•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Warning - New ASI ASCOM Driver

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

I was working on refreshing one of my imaging boxes, and went to install the ASI ASCOM driver, and noticed that the version dated 5/20/2020 was requiring an update to the ASCOM platform to 6.5. Knowing that the current stable version of ASCOM is 6.4SP1, I went ahead and followed the ZWO link and installed the 6.5 package. This is the RC2 (Release Candidate 2) version of the ASCOM platform -- which more advanced users may not care about running vs 6.4 SP1. For less advanced users running pre-release versions of software can cause problems.

For those that do not want to run the RC2 version of ASCOM 6.5 -- stick to the existing driver or use the link on their site to install the previous version instead. 

I also looked to determine what the new driver was offering, and all the release notes say is "fix some bugs" so it is not clear at all what the advantage is to moving to 6.5 RC2 to install this new driver version. In minor amounts of testing I have done, the 5/20 driver seems to work just fine with the 6200 camera. It was working just fine prior as well. ZWO should give people more transparency into what bugs were fixed. This applies to the SDK as well, which is also showing a 5/20 update. I have no idea what that update is for, so would have a hard time suggesting developers stop and update their libraries to support it.

Just a fair warning to folks and a few rants about transparency. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 23 May 2020 - 02:43 PM.

• dswtan, Jim Waters, elmiko and 2 others like this

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Mariner 2

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:00 PM

To me it means one thing potential trouble as far as beta updates and a working machine are concerned, here's an old quote, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

• mikefulb and elmiko like this

#3 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:05 PM

To me it means one thing potential trouble as far as beta updates and a working machine are concerned, here's an old quote, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I am not fixing anything. I am warning people, that may be installing their drivers for the first time and doesn't know any better or someone that is updating and doesn't know any better. The latter of which, the age old saying you quoted certainly applies. The former, it does not.

As far as my rant about transparency goes -- something was broken (fix some bugs) but it is not clear what was broken and fixed with the update.

Edited by rockstarbill, 23 May 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

I found out from another forum saying ASCOM are close to fully releasing a new Camera device spec, which includes offset and gain settings. That's some welcome news.

I would think that the latest ZWO ASCOM camera driver would work fine with latest release of ASCOM 6.4SP1. Just backup your previous ZWO ASCOM driver to be safe.

Peter 

#5 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

I would think that the latest ZWO ASCOM camera driver would work fine with latest release of ASCOM 6.4SP1. Just backup your previous ZWO ASCOM driver to be safe.

Peter 

It will not install if you do not have ASCOM 6.5. You get a dialog that tells you to upgrade. That is another concern I have.

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

That's interesting. 

Peter 

• rockstarbill likes this

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:11 PM

That's interesting. 

Peter 

It may get more interesting once I connect the MiniPC system to the rest of my gear for testing. Queue up the explosion of other ASCOM drivers now... ;)  

#8 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:48 PM

Glad I saw this before updating!

• IshanAstronomer and rockstarbill like this

#9 mtc

mtc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chelmsford, MA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the notification. I will proceed carefully when I install my new camera sw drivers.

#10 terrypaula

terrypaula

Mariner 2

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

I was just agreeing with the original author. I am a retied network administrator I can say from experience if your machine is operating properly a person should backup what you have before deploying any beta release.  Unless you, not personally, really enjoy re-installing and reconfiguring a computer system.

Edited by terrypaula, 25 May 2020 - 08:05 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics