a really tiny fraction.

The L is the question, since that is still all the colors = white in effect. Shouldn't cause anything but unsure. Not enough experience I am afraid.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

Moving this to B&II for a potentially better fit.

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

I have an APM 140 ED refractor I purchased because it is excellent for visual observation but not being a triplet it is not ideal for CCD color images.

Does a CCD mono camera with an LRGB filter wheel negate that deficiency and create images that capture the color spectrum accurately like a good triplet refractor?

Not entirely. Many ED doublets perform acceptably well. However, even with a good ED doublet, you are likely to find spot sizes in some of the colors better than others. How much different they are will depend a lot on the glass used. To generalize (always a bit dangerous), the slower the f-ratio, the more likely you are to get away with the doublet but then you are looking at longer integration times.

#5 ks__observer

ks__observer

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Would perform fine for narrowband.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

Unless you are a very advanced imager, you would find the APM plenty good enough for astrophotography, even with a DSLR or OSC camera. You would have slightly more bloated stars perhaps than with a triplet, but you would probably do better by sinking money into mount and OAG and autofocus before worrying about the doublet vs. triplet difference. You are *not* going to have color aberrations.

Not trying to talk you out of mono LRGB imaging--that's the way to go for many reasons. But don't go that way because you worry about the scope. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics