•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS enters into the field of view of M81 & M82 Animated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 h2ologg

h2ologg

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California Beach area

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

Hi All,

Wanted to send out the preliminary images of Comet T2 PANSTARRS as it entered into the field of view of M81 and M82 last night and this morning.  The animations for the RASA 8 were made from 131 x 180 second frames and set in a quick YouTube video with lousy music.  Watch for the debayered animation is at the end. 

My Next step will be to integrate into a single image - uses extensive processor time, but I'm on it.

The comet will still be close to the same star field for one more night (wide field scopes of course) and might still be an interesting subject for regular DSLRs.

https://youtu.be/SAYS_LFbmoY

Best,

Dan

• canopus56, Mike Phillips, eros312 and 8 others like this

#2 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.6N, 78.7W

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Great work, esp the color variety!  Seems a bit compressed in the video rendering package or the upload to YT, but quite lovely!

• h2ologg likes this

#3 h2ologg

h2ologg

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California Beach area

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:16 PM

Great work, esp the color variety!  Seems a bit compressed in the video rendering package or the upload to YT, but quite lovely!

Thanks Mike, The video runs best when you select 1080p.  Otherwise the graininess comes from the noise in the single light frames.

Dan

#4 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.6N, 78.7W

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

Ah, yes, I have some comet vids myself and should have known better: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics