•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finderscope help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Raiders

Raiders

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

I’m looking to upgrade my finderscope on my Celestron CPC 1100. I’m interested in Stellarvue 9x50, along with their ring system mount. My concern is I’m using 1/8 inch longer mounting screw with the stock mount to OTA. The top threads are stripped so I needed an extra 1/8 inch and all is well with stock mounting plate. I’m not sure how the thickness of the stock mount vs Stellarvue mount. Does the Stellarvue mount use two screws like the stock Celestron mounting bracket uses ?
Any advice appreciated.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

Stripped screws are trash. Longer than spec screws can cause interference that might not be apparent until damage is done. I expect SV supplies all you need to mount their excellent finder scopes. You may want to ask them. They're very helpful and pleasant.

#3 Raiders

Raiders

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

Stripped screws are trash. Longer than spec screws can cause interference that might not be apparent until damage is done. I expect SV supplies all you need to mount their excellent finder scopes. You may want to ask them. They're very helpful and pleasant.

The OTA is striped not the screw. Celestron fabricated and additional 1/8 inch so the stock finder bracket can secure. I’m trying to find out if the screw provided by SV would secure their base considering the first 1/8 inch of thread on OTA is stripped. If I were to not use a finderscope the original screws would be to short to return to no bracket attached. I really want the SV but not sure if if I can use the custom screw from Celestron or if SV screw will be long enough to compensate for the partially stripped OTA

#4 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

Maybe if all else fails  - shop the hardware store and look for thicker screws - that will grip in existing holes. 

I agree with havasman, I wouldn't use longer ones. 

-Lauren  

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

The right fix for a stripped hole is a helicoil but installing one would probably end up with chips in the OTA. 

I think you can only order the finder and then carefully install it. 

You may have to buy new screws and maybe even shorten them.

Jon

#6 astro744

astro744

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

Maybe try Loctite ‘Form-A-Thread’ repair paste (2 pack mixture).  I used this to repair a worn thread on a diagonal lock screw (hole was worn) and it’s held nicely.  You have to apply carefully perhaps with a Q-tip and maybe with the hole facing down.  It will set quickly and the thread of the good screw becomes the tap to cut the new thread into the setting paste.  Just follow the instructions that come with it.  I bought the two pack syringe type similar to epoxy resin.

• xiando and Raiders like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics