•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ST4 or ASCOM for guiding ? What is better for AZEQ6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 inoxtrim

inoxtrim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canary Islands - La Palma - Gran Tcan Home

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:55 AM

Hello , friends recently I have been guiding through ascom port and usb 3.0 with with my laptop my AZEQ6

Right now I have installed a fixed PC in the observatory but with usb 2.0 ports
I have observed that the guidance is not the same, is like more "slow" the error is greater, and I do not know if it is due to UBS port type ,  I am thinking of guiding through ST4 but I don´t  know if it is better,  need your opinions.

Thanks

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

It is very unlikely the USB port is to blame. As long as you are getting the images from the camera, all should be fine.

The ST4 port should work fine too. But you will need to calibrate with every target. With the ST4 port, the guiding program does not know where the mount is pointed, so calibration on every target is necessary.

• bobzeq25 and inoxtrim like this

#3 inoxtrim

inoxtrim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

It is very unlikely the USB port is to blame. As long as you are getting the images from the camera, all should be fine.

The ST4 port should work fine too. But you will need to calibrate with every target. With the ST4 port, the guiding program does not know where the mount is pointed, so calibration on every target is necessary.

Thanks !!! well my QHY  guide camera is connected to usb HUB  with dslr camera auto focuser & EQMOD cable, maybe i should connect separate & directly to the pc ??

thanks

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

Unless you are getting camera time-outs, or actually having problems with the mount connection, again, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a QHY5L-IIm I use as a guide camera, and it is quite finicky about the connection. PHD2 lets me know in no uncertain terms when I am getting time-outs with the camera.

#5 Iver

Iver

Mariner 2

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

Hi, if you are guiding with PHD 2 you can use the ST4 guide port  select (on camera) for mount  and select your mount with the aux mount setting that way you will not need to re-calibrate for each target.

• jdupton and inoxtrim like this

#6 inoxtrim

inoxtrim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

Thanks iam going to try!!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics