•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding an Autoguider

astrophotography equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Buttery_Biscuit_Base

Buttery_Biscuit_Base

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

Hi, I'm looking at adding an autoguider to my current imaging setup. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to autoguiding, and just wondering if purchasing the following two items would be a good first step and will get me some good results? My budget is £300-£400.

• Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser
  • ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Camera

I was also thinking about the Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope, but I'm not entirely sure its worth its £159 price tag, when the Orion Deluxe Mini is only £96.99. Can anyone share their experiences with either of these guide scopes?

I'm looking to get much longer exposures out of my current setup, which is as follows:

• Sky-Watcher Explorer 150P-DS (f/5 - 750mm focal length)
  • Sky-Watcher HEQ5 PRO
  • Nikon D3200
  • Lynx Astro EQDIR USB for EQMOD and StellariumScope

Advise on the above, or any other autoguider recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I intend to start using PHD2, once I buy everything required for autoguiding.

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:26 PM

The Evoguide isn’t necessary. A guide scope does not have to be optically perfect to function. I also do not recommend that Orion Deluxe Mini Guide. It uses a rubber o-ring to mount into the finder stalk/holder. This could cause flexure. You want a guide scope that uses two sets of rings for a solid connection. 

+1 for the ZWO camera. Will work fine. 

Edited by Cometeer, 23 May 2020 - 08:26 PM.

#3 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

Take a look at amazons offerings for guidescopes. Plenty of decent 50, 60 & 70mm versions for a good price. Like Cometeer said, these don’t need to be optically perfect. The software handles finding the centroid pretty well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics