•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this possible on an Astronomy app to “plot” a session?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

Hey all,

As I was scanning the skies last night I was wondering if there is a setting or an app that would track, plot and log the movements of your scope thru a whole evening. You know like if you had a GPS and did a hike where it plots your actual path on a map? It would serve nothing more than to be a reminder of what you were looking at throughout the night and see all the strange slewing movements of the scope. Other than centering a target and going into a menu and saying “I observed such and such” I don’t see any way to automatically log what a night observing session looked like. Thought it may be cool to see the actual observing tracks plotted on the sky map and how I got to them... Or at least an accurate history of objects selected with the go-to and the time selected automatically logged for later review.

I currently use Sky Safari Pro...

just wondering... has anyone found such software or menu? It’s gotta be possible right?

#2 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

I can't say for sure (I've been running the same version "forever" and really don't save logs for it),  but it's possible that PHD2 Guiding or one of the other guiding packages can log position info.

https://openphdguiding.org/

I'm sure someone more saavy will pop up to give you a more authoritative answer.

Edited by xiando, 23 May 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#3 John Carlini

John Carlini

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

I suppose it's possible for goto mounts to automatically record mount movement. I'd be interested in hearing more if software does exist to do that function. I've seen software that will do satellite tracking but not logging.

I use apps mainly for preplanning an evening session. However, since I do primarily astrophotography, I like to check out my frames against a big database by uploading images to: http://nova.astrometry.net

The database provides an accurate log of objects imaged against stellar coordinates. It's also useful in identifying an unknown target or location when blind mapping an area. In many ways it provides an accurate log of objects covered during an evening session.

Edited by John Carlini, 23 May 2020 - 11:54 PM.

#4 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

SkySafari does have a History List showing all the objects that were selected.  No time stamps though.

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:03 AM

For the software developers out there, this would be a simple function to program.  A standalone application that interrogates the mount periodically and records its RA/Dec position along with a time stamp.  You could get all fancy with graphics for the playback, but recording would be simple.

Maybe when I have nothing else to do ...

Edited by kathyastro, 24 May 2020 - 08:04 AM.

• jdupton and xiando like this

#6 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:20 AM

For the software developers out there, this would be a simple function to program.  A standalone application that interrogates the mount periodically and records its RA/Dec position along with a time stamp.  You could get all fancy with graphics for the playback, but recording would be simple.

Maybe when I have nothing else to do ...

One would think that something like PHD Guiding could be code-augmented to log the positional info, since it's already acquiring/processing that info isn't it?) 

#7 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

For the software developers out there, this would be a simple function to program.

Yes, it is not too difficult to program, but I’m not convinced this is something many people would use.  This is the first time I’ve heard this feature request.

• Jon Isaacs and xiando like this

#8 spereira

spereira

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:51 AM

Moving this to Astronomy Software & Computers, for a better fit.

smp

#9 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

Yes, it is not too difficult to program, but I’m not convinced this is something many people would use.  This is the first time I’ve heard this feature request.

Correct, perhaps not too useful from a technical sense,.. but I suspect If it were an option then people would find it at least interesting to go back thru their “plotted log” for review and reinforcement of the previous nights observing session.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics