•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX65 mount in operation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

As I mentioned in another posting, I received the Meade LX65 mount back about 1 month ago and have used it mainly as my Solar observation and imaging station. However, I took it out with me to a favorite open sky location about 4 miles from my house. I set it up initially to operate with my Orion 120ST refractor and Astro-Tech 80ED telescope, but problems with focusing on the Orion 120 ST made me dismount that scope and use the AT80ED primarily instead.

I did the mundane two star alignment, which was successful. I then wanted to test the mounts accuracy, so I started hunting down messier objects visually. Well, because of my years of imaging, I really could not see much in the way of any messier's other than M13 and M81. The skies have become too light polluted. So, I took out my camera, an ASI294MC and started doing EAA imaging.

I should note that the field of view on my 80ED refractor was pretty wide, 1.96 degrees by 1.34 degrees, so ample room to grab whatever object I slewed to. The GoTo's were nearly dead nuts. The objects in question, about 19 messier objects, came nearly into the center of the FOV. I did not have to re-frame very many objects because the goto was so good. However, in multiple object frames, I did reposition the FOV to get two or more objects lined up in the frame. After 19 objects, the goto's started to drift, but all of them were in the FOV without having to look for the object. I would suspect that the LX65 mount would be a good mount for wide field refractors and newtonians, up to 15lbs in weight, but with narrow FOV, the goto's might not be so accurate. Having the wide FOV makes finding objects pretty good.

You can add a secondary telescope on the outside dovetail mount, but nothing over 7 lbs. My AT80ED weighs in at just 7 lbs with all the accessories and the Orion 120 ST weighed about 12 lbs. I plan on buying the Meade ACF 6" SCT soon to pair with the AT80ED for night time astronomy, but primarily use the AT80ED for CaK solar imaging along with my PST.

The only two CONS I have with this scope is a) the gears in the Alt and Az motors are very loud when slewing, anything over 64X speed and it starts to get annoying. Anything under 64X and it is silent when slewing manually. However, the tracking noises are silent, not one squeak while I am tracking.

The second CON is that the mounting interface between the mount and the tripod is atrocious. If you want to level the mount, you take off the mount and level the tripod, then reattach the mount to the tripod, but the interface is just too darn frustrating! You need to align the pyramid indentation, with the pyramid protrusion on the tripod and then align the hold down bolts to their respectable holes, but that is a test of futility if you ask me. I just leave the hole thing attached and just estimate the level before I starting aligning.

Attached Thumbnails

• Messier_51.jpg

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

Heya, I have the LX65 as well.  Added to my collection last year for the widefield and short tube scopes I have like an ST80, ETX90 and even my ED80.   Due to the crazy weather this year I haven't used it much other than working with it inside testing out a Raspberry Pi Astroberry control system.  

That tripod integration is the worst! 

There is an adapter plate which can be picked up from Meade so the LX65 and others can be used on the standard field tripod.  

BTW, the LX65 can be fooled into thinking it's an LX90 and you can use the equatorial feature for longer exposure if you have a wedge.  I'm going to give this a try later.  

#3 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

Can you point me towards this adapter plate, Do you have a link?

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

Sorry, I thought I had included the link.   

https://www.meade.co...lx65-ls-lt.html

#5 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Thanks, I will purchase that and get a new Standard field tripod too!

#6 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:40 PM

Heya, I have the LX65 as well.  Added to my collection last year for the widefield and short tube scopes I have like an ST80, ETX90 and even my ED80.   Due to the crazy weather this year I haven't used it much other than working with it inside testing out a Raspberry Pi Astroberry control system.  

That tripod integration is the worst! 

There is an adapter plate which can be picked up from Meade so the LX65 and others can be used on the standard field tripod.  

BTW, the LX65 can be fooled into thinking it's an LX90 and you can use the equatorial feature for longer exposure if you have a wedge.  I'm going to give this a try later.  

How do you fool the LX65 into thinking it's an LX90?

#7 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

Go into the Setup>Telescope>Telescope model

Remember these telescopes all use the same hand controller, that's why this works.  

Changing the model type gives access to the LX90 menu which includes both Alt-Az and Equatorial mode. 

#8 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Go into the Setup>Telescope>Telescope model

Remember these telescopes all use the same hand controller, that's why this works.  

Changing the model type gives access to the LX90 menu which includes both Alt-Az and Equatorial mode. 

When the Audiostar boots it reads what type of drives are installed and the different types of scopes available in the menu would depend on the type of drive it detects. I have a LX90ACF and in my Telescope model menu I do have a LX65 available so with a LX65 you should have a LX90 available. The only possible  problem  could be that the gear ratio is not the same or it may not be "+" or "-" but that can be set manually. The gear ratio on my LX90 is Az/RA -2.75074482 and Alt/Dec +2.75074482.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics