•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shocker: $7.60 VITE 23mm Eyepiece beats others for detail

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:14 AM

Nice thread! waytogo.gif

Forget about lanthanum and ED, get rid your Naglers and Pentaxes! 

Use cheap eyepieces based on molded plastic elements with bright contrast image...

Very true.  Carry on the John Dobson revolution!  We don't need expensive snooty gear to observe and enjoy the heavens!  Build or buy any scope you can!  Don't suggest to newbies to get $1000+ eyepieces...ridiculous.  Even a cheap $7 eyepiece will give a great view!!!  He was right too!  I can see all the same celestial objects and they all look wonderful whether using this $7 eyepiece or a $300 Pentax!  John Dobson...bow.gif

Edited by BillP, 28 May 2020 - 06:17 AM.

• Jaimo!, eros312, LDW47 and 1 other like this

#27 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:49 AM

Very true.  Carry on the John Dobson revolution!  We don't need expensive snooty gear to observe and enjoy the heavens!  Build or buy any scope you can!  Don't suggest to newbies to get $1000+ eyepieces...ridiculous.  Even a cheap $7 eyepiece will give a great view!!!  He was right too!  I can see all the same celestial objects and they all look wonderful whether using this $7 eyepiece or a $300 Pentax!  John Dobson...bow.gif

Buuut through expensive top class telescopes. ;)

#28 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

What is the eye relief like on this set and are the other eyepieces comparable or is the 23mm the only one worth having?

#29 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

What is the eye relief like on this set and are the other eyepieces comparable or is the 23mm the only one worth having?

Not sure.  Both 23 and 10 are useful and good to observe with.  4mm is soft and dim, at least the one I have.  The 23 and 10 are both sharp with excellent contrast, leaving things like the 4x more expensive GSO Plossl in the dust, at least the ones I have.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#30 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

I don't recall the details, maybe you do Bill...  I thought it was possible to remove the Smythe or LBF group (Not technically sure of the name as per this thread) for a better corrected ~7mm eyepiece?  Anyone have this experience and want to refresh my fading memories?

#31 BKSo

BKSo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

Do you clean them often or use solvents? I am assuming you are talking only the eye lens?

Just Zeiss lens wipe and a couple of times a year max. However the pollutants in a snowflake attacked the coating on the eyelens and left a mark. So exposure to air is bad.

And how can any semi-decent eyepiece be ‘left in dust’ by a $7.5 cheapo?

#32 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Apollo

• Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:52 PM

Very true.  

Hmm... confused1.gif 

It was sarcasm from my side.

That enthusiastic start topic looks based on misconception and/or little experience in observation. 

I tested the eyepiece - it quality exact equal to its price. It is not bright, has moderate correction on axis and just very bad over field.   

#33 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:17 PM

Nice thread! waytogo.gif

Forget about lanthanum and ED, get rid your Naglers and Pentaxes! 

Use cheap eyepieces based on molded plastic elements with bright contrast image...

No one is suggesting that.  Some camera lenses using plastic aspherics as molded on elements to glass elements cost thousands of dollars.  What do they know, it's only Nikon, Canon, Sony...

#34 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

Just Zeiss lens wipe and a couple of times a year max. However the pollutants in a snowflake attacked the coating on the eyelens and left a mark. So exposure to air is bad.

And how can any semi-decent eyepiece be ‘left in dust’ by a $7.5 cheapo?

All kinds of organic contaminants can permanently impact plastics and coatings on glass lenses and even the glass itself, if given enough time.  But if someone is stupid and uses say, acetone or an aggressive alcohol on a plastic element, it could have a bad effect as well.  

#35 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

No one is suggesting that. Some camera lenses using plastic aspherics as molded on elements to glass elements cost thousands of dollars. What do they know, it's only Nikon, Canon, Sony...

Idk, I mean my eyeglasses are plastic because it is lighter weight than glass, so clearly plastic can be very effective. But my glasses and these lenses you talk about are very expensive. How much can we really expect from the cheap stuff? But you make a point, just being plastic alone doesn’t necessarily make them bad. It is more the low price point that makes me think they won’t hold a candle to my existing eyepieces, and the money spent would solely be to see how functional a $10 eyepiece is. That and some of these reviews. It’s confusing though because some say they are better than, well, say $35 Plossls, and others say they are about the worst eyepieces ever made. I mean Bill wrote a book on eyepieces. Presumably he knows a thing or two about evaluating them. So maybe he is right and there is just a LOT of sample variation, accounting for rather different opinions.

Scott

#36 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:49 PM

Idk, I mean my eyeglasses are plastic because it is lighter weight than glass, so clearly plastic can be very effective. But my glasses and these lenses you talk about are very expensive. How much can we really expect from the cheap stuff? But you make a point, just being plastic alone doesn’t necessarily make them bad. It is more the low price point that makes me think they won’t hold a candle to my existing eyepieces, and the money spent would solely be to see how functional a $10 eyepiece is. That and some of these reviews. It’s confusing though because some say they are better than, well, say $35 Plossls, and others say they are about the worst eyepieces ever made. I mean Bill wrote a book on eyepieces. Presumably he knows a thing or two about evaluating them. So maybe he is right and there is just a LOT of sample variation, accounting for rather different opinions.

Scott

My only claim in this regard is that centrally, the eyepiece showed higher resolution than what I tested  it against.  No other claims are made for it.  But if people are curious about it, lets face it, $22.50 for a set of  three eyepieces is hardly a financial risk.

• LDW47 likes this

#37 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

Years ago when the 23 came out some people suggested it was almost as good as a 24 pan. let the fireworks begin. I didn't.

Edited by starcam, 29 May 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#38 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

I've ordered a set and look forward to trying them out. I don't expect them to beat out my ES or Morpheus, but they should make great outreach EPs.

#39 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:50 AM

A great post ! Many have always said you don’t need expensive, prestige type ep’s to get great views while having tons of fun checking out those dark nite skize. The ones that have been mentioned so far are just the ‘ proof is in the pudding ‘ and I think it is just the beginning. I know the Svbony ep and filters that I have have been amazing so far and my pocket book agrees ! And as far as the eps destroying themselves after a couple of years I just don’t plain believe that unless an expert in the field of manufacture tells us exactly why ! Clear tell us skiys !

#40 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:56 AM

My only claim in this regard is that centrally, the eyepiece showed higher resolution than what I tested  it against.  No other claims are made for it.  But if people are curious about it, lets face it, $22.50 for a set of  three eyepieces is hardly a financial risk.

For most the centre is most important, its what counts, the peripheral details will work out or be ignored ! Unless of course you are a perfectionist or have a big budget that you just have to spend on a hobby, lol !  Clear fun skiys ! 

#41 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:11 AM

Scott

The one thing you didn’t mention, for whatever reason, is price point vs profit margin ! Eyeglasses with prescription plastic lens, even more so bifocal and trifocal, have a huge profit margin but the plastic lens do an excellent job ! The plastic lenses in these low cost eps do a great job but obviously the profit margin is hugely less, maybe its because where or how they are made or maybe its just a case of much less greed ? Who knows ‘ only the shadow knows ‘, lol ! Clear wondrous vues !  PS: I’ll vote for Svbony and their relatives any day for anyone wanting great views but not break the bank and don’t care about details that most times you have to stare down just to see the flaws !

#42 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:13 AM

The VITE eyepieces can be bought in 3 piece sets (23mm, 10mm and 4mm) for about $25.00.  The eyepieces themselves are aspheric designs with 60 deg. fields of view.  I compared the 23mm to a 25mm "ED" (BST type) eyepiece, a 26mm Meade Super Plossl and a 24mm Vernonscope Brandon eyepiece.  I used an 80mm f/6.0 triplet apo which presents a fairly strong test for eyepieces.  Now, forget "across the field."  None of they eyepieces mentioned are good at that in such a fast scope.  They all have issue with edge of field views, the VITE's being the worst, it needs a long focal length scope like an SCT or a Mak or a long refractor.  But, centrally, the VITE easily bested the other eyepieces.  I used them on the Moon, Jupiter and in daylight.  Details that escaped the others were visible in the VITE in the centre of the field.  In addition, the view in the VITE was brighter than any of the other eyepieces.  The Brandon was the least-bright, likely because of its old single-layer mag-fluoride coatings.  The Brandon dates from the 1980's.  The reason the VITE beat the others could be due to a number of possible technical attributes.  Plastic elements. I believe the eye lens is at least part plastic and anything aspheric that is that inexpensive must have a molded plastic element.  Molded plastic has one major plus and that is that the surface of the plastic is essentially perfect.  There is no "scratch and dig" profile because the plastic isn't polished, it's melted and allowed to harden instead.  Another reason for the definition might be fewer elements to degrade contrast.  Whatever the reason, the view was great.  In-fact, if you cut-off the VITE's FOV and cut it down to 20 degrees, it would be a worthy successor to the now defunct monocentric and other hyper-simplified designs for planetary definition. 

From left to right in the image:  The ED 25mm, the VITE, the Meade SP and the Brandon.

This is a truly great post ! It could be on the cusp of an awakening in eyepieces !  Clear great skize !

#43 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

The problem with the original post was he was doing a lunar shootout at 18x-21x. Kind of meaningless IMHO. But others have chimed in, some saying the Vites are sharp on axis as Rich says, others disagreeing.

Scott

#44 ponybird

ponybird

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

So after reading this thread I ordered 68^ Svbony 15 & 9mm ep's with (stated) 17mm eye relief and a Svbony 2X barlow with brass compression ring today for a total of $92.90 shipped.

I don't have the budget for high $ ep's although I'm sure the views are so much better than the budget oriented lines but it could be my one good eyeball is probably only good up to about 100 bucks worth of quality (ha).

There have been some comments on this thread by some members who I like to follow for advice and ideas that have some mighty fine equipment but didn't tend to degrade the budget items and at the same time offering alternatives to the high priced stuff. I sometimes google members listed pieces or advised pieces of gear for info and future reference if I ever hit a lottery. Hence my decision to try the Svbony line. If it works out, great. If not then I'm still not homeless and if one gets dropped on the driveway its $35, not $350.

Sometimes reading these forums likens some of us astro-buffs to pawns on an island of kings or the guy who walks in a Ferrari store with a bicycle budget. I'm a simple guy who doesn't understand all the technical jargon that tends to permeate every aspect of this hobby and I don't really want to. I'm sure it helps those who understand it and that's a good thing but it is just a hobby to me, not college physics. I just want to see stuff way out there through a simple xt8 I bought used with the few pieces I got with it and the new gadgets when they get here.

• eros312 likes this

#45 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

The one thing you didn’t mention, for whatever reason, is price point vs profit margin ! Eyeglasses with prescription plastic lens, even more so bifocal and trifocal, have a huge profit margin but the plastic lens do an excellent job ! The plastic lenses in these low cost eps do a great job but obviously the profit margin is hugely less, maybe its because where or how they are made or maybe its just a case of much less greed ? Who knows ‘ only the shadow knows ‘, lol ! Clear wondrous vues !  PS: I’ll vote for Svbony and their relatives any day for anyone wanting great views but not break the bank and don’t care about details that most times you have to stare down just to see the flaws !

They banned glass lenses in some places for glasses because of the danger of shattering.   The best sunglasses I ever had were glass Serengeti, but I stupidly lost them mountain biking.  

#46 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

So after reading this thread I ordered 68^ Svbony 15 & 9mm ep's with (stated) 17mm eye relief and a Svbony 2X barlow with brass compression ring today for a total of $92.90 shipped.

I don't have the budget for high $ ep's although I'm sure the views are so much better than the budget oriented lines but it could be my one good eyeball is probably only good up to about 100 bucks worth of quality (ha).

There have been some comments on this thread by some members who I like to follow for advice and ideas that have some mighty fine equipment but didn't tend to degrade the budget items and at the same time offering alternatives to the high priced stuff. I sometimes google members listed pieces or advised pieces of gear for info and future reference if I ever hit a lottery. Hence my decision to try the Svbony line. If it works out, great. If not then I'm still not homeless and if one gets dropped on the driveway its $35, not $350.

Sometimes reading these forums likens some of us astro-buffs to pawns on an island of kings or the guy who walks in a Ferrari store with a bicycle budget. I'm a simple guy who doesn't understand all the technical jargon that tends to permeate every aspect of this hobby and I don't really want to. I'm sure it helps those who understand it and that's a good thing but it is just a hobby to me, not college physics. I just want to see stuff way out there through a simple xt8 I bought used with the few pieces I got with it and the new gadgets when they get here.

I got the 15mm free with a scope I bought and sold and it's not bad.  Not a Panoptic but it's as small as a Plossl.

• ponybird likes this

#47 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

Don’t worry you aren’t alone in those feelings, lets face it ‘ its just a hobby ‘ not a fashion show !  Clear hobbyist skiys !

Edited by LDW47, 30 May 2020 - 08:54 PM.

• ponybird likes this

#48 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

They banned glass lenses in some places for glasses because of the danger of shattering.   The best sunglasses I ever had were glass Serengeti, but I stupidly lost them mountain biking.  

I can get glass up here with no problem but my optometrist says its the new poly type materials vs the weight of glass lenses !  Clear poly eyes !

• RichA likes this

#49 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:42 AM

The problem with the original post was he was doing a lunar shootout at 18x-21x. Kind of meaningless IMHO. But others have chimed in, some saying the Vites are sharp on axis as Rich says, others disagreeing.

Scott

I'll try the same lot out on a ETX 125, 1900mm focal length.  So powers will be in the 80x region.  Should be interesting.

• eros312 and SeattleScott like this

#50 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:47 AM

The Moon at 80x is no exactly a challenging test; I'd rather try them on very bright stars, maybe wide, uneven double stars, or "peculiar" targets such as the Pleiades.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics