•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kendrick secondary heater for Quattro-8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

Hi guys -

I'm planning to upgrade from my small refractor to an SW Quattro-8 (or 200P as I guess it's now known).

I'm planning to buy a pair of Kendrick dew heaters with it, one for the primary and one for the secondary. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what size secondary heater to buy. It looks like the split type is best, but I can't find dimensions for the secondary mirror online and don't have the scope yet so can't measure. 

Is anyone using this system on a Quattro? What size heater should I get?

I'm also open to other suggestions!

Cheers,
Peter

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

Not sure of the Kendrick as I found them too costly.

I went with the R-Sky Dew heaters and was quite pleased with the value and service (Roman's the owner).

You'll most likely need type "B" but send Roman these measurements (to be certain).

The Secondary heaters are the "wrap around type) and the wire is hidden on the of the Spider Vane.

Not sure of the Primary heater as I didn't think it was that common (needed)?

#3 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Best to get the OTA first then add the heater after measuring.

The split one did not fit on my GSO truss newt. I got it to fit when I redid the mounting of the mirror using silicone but then using it induced immediate secondary pinching.

For me my primary is cronical and so all I found to use as heater was a self adhesive silicone heater patch off AliExpress. And i stuck it to the aluminum back plate the mirror is attached to. The heat wicks up the metal shaft the mirror is mounted on and I find it enough to keep dew off. The secondary seems to also be kept dew free.

Speaking of which you can find round silicone heater patches off AliExpress. And they look and work similar to specifically made scope heaters. Just find the right wattage.

Edited by gotak, 23 May 2020 - 01:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics